INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File association titles  (Read 2516 times)

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
File association titles
« on: December 03, 2003, 02:39:48 pm »

I have been very annoyed with this for quite some time. Whatever media for which you make MC your default player always uses the same icon and same title: "Media Center File."

Most users choose to hide file extensions. Doing so makes an MP3, AAC, MPG, AVI, MOV, OGG, APE, and whatever other media file all look exactly the same. They all just say "Media Center File."

I would like to see MediaCenter make this associations and use different titles and maybe different icons for each media type. MP3s would be labeled as "MP3 audio file" and MPGs would be labeled "MPEG video file" or something like that.

And BTW, if you stick with "Media Center File," is should be "MediaCenter" without the space. :)

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:File association titles
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 03:35:07 pm »

I would like to see MediaCenter make this associations and use different titles and maybe different icons for each media type. MP3s would be labeled as "MP3 audio file" and MPGs would be labeled "MPEG video file" or something like that.

I'll second that.  Currently it is very difficult to sort by file type in Windows Explorer - as explorer treats them all as the same file type.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 03:45:12 pm »

I'll add my strong third to this.  If I remember right it also does the same to photo/video files.

It is very annoying to others who don't use media center but do use the same pc and want to look at the same photos etc.

This will only grow as an annoyance as more of my digital life is integrated int o MC.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 04:04:55 pm »

> It is very annoying to others who don't use media center...

I'm not sure why anyone would have MC associated with images (on a system level), since in the case stated above, IrfanView is much more effective. To have MC as the default image viewer is overkill, and IV loads and displays the image in 1/4 to 1/2 the time it takes MC.

I'd vote a moderate yes on this as well, but MC's current handling of this does comply with Windows standards.

10-27

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 01:25:20 am »

Most users choose to hide file extensions.

Do they?

Rob

nila

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 02:46:36 am »

Rob - it's on as default in XP so technically for users running XP - yeah.

This was asked for ages ago so that each file type said what type IT was and there was seperate icons AT LEAST for images/audio/video.

JRiver - how about just doing it so the installer does something like this as a quick solution:

MediaCenter [filetype] File

so it'd be producing names like:
MediaCenter jpg File
MediaCenter mp3 File

As a fix myself I've personally just disassociated all file types from MC and if I really want them to open in MC then I use the MyComputer within MC to browse and open the files.
As default in explorer though I get different icons and descriptions for each file by disassociating them. Works for me until something is changed :)

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 07:03:56 am »

JRiver - how about just doing it so the installer does something like this as a quick solution:

MediaCenter [filetype] File

so it'd be producing names like:
MediaCenter jpg File
MediaCenter mp3 File

Or maybe MediaCenter [Media Type] File

MediaCenter Audio File
MediaCenter Video File
MediaCenter Image File

..and different icon for all media types (maybe same icons MC uses in Media Library)..?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 10:39:29 am »

Gets my vote too.  I like both the solutions suggested but would prefer Nilas as it would allow different icons to be shown for different filetypes eg MP3 having icons showing bitrate (provided by a third party tool, don't remember which one).  Anyway any option would be nice...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 10:43:39 am »

Vote for JaWe - MC is showing "Audio, Image, Video" so it's logical to duplicate this behaviour to the file-types displayed by windows.

Besides. I don't know any user who does _not_ uncheck that "don't show fileextension"-thing (".txt.scr").

Mirko

modelmaker

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 11:48:30 am »

I also concur. I have done the same as Nila and disassociated MC from the files.

I also agree with xen-uno on IrfanView. It's a quick and easy way edit and view images. And its always on.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up