INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CLOSED: Rename, Move & Copy Files not working correctly for TV Series  (Read 9727 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Moving all my Seinfeld Episodes using RMC to another Drive brought along with it ALL *.edl, *.log, *.txt, *.srt files belonging to other shows.

It should have only brought along the ones with Seinfeld in the name or at the very least leave them alone.

I guess I should have left the Move All Files in Folder unchecked...But could there be a way to move only files containing a specific word? In this case Seinfeld?.
thx

blgentry

Re: Rename, Move & Copy Files not working correctly for TV Series
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:43:12 am »

If you have files, mixed with different series, all the in the same directory, then using "move all files" will not do what you want.  Move all files is designed to be used in situations like Albums where everything is in the same directory and all of the "extra files" belong to the album.  This is not true in your case.

BUT:  You also have extra files as you have listed and presumably you want them moved too.  So there really isn't a supported solution for you using MC.  I would recommend one of two solutions:

1.  Do not create these extra files until you have moved your series into their own directories.
OR
2.  Use an external tool to move the files you want to move.  This might be as simple as a copy or rename command using a wildcard.  Then, when everything is where it's supposed to be, use RMC in UPDATE mode to tell MC that you've moved the files to a different directory.

Brian.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: Rename, Move & Copy Files not working correctly for TV Series
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:53:27 am »

Yes that makes sense.  I actually was very happy when all files got moved when moving Albums and music...(I requested this back then :))
My next step would be to get the file proactively move after a recording by using the TV subscription but I'm not sure how to do this...If this happens those files will get created then.

Thx Brian

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: CLOSED: Rename, Move & Copy Files not working correctly for TV Series
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 03:59:38 pm »

I just tested this yesterday.  If you add a custom tag in your recording subscription to [Filename (Path)], then once the recording is done, it will move the file to the path you specify.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 08:02:48 pm »

Here is what I put in we'll see tonight if this works:

Under "Apply These Tags" in the Subscription Rule:
FIELD: Filename
Value: I:\TV Series\[Series]\Season[Season]\[Series] - S[Season]E[Episode] - [Name]

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 06:59:41 am »

Here is what I put in we'll see tonight if this works:

Under "Apply These Tags" in the Subscription Rule:
FIELD: Filename
Value: I:\TV Series\[Series]\Season[Season]\[Series] - S[Season]E[Episode] - [Name]

It didn't work.  I'll change Filename to Filename (path) as per muzicman0's suggestion.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:10:17 am »

When the subject of allowing multiple recording locations was brought up, I was tempted to suggest that you could use the method suggested by muzicman0, but did not.  The reason was that I was not sure it would work. 

I did a test last night, and then one this morning.  The result was mixed (though better than I expected).

Last night I left the computer unattended (in fact I locked the computer).  I specified [Filename(path)] (and [Filename(name)] separately) the path had a folder that did not exist.  I was recording "BBC World News".  So I specified "F:\Video\TV Recordings\BBC World News FormatDate([date recorded, 0], yyyyMMdd)\".  The last part I expected to come out to be "BBC World News 20161006", and it did not exist. 

As a result, this morning when I unlock my computer I saw a confirmation message box about creating an non-existing folder.  I clicked OK.  An error was encountered.  The result was that my jtv recording was in an unusable state.  MC started moving the files, and a bunch of temp files were created, but nothing was moved to specified folder (which remained non-existent). 

This morning, I did not specify the last part of the path, but just gave it an existing folder.  In the end, the move was completed without any fuss, except that MC asked whether I wanted to delete the empty folder.  The only problem I have is that, since I recorded in jtv format, all chunk files and helper files are moved into the existing folder without creating a separate folder for the recording itself.  So it is a bit messy.

I have not tried recording in TS format.  But I think it will work better since it does not need a separate folder per recording.

So to make it work, you should only specify a path that does exist.  Counting on MC to create a new folder is troublesome because you need to be present to confirm.  I would say, this feature works more or less.

I will make an improvement when I have time, so that we record directly into the specified folder, and create the folder if it does not exist, silently, at recording start time.  This should solve both the problems I observed.  Notice that I already added special coding to handle [Filename(name)] at the recording start time.  I did not handle [Filename(path)] because it requires more changes inside the TV engine, which currently does not allow externally specified recording location.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 11:34:26 am »

I only tested using .ts files.

I did actually specify a non existent path (D:\Recorded TV\Stupid Show), where D:\Recorded TV existed, but the sub directory didn't.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 11:36:10 am »

RMC doesn't prompt you when creating folder? Not sure why this would be any different..

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 06:02:37 pm »

The only problem I have is that, since I recorded in jtv format, all chunk files and helper files are moved into the existing folder without creating a separate folder for the recording itself.

So I take it this means that if two recordings were sent to the same pre-existing folder, both would be ruined, with files mixed up and unplayable.

