INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IOS 10 and JRemote  (Read 20648 times)

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
IOS 10 and JRemote
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:55:46 pm »

Hello. I saw that IOS 10 will be coming out soon for iphones and Ipads. Since I regularly use JRemote I was wondering if anyone has tested JRemote with the IOS 10 software. Maybe with a beta version?

Hope to get some feedback as last years IOS 9 update didn't play well with JRemote at first.

Anyone testing this? Would like to know if JRemote is compatible with IOS 10 before updating.

Thanks!
Spencer

amsco15

• World Citizen
Re: IOS 10 and JRemote
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:09 am »

Anyone know if it's safe to install iOS 10?  I'm waiting a while based upon the iOS 9 experience.  JRemote is my most critical iPhone app.  Hoping someone has installed a beta version.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 11:24:23 am »

I really think this is worth answering now. Even with an "we don't know yet". I think Hendrik was the last person who worked on JRemote. Whatever info will be valuable.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 04:20:49 pm »

... well .. I was the brave one and tried it on my iPhone 6, and it's working just fine so far ...

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:06:29 pm »

Tried on my iPad.  Use my phone to control MC in general (have not installed on my phone).  Selecting four songs at random, all seemed okay until I looked at playing now.  Only one song appeared on the list but did say 1 of 4.  After the first song was completed, the other 3 appeared.  Also, shutting down the app and restarting made all 4 appear.  Seems like a small issue but something.  Problem only happened when selecting individual songs from a playlist.  Selecting an entire album appears to properly show on the playing now list.

One more issue, it does appear to be somewhat unstable.  Crashed multiple times selecting the Action button to Clear "Now Playing."  To get this crash to repeat, select the action button, then tap somewhere else, then select the action button again: crash!

Neither issue occurred on iOS9.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:23:54 am »

I installed IOS 10 and can confirm the JRemote app works beautifully on my Iphone 6S and Ipad Mini! And to make things even better, the search function within "Artist", "Album" now works on the ipad Mini. You can type artist or album and it auto populates! This is great and did not work in IOS 9. This makes me very happy!!

So, all good here.

Thanks,
Spencer

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:31:29 pm »

Maybe it has to do with how JRemote is used?  I only use it as a DLNA controller.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 06:40:33 pm »

Sorry, going to keep posting. 

JRemote problem on iPad mini 4 updated to iOS 10.0.1.  Tried deleting the app and then reloading tonight. Also tried several iPad reboots. Did not fix!

First issue.  I can get the app to crash in two ways that I know of, each very repeatable.  Don't even need to select any tracks.  First, select Now playing view, select action or thumbnails, tap anywhere else on the screen to cause the menu to retract, re-select the same command (action or thumbnails): crash.

Second issue.  Select one track at a time, maybe four random tracks, then select Now playing view, you will only see a single track (system starts playing the song normally) until the first track completes playing.  If you force a crash (easy to do) or shut down JRemote and restart, all tracks appear as expected. Ironically, if I select the tracks using my iOS 9, iPhone 6S, then load JRemote on the iPad mini, the tracks appear correctly on the iPad.  This problem is secondary to the crashing but still......

Equipment:  operating with DLNA enabled, JRemote as Controller, PS Audio Direct Stream with Bridge II Media Renderer, iPad Mini 4 (iOS 10.0.1), MC 22.0.21, Win 10 server with all software updates, very fast tower computer with top of the line components.  All music tracks loaded on interior hard-drive (same machine as MC - Not a NAS). 

JRemote on iOS 9 iPhone working fine.

System, including JRemote has been rock solid (excluding JRemote after initial iOS 9 upgrade and now iOS 10).  Anything additional information I can provide?  Any troubleshooting ideas?  Anyone at JRiver reading this? 

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 07:23:54 am »

I'd switch to mconnect by conversdigital or Kinsky by Linn if...  Both apps work as advertised but nowhere near as well as JRemote.   Also, they lack two key features, the ability to add songs to MC playlists (my absolute favorite feature) and the ability to read assets.  The apps use of gestures is also the best.  Happy to abandon the app if I could find one as good.

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 05:52:16 am »

I installed iOS 10 on my iPad and iPhone yesterday. JRemote is working apart the crash when selecting the Action button (though not always), and the problem when selecting individual tracks noted above.

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 12:48:52 pm »

Having read the posts identifying certain compatibility issues with IOS 10, I think that a response regarding their resolution would be greatly appreciated.  In the interim, I've held off on installing IOS 10.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 05:36:29 am »

I too have the crash when using the Action button. In addition, while my iPhone 6 will let me save songs to a Playlist that function is no longer available on my iPad Air 2.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:26 am »

As mention above, I also can't add songs to an existing playlist on my iOS 10 iPad.  Swipe left on the track and "+Playlist" appears as a choice.  Selecting playlist does nothing but return to the track list.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 11:24:30 am »

What he said.  But it does work on my phone. Go figure.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 04:45:58 pm »

In less than a week I'm already tired of JRemote crashing every time I use the Action button. And having to dig my iPhone out of my pocket to save something to a playlist because my iPad no longer will isn't all that exciting either.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 06:49:48 pm »

It's an Apple problem.  If they don't fix it soon, we will take a look.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 11:17:09 am »

It's an Apple problem.  If they don't fix it soon, we will take a look.

