INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 Front End with MC21 Library?  (Read 4594 times)

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
MC22 Front End with MC21 Library?
« on: November 06, 2016, 03:58:52 am »

Hi all,
At the moment I have a HTPC in the living room running MC22 and a client in each bedroom that connects to the library in the living room, just so it is all synchronised in terms of what has been watched etc...

The Living room HTPC is on it's last legs now and I am looking to move to a QNAP (currently have an external tower connected to my HTPC with 8 x 2TB HD's in it) and expand.
I was thinking of getting a QNAP TVS-663 and running MC21 on there as the primary library and then putting a small box (Voyo V3 or similar) in the living room running MC22 and connecting to the MC21 Library running on the QNAP (as well as the clients in the other 2 bedrooms).

Will this work ok? Are there any issues of MC22 Clients connecting to a MC21 Library?

Thanks in advance!

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: MC22 Front End with MC21 Library?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 04:17:54 am »

Hello and welcome to Interact

From what I've been reading here on Interact that can be achieved in the order you have mentioned but not with MC21 to MC22. I have a Qnap but at this time only use it as a backup and not as a player. You could also just point your clients to the files on the Qnap but then they would no longer be "clients" which would maybe not work the way you want if you like to keep track of times played and or viewed.....good luck

? is why do you think you need the Voyo. If your tv is a smart tv theres no need for it as a app for the Qnap can be added and from there you can reach MC 21 (MC 21 is included with Qnap at no additional cost: well you would need a master license for MC21 unless you run a virtual version of windows on the Qnap) btw that is a sweet nas (do you truly need that MONSTER?)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 04:38:03 am »

Are there any issues of MC22 Clients connecting to a MC21 Library?
If you have a MC22 lic then you should be fine to run MC22 on all PCs. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 04:46:37 am »

MC21 and MC22 libraries are not compatible, you would need to run MC22 everywhere.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

~OHM~

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 04:53:46 am »

Well then I stand corrected. I was sure I read that it was achieved by connecting MC22 to MC21 just not the other way.

tunes0710 just be sure you have a Master License for MC22 then
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 05:27:50 am »

We can't recommend QNAP at this time.  They removed JRiver from the QNAP drives recently and I'm not sure when it will return.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 05:33:10 am »

? is why do you think you need the Voyo. If your tv is a smart tv theres no need for it as a app for the Qnap can be added and from there you can reach MC 21 (MC 21 is included with Qnap at no additional cost: well you would need a master license for MC21 unless you run a virtual version of windows on the Qnap) btw that is a sweet nas (do you truly need that MONSTER?)

I don't have Smart TVs. I don't see the need, as each box either has an Xbox or Amazon Fire connected, so I can do everything that is needed :-)
The Voyo was just going to be a client with the QNAP as the main Library.

The QNAP is intended to serve all devices in the household, so in livingroom/bedrooms there will be a MC2x installation pulling from the server, plus LMS/SSOTS on the QNAP as I am putting RPi's in each room to synchronise multi-room audio, or have individual streams in each room, and I just want to make sure I have enough processing power plus carry out normal NAS duties. This way I can also stream to tablets/phones for when the kids visit.

MC21 and MC22 libraries are not compatible, you would need to run MC22 everywhere.

So I guess I would need to downgrade all machines to MC21 until MC22 is released on the QNAP?

If I copy all of the data on to the QNAP, Is there any way of keeping a log of all current watched films/tv series etc? Is that stored within MC itself, or the .xml files in each folder?
Otherwise that would mean me going through each TV series to keep a note of where I have watched up to... achievable, but a bit of a PITA if it can be avoided...

Thanks for all the help so far!

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 05:34:09 am »

We can't recommend QNAP at this time.  They removed JRiver from the QNAP drives recently and I'm not sure when it will return.

Have they said why? or is it something internal that cannot be discussed/disclosed publically?

~OHM~

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 05:43:06 am »

wow ok then

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 05:57:25 am »

I'm assuming, temporarily anyway.. I could use the MC22 Docker Image on QNAP that is spoken about here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 06:09:37 am »

Probably.

We will have more to say when we know more.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 06:46:45 am »

I hate to be "that guy", but here I am.  <waves>

MC on a NAS is a bad idea.  Particularly for someone like you who wants a powerful server that can serve up many, many clients at the same time.  You're talking about potentially 4, 5, or more clients at the same time.

NAS devices are not designed to be general purpose computers.  Their processing power is limited.  Their user interface options are limited. 

I do not think a NAS running the MC version built for it, is going to satisfy you.

Brian.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 07:54:38 am »

I hate to be "that guy", but here I am.  <waves>

MC on a NAS is a bad idea.  Particularly for someone like you who wants a powerful server that can serve up many, many clients at the same time.  You're talking about potentially 4, 5, or more clients at the same time.

NAS devices are not designed to be general purpose computers.  Their processing power is limited.  Their user interface options are limited. 

I do not think a NAS running the MC version built for it, is going to satisfy you.

Brian.

Never a bad thing being "that guy" :-D

So you'd suggest just using qnap as storage only (maybe no need for TVS model then) and building a new media centre to handle all the transcoding and media distribution for the network?

I saw the new TVS-671 (instead of 663) has an i7 CPU), which would probably be similar to the HTPC I'd build anyway.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 04:23:01 pm »

It looks like the TVS-671 only comes in an i3 version. The TVS-871 comes in an i7 version.

I suspect that you would be breaking new ground with those new NASs, and would recommend you research on the QNAP site and other user forums. With an i7 CPU, sufficient memory, the disk performance, and MC22 running in a Windows virtual session, it could be that the TVS-871 would more than adequate. Earlier NASs certainly haven't been up to it, but these new ones look powerful enough.

But again, research what other media solutions are being run on them, and how well the virtualisation works, because there may be some significant stumbling blocks, and you would probably be trail blazing, so help might be limited. There are people running MC on VMs though, but I don't know about NAS VMs.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 09:10:16 am »

So you'd suggest just using qnap as storage only (maybe no need for TVS model then) and building a new media centre to handle all the transcoding and media distribution for the network?

I saw the new TVS-671 (instead of 663) has an i7 CPU), which would probably be similar to the HTPC I'd build anyway.

Yes, I'd suggest just using the NAS as a NAS.  While you may find a high end NAS that has enough CPU and memory to do the tasks you want, the interface is never going to be the same as the Windows version.  There are also lots and lots of subtle configuration issues which seem to trip up a lot of people.  How to talk to a DAC, DLNA configuration, etc.

I would guess you'd be a lot happier with a regular PC as your MC server.  All just MY opinion of course.

Brian.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 01:16:54 am »

Just a quick bump to close off the thread.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. I ended up getting hold of a server that I am running headless (with VMWare) and created a client to act as my central media centre server. It is pulling the films/etc from the QNAP (TS-653A) and everything is working as expected, aside from one niggle that I have just opened a separate thread about.

Cheers,
Dave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up