I was hoping that changing the [filename (path)] tag would still result in the jtv file specific directory being moved rather than just the recording file set. Or at least a non-existent directory could be created, such as your date based directory.

Perhaps if we could specify a jtv based directory in recording rules, such as "E:\Recorded TV\[Series]", and then MC added the jtv specific directory below that, as it does now for the jtv specific directory below the default directory specified in MC Options?

But even then, it would be best if the directory was selected and created at the beginning of a recording, rather than based on a recording rule which is applied at the end of the recording. (I think tag changes are applied at the end of the recording?)

I look forward to any improvements in this area.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 07:11:00 pm »

So I take it this means that if two recordings were sent to the same pre-existing folder, both would be ruined, with files mixed up and unplayable.

No.  They will be playable.  They are just messy to look at.  The only case in which they might be ruined would be when two recordings happened to have a number of files that are named identically.  That is very unlikely.

I was hoping that changing the [filename (path)] tag would still result in the jtv file specific directory being moved rather than just the recording file set. Or at least a non-existent directory could be created, such as your date based directory.

Perhaps if we could specify a jtv based directory in recording rules, such as "E:\Recorded TV\[Series]", and then MC added the jtv specific directory below that, as it does now for the jtv specific directory below the default directory specified in MC Options?

But even then, it would be best if the directory was selected and created at the beginning of a recording, rather than based on a recording rule which is applied at the end of the recording. (I think tag changes are applied at the end of the recording?)

I was trying to say, when I finally get to it, the [Filename(path)] tag will result in using the path at the beginning of the recording.  I will need to special-case it, just like I already do with [Filename(name)].

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 07:48:04 pm »

No.  They will be playable.  They are just messy to look at.  The only case in which they might be ruined would be when two recordings happened to have a number of files that are named identically.  That is very unlikely.

Okay. That is all good then.

I would really like to get my series recordings to be saved in a directory structure such as "E:\Recorded TV\[Series]\", as at the moment the "E:\Recorded TV\" gets full of sub-directories, with one for each episode of a series (because I use the JTV format). That makes it a bit cumbersome to manage series and see what is there, and to do cleanup of Time Shift files, which is still required sometimes. (Usually when I Time Shift from a Client I think, or when two programs are saved into the same directory and one is watched in Time Shift mode, but I haven't tried to lock down the cause, since you are aware of the issue.)

Anyway, if the episodes of a series were stored in a structure like "E:\Recorded TV\[Series]\" it would be much easier to see what series have recordings, and do cleanup series by series.

BTW I record one ABC News program per day, which gets a subdirectory of "ABC News YYYY-MM-DD" for its JTV files created, and its files named with the same prefix. i.e. "ABC News 2016-10-06". If I recorded two ABC News programs each day, unless MC recognised that a recording of that name already existed and added a "(1)" or similar to it, then it would be possible to get files that are named identically. I'm not sure MC would add the "(1)" to the files and JTV subdirectory if I used the above method. Maybe I shall try a test later.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 07:50:39 pm »

Yes, I am quite sure (1) or (2) etc. are added to files when needed.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 07:54:05 pm »

Okay. Thanks Yaobing.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 05:09:06 pm »

Hey Yaobing, does the change below;

22.0.43 (11/22/2016)
3. Changed: MC television recording will properly handle post-recording tagging (setup in recording rules) of field [Filename(path)], in addition to [Filename(name)] that has already been supported.

Mean that the above method will now work for JTV recordings, when changing the [Filename(path)] tag? In other words, did you Special Case the [Filename(path)] tag when you did that change, as you mentioned here;
I was trying to say, when I finally get to it, the [Filename(path)] tag will result in using the path at the beginning of the recording.  I will need to special-case it, just like I already do with [Filename(name)].

I guess I should test it. It was messy last time though.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 05:52:22 pm »

I thought it worked, but then I discovered something that not right.  I will have to work on it more, in particular when there are consecutive recordings on the same channel, moving the first recording while the second still recording is still problematic.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 06:49:38 pm »

Okay. It should work for single recordings though?

So you aren't using the tag rule when the recording begins then? Because thinking about that, if you did then sharing the recorded component files between two consecutive recordings would be more difficult if not impossible when each rule specifies the recording should be stored in different places.

It would be good if you could make it work though.

I might still do some testing with individual programs, if I find time.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 09:12:23 am »

I just wanted to add to this thread - that this is really working well for my weekly scheduled TS format recordings.

I already have folders set up for each series I record, like: "H:/TV-Shows/Nova" and "H:/TV-shows/The Big Bang Theory", etc.

So I added to the recording configuration (apply these tags optional): "filename(path)" and then "H:/TV-Shows/Nova/"  (note, the closing "/" is needed).

The shows all record to the single TV-Recoding folder as specified in the MC configuration, then JRiver moves to them to correct the folders ("Nova", etc.).

