INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to organize Bonus Features from movie discs?  (Read 3489 times)

Vectra

• Recent member
How to organize Bonus Features from movie discs?
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:47:13 pm »

I rip a movie and have several bonus features.  My current JRiver shows a movie icon for each file (the movie plus the four bonus features).  Is there a better way to organize?   

I can untag the bonus features as being "movie" sub media type and they will drop from the Movie view (I can see them in File view). 

With MB3 I created a sub-directory named "SPECIALS" and now for each movie there is a hot link to the bonus feature files.  This is great because I see only the movies but have links to the trailer, reviews and bonus features should I wan to view them.  Is there something similar for JRiver?

Any best practices?

Vectra

• Recent member
Re: How to organize Bonus Features from movie discs?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:16:44 pm »

One Option for when using workstation view (don't know how to make this work in Theater View--how do you show media sub-type = SHORT?)

Make the main movie Media Sub-Type = Movie
Make the Specials Media Sub-Type = Short
Tag each file with Album tag = Main movie name.  Then create a view by SHORT/ALBUM NAME/NAME so you sort by Movie name first.

How do you organize trailers?  I have mine named movie-trailer

I'm looking for other ideas... This is one feature I like better in MB3 Theater but maybe I just need to customize my JRiver.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:42:07 pm »

Theater View is a Categories view type, in that you drill down into a given category to see grouped items.

Do you want all of your movies and bonus material under a single grouping, and beneath that, all of the files?

Or perhaps the movie title alongside a Bonus grouping (where you could drill down further)?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:24 pm »

Or perhaps the movie title alongside a Bonus grouping (where you could drill down further)?

That's how I'd do it, probably.  A version of this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78198.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 08:20:47 am »

For myself, I created a field called "Movie Grouping". All of my movies have their "Name" copied to that field (I used the "Move / Copy Field" command), so that none will show as "unsorted" at the end of this procedure. Then, I took all the movies that I want grouped and manually edited their "Movie Grouping" Field so that's it's the same for the group of movie and extras I want to display as a group - generally, the name of the movie itself. I repeat this for all movies which I want grouped with extras.

After that, you can create a new view, call it something like Movies and Extras, make sure it is viewed as "Categories" and that the categories are sorted as "Movie Grouping" on top and "Name" underneath. The movies grouped under a single movie group will display the superimposed spiralled covers. Clicking on that will bring the choices under that grouping.

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:34:23 am »

For me, the only acceptable way would be a link to the trailer as part of the description or similar. Unfortunately this feature doesn't exist.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:48 am »

If you are using Theater View for navigation, you should be able to solve this quite neatly.
Standard View is somewhat less neat, as it does not hide redundant categories.

The best solution I can think of would be to essentially tag them as if they were television shows.
Use the [Series] tag to group items together under a single heading, and the [Season] tag to create levels below that view.

There is a special grouping you can use in Media Center, TVInfo(SeriesDisplay) which will list items in a view by their name unless they have a series specified for them, in which case they are grouped together by that.

I already use this in my library to group films by series, so:
    The Bourne Identity
    The Bourne Supremacy
    The Bourne Ultimatum
are all tagged with "Bourne" as the series, which means they are grouped together and listed under than heading in my library, rather than being shown as three separate items on the main list.

You could create a category view below that, which uses FirstNotEmpty([Season],[Name])
If I wanted to keep bonus footage from these films, they would be tagged with:
    Series: Bourne
    Season: Bonus Content

When I select "Bourne" on my main list of films, I will then be presented with:
    The Bourne Identity
    The Bourne Supremacy
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Bonus Content
With all files tagged as "Bonus Content" in their own separate group, a level below the films.

Now you could get even more in-depth than that, but simply using the built-in [Series] and [Season] tags seems like the easiest solution to me.

You would also be able to use "Trailers" as a [Season] tag, which would then let you very easily create a view that only displays film trailers, while keeping them associated with the film itself.

apostos

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:31 am »

For me, the only acceptable way would be a link to the trailer as part of the description or similar. Unfortunately this feature doesn't exist.

+1

Vectra

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:01 am »

One Option for when using workstation view (don't know how to make this work in Theater View--how do you show media sub-type = SHORT?)

Make the main movie Media Sub-Type = Movie
Make the Specials Media Sub-Type = Short
Tag each file with Album tag = Main movie name.  Then create a view by SHORT/ALBUM NAME/NAME so you sort by Movie name first.

How do you organize trailers?  I have mine named movie-trailer

I'm looking for other ideas... This is one feature I like better in MB3 Theater but maybe I just need to customize my JRiver.

My current desires are to click on the movie poster in Theater View as normal and then see a link at the top (where there is "watch", "tag", etc.) for "bonus features" and "trailers".   Clicking on "bonus features" would then show screen shot icons for each feature file.   This is the capability that I really like in another program (MB3)...and setup just requires putting the bonus files in a sub-folder titled "Specials".   They also have a "collections" capability for box sets like Star Trek movies.

Today in JRiver I have 6 or so of the same movie poster in my movie list (one per file).  I can drop this to just the movie file by tagging the bonus files as "shorts" or anything other than "movie".

I am open to other ideas so I'll review again the responses shared...thx.     Each movie seems to have 3-8 files of bonus features.  

I like JRiver....just need to figure out how best to set it up for video.

Vectra

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:48 am »

My current desires are to click on the movie poster in Theater View as normal and then see a link at the top (where there is "watch", "tag", etc.) for "bonus features" and "trailers".   Clicking on "bonus features" would then show screen shot icons for each feature file.   This is the capability that I really like in another program (MB3)...and setup just requires putting the bonus files in a sub-folder titled "Specials".   They also have a "collections" capability for box sets like Star Trek movies.

Today in JRiver I have 6 or so of the same movie poster in my movie list (one per file).  I can drop this to just the movie file by tagging the bonus files as "shorts" or anything other than "movie".

I am open to other ideas so I'll review again the responses shared...thx.     Each movie seems to have 3-8 files of bonus features.  

I like JRiver (been a user for years)....just need to figure out how best to set it up for video.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:54 am »

Here is an example of what navigation will be like with the tagging and view I described, using dummy information:
Pages: [1]   Go Up