Would it be possible for you to expand on your answer just a little? There is something different about IOS 10 on an iPad compared to an iPhone? It's something you might be able to fix but are waiting to see if Apple makes a change to IOS 10 first? I normally use JRiver Media Center and JRemote on my iPad to drive my Sonore microRendu but just for the heck of it I switched the microRendu over to use Logitech Media Server which I used to control with iPeng on my iPad. I was unable to find any problems with iPeng. Or any other app on my iPad so far although obviously I haven't tried them all. In any event, I hope either Apple or you can fix the new glitches in JRemote because the JRiver Media Center/JRemote combination has been working really well for my up until now. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 11:22:24 am »

If something is broken after the OS changes, when the program hasn't changed, then it is an OS problem.  It's common that this happens.  Usually these things get fixed by the OS developer, but not always.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »

10.0.2 does not fix JRemote on my iPad mini 4!

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 01:52:17 pm »

Nor did it fix mine. In addition to the other problems mentioned, when you're adding songs to a queue, the final window no longer closes after making your selection.

pmotz

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 06:48:17 pm »

I'm running JRemote with an iPad Air 2 and MC 20 and have had some iOS 10 issues.  I'm able to start music and control volume without issue, however, when I play a ripped CD (from iTunes) or a DSD/Hi-res PCM (from a separate hard drive) it plays the first track fine, but doesn't play any more tracks.  And yes, I have selected "Play All Now" which worked fine with iOS 9.  I also noticed that the track timer (at the bottom of the window) is not showing an accurate track length.   Say the track is 4:23 long, the timer will show time to play on the left end and time played at the right end that add up to something less, say 2:00.  When the moving mark (on the timer) gets to 2:00, the time played will keep getting larger until the track ends and the time played will remain at zero.  I can't say this was working fine previously since I didn't notice it before, but it is an issue.

With respect to Playlists, I have several internet radio stations in a Playlist and I am able to switch between them without issue.  Not sure if this is a different situation from the others with Playlist issues, but thought it would be a good data point.

I would like to add one comment on Admin's finger pointing at Apple.  I usually can tell when a software update is coming because many of the apps I have need updating.  Some updates are even mandatory.  JRemote has not been updated since October 2015 so I tend to think there could be an issue with JRemote, but I'm no expert ...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 07:36:56 pm »

Seems my media world is going all to pot!

Having successfully backed out of the Windows 10 anniversary update, and (hopefully) successfully hidden it, I am now avoiding updating our iPhones to IOS 10 as we kind of rely on JRemote, me more so than the Wife, as it provides all of my in-car driving music.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and hold off upgrading the iPhones until these issues are resolved.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 09:14:23 am »

If something is broken after the OS changes, when the program hasn't changed, then it is an OS problem.  It's common that this happens.  Usually these things get fixed by the OS developer, but not always.

I have to disagree with this. In my experience it is quite common for a new version of an OS to cause existing app bugs - which previously went unnoticed - to come to light. Some examples of these kinds of bugs are:

• Race conditions. In one environment (e.g. an older OS) the program squeaks by, working OK; in a new environment, the race condition becomes a real problem, causing a failure.
  • Uninitialized variables. A new memory layout causes a completely different set of behaviors due to an unpredictable state.
  • Careless passing of previously unused function arguments. Sometimes an API will specify something like "unused; pass zero for future compatibility". In an older OS it doesn't matter what you pass. In a newer OS the argument is actually used, and if the app isn't passing the right value, unexpected results occur.

Additionally, public API functions in an OS do get deprecated and retired from time to time. It's a fact of life, as inconvenient as it may be for app developers. But a function that worked fine in release 'N' might be marked deprecated in release 'N+1' of the OS, and be unsupported in release 'N+2'. This is not an "OS problem". It's a situation that folks who sell apps need to accommodate.

New releases of OSs - desktop, mobile, whatever - routinely result in a flurry of updates from app vendors, often just to fix bugs like the ones I describe above. It happens all the time. Claiming that new problems that surface when a new OS is released are always the fault of the OS is just not realistic. Thorough testing on the part of app vendors whenever a new OS is released should always be performed, followed by bug fixes and an app update as needed.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 05:46:54 pm »

Not to beat what is apparently a dead horse but I just checked and in the last 10 days, 31 apps on my iPad have been updated, most of which mention that it's to be compatible with IOS 10.

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 05:27:52 pm »

Just found this thread pinned to my original query about add to playlist not working.

It is very frustrating, lets hope it gets fixed soon!

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 07:54:34 am »

My problem (which I complained about in another thread) is this: I'm using the latest versions of MC (on a PC), iPad Air (and AppleTV).
The last couple of weeks, when using JRemote for rating tracks in a playlist, JRemote has started to close down. That is, it will successfully rate one track, then collapse on the next.
This is getting rather annoying.