This is working great. Thanks for figuring this out.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 10:33:52 am »

Okay. It should work for single recordings though?
Did so many tests that I became confused myself.  But I think it works for single recordings.

So you aren't using the tag rule when the recording begins then? Because thinking about that, if you did then sharing the recorded component files between two consecutive recordings would be more difficult if not impossible when each rule specifies the recording should be stored in different places.

Right.  I did not try handling it in the beginning of recordings.  That would only work for non-consecutive recordings, and thus probably is not worth doing.  When a recording finishes we try moving it.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 10:49:22 am »

I just wanted to add to this thread - that this is really working well for my weekly scheduled TS format recordings.

I already have folders set up for each series I record, like: "H:/TV-Shows/Nova" and "H:/TV-shows/The Big Bang Theory", etc.

So I added to the recording configuration (apply these tags optional): "filename(path)" and then "H:/TV-Shows/Nova/"  (note, the closing "/" is needed).

The shows all record to the single TV-Recoding folder as specified in the MC configuration, then JRiver moves to them to correct the folders ("Nova", etc.).

This is working great. Thanks for figuring this out.

Same here so please don't change it for ts files! :)
I'm using Filename (path) as Field in the Television subscription rule with the Value: I:\TV Series\[Series]\Season0[Season]\
Works like a charm.

Why not use the standard ts format instead of the proprietary .jtv format? Metadata I guess?
Reminds me of iTunes when new proprietary formats are introduced :)...

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 11:11:55 am »

The only place I could find info on .jtv was in the setup menu as per attached (good thing I remembered seeing it there).  Nothing on the wiki page.

I guess it's about time shifting but why not use .ts from the get-go?   Just thought I'd ask... But as per my first point,  "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!!"

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »

Why not use the standard ts format instead of the proprietary .jtv format? Metadata I guess?

I've written many times why I prefer and use the JTV format.

It has a massive advantage over the TS format, for my use case. An advantage that has very high WAF.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 09:31:24 am »

Okay - so my post above was wrong.  My setup is not working correctly. Lot's of weird stuff happened.

I am now testing a few other "file(path)" setups.
I had my TV Recording folder set up as "H:/TEMP-RECORDINGS/". All my recordings went here then I would manually move them into the matching folders at "H:TV-Shows/".

I thought the new setup where each subscription that had the optional tag "H:/TV-Shows/folder name of series/" would work - but it doesn't work. I would check on recordings and find a message "do you want to create folder "some folder name". If  said yes, the new folder would be a subdirectory of "H:/TV-Shows" but not what I needed. And, btw, I can't delete these new folders because "I don't own them" (apparently MC does), so I need to look into this a little more.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 09:37:05 am »

Okay - so my post above was wrong.  My setup is not working correctly. Lot's of weird stuff happened.

I am now testing a few other "file(path)" setups.
I had my TV Recording folder set up as "H:/TEMP-RECORDINGS/". All my recordings went here then I would manually move them into the matching folders at "H:TV-Shows/".

I thought the new setup where each subscription that had the optional tag "H:/TV-Shows/folder name of series/" would work - but it doesn't work. I would check on recordings and find a message "do you want to create folder "some folder name". If  said yes, the new folder would be a subdirectory of "H:/TV-Shows" but not what I needed. And, btw, I can't delete these new folders because "I don't own them" (apparently MC does), so I need to look into this a little more.

Now I have now changed the default recording folder to "H:/TV-Shows/"  and my subscription rules just add "/folder name of series/". I think this will work....

I'm not sure if I need the leading "/" and/or the trailing "/", so I setup rules differently on a couple of subscriptions to see what happens. I report back what works.

How about this as per my post above?: I:\TV Series\[Series]\Season0[Season]\  This works for me.  I put an extra 0 to have the folder created as Season 01 and not Season 1 (But then I'll be having Season 011 eventually...)

Shouldn't be using a backslash instead of a slash?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 11:00:57 am »

Shouldn't be using a backslash instead of a slash?

Opps - yeah, should'a been a backslash.

Just to clarify:
In my case I create the subfolders for my TV series under "H:\TV-Shows\", then I expect (want) MC to move all the recordings for the Series to the correct folder. I don't separate the Series folders into subfolders for Season. Where imeric is showing "[Series]", I would have the actual name of the series in my path. I'm not sure if imeric is just using "[Series]" as a placeholder for the actual name or if that is actually part of his code.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 11:45:32 am »

I:\TV Series\[Series]\Season0[Season]\ 

If [Series] happens to be empty, this might be problematic as we can not create a folder with empty name.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 12:59:16 pm »

Everything is hands free for me with Season and Series folders getting created automatically.  Well I just have the one series right now but it is working really well.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2016, 01:52:05 pm »

You need to specify the full path for the [Filename(path)] field.  So, typing out "H:\TV-Shows\NOVA\" should work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up