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 10:14:41 am »

Yes I found the playlist functions a bit fragile on jremote on my ipad (IOS 10).
When trying to get add track to playlist to function the store and load playlist actions would sometimes cause the app to crash.

Hopefully JRiver will have a look if enough people are having issues.....

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 11:52:04 am »

I'm  hoping for news from JRiver as to when JRemote's incompatibilities with IOS 10 will be remedied so that I can upgrade to IOS 10 without losing key functionality in JRemote.  More than a week has passed since the last update on September 22 and in this case, no news is not good news.

Paperc

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 07:58:30 am »

Just checking to see if there is a planned update,  my issue is video streaming crashes after a few minutes of playing on IOS 10,  I have tried many different moves, audio streaming seems to work, I don't use playlists.  I have reverted back to IOS 9 and it works perfectly. 

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 09:32:33 am »

I've gone back to using iPeng/Logitech Media Server temporarily but would really like to continue using MC. It was my plan to upgrade my Master License for MC 21 to MC 22 to take advantage of the new features but there isn't any point without a working iPad app. Trying to use JRemote on the tiny screen of my iPhone is just too annoying to deal with so that's out. Hope this gets fixed at some point or that I can find a suitable replacement for MC.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 03:30:06 pm »

iOS 10 was released a month ago tomorrow.  JRemote on iOS 10 iPad still crashes!

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 07:12:24 pm »

I'll add my name to the list of disappointed JRemote on IPad users. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 07:30:42 pm »

Have you let Apple know?

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 06:38:38 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 06:41:50 am »

The problem.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 07:48:24 am »

The problem.

I have no expectation that Apple will modify IOS 10 to make it backwards compatible with JRemote, so no, I haven't.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 11:42:47 am »

Have you let Apple know?

Jim, you know we have talked about this elsewhere. Might I suggest that as a service to your customers that you at least provide a link to an Apple website, email or forum where people can post their JRemote / IOS 10 compatibility issues to Apple.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

stevem2

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 12:07:52 pm »

This issue needs to be addressed.  Letting Apple know about the problem is probably a good idea but it's unlikely to result in a solution, except maybe they'll pull the app from the App Store.  I had been pretty happy with JRemote but now I'm thinking about Roon and other alternatives.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 03:03:37 pm »

I’m sorry to be writing this, but I find this both disturbing and unacceptable. As a user, I feel these dismissive answers are taking me for a fool. This product is clearly orphaned, and yet no one at JRiver is willing to say so. No one is working on this software at the moment, and no one intends to. Blaming Apple is nothing but a convenient cover. Hendryk is the last person to have done any work on JRemote, and it was when iOS came out last year; he then worked out all compatibility issues. But this year, it’s suddenly Apple’s fault. I don’t think anyone buys it. If JRiver has truly orphaned this, and if they have something down the pipeline (or even if they don’t), then they should be frank about it to the users. I am not used to this level of equivocation from a small software company, and feel that the behaviour of all concerned is nothing short of shameful.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2016, 06:45:40 pm »

We've been pretty transparent on this.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 08:16:31 pm »

Have you let Apple know?
How exactly do we let apple know? Typically when there is a problem with an application you contact the vendor, they look at the application to determine what is causing the problem and if the problem is with the OS the application vendor works with the OS vendor to fix it.

FYI, when I choose the options to report an app problem to Apple as a consumer I get the following message: "Sign In for help with iTunes purchases made in the last 90 days". In other words, if I need a refund for an app I purchased in the last 90 days then Apple can help me with that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:44 pm »

How exactly do we let apple know?
No idea.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:33 am »

Just one question, then: is anyone currently working with JRemote at all? (Some further questions: if not, will there (soon) be another app replacing it, or are there any other ways to get access to MC from an iPad?

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 10:19:34 pm »

Just posting to follow this thread.

patairmax

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2016, 08:56:22 am »

I'm using JRemote on IPad for a while and upgraded to iOS10 few weeks ago. Surprised to not see any update of JRemote and living with several problems with the application, I decided to consult this forum.   

I'm completely shocked by the answers of JRiver team ! Not a decent answer from a commercial company to their customers. It is not like if JRiver products was free. I can understand that JRiver is upset by all issues raised each time Apple upgrades its OS, but it is its own responsibility to :
- at best, ensure backward compatibility of its paid products
- at least, provide a minimal customer care

If JRiver has no resources to update the JRemote application, it must notify further purchasers on AppleStore that the application does not work well on iOS10. It is mentioned compatible for IOS7 and more.

Besides that, I consider the responses from JimH a tad disrespectful for us. If you want us to help you to make pressure on Apple, move yourself and indicate us the way to do it. JRemote is your application and we paid for it !

With such behavior from JRiver team, I'm thinking seriously to give up all my JRiver products and use something else.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 05:14:49 pm »

This is currently being looked at.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 02:45:04 pm »

Currently have an update in testflight. Looks good so far...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 01:51:32 pm »

Currently have an update in testflight. Looks good so far...
Just released it for distribution.
This build contains the bug fixes for iOS10 and is iOS10 only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up