INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: High Bitrate Conversion on sync (Ipod, SD/USB Card or Ext. HD)  (Read 1946 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Pleazzze Add an option for the user to select what is a high bitrate for conversion.  Here is how I would approach it, hopefully this is easy to code...

Under Handheld->Options->Conversion -> Audio I would add a box where the user can enter a minimum bitrate threshold (for example 320 kbps), nothing entered would mean no conversion and anything above 320 would get converted.

I posted this a while back (Conversion of High Bit rate files), and also found a very old post: define "high bitrates" ? with the same request.

This approach is simple and would be good for any type of converter used (Internal or External).  In my case, converting ALAC to AAC with QAAC only ALAC HD Files get converted and not the Redbook ones...THis would also be good with the LAME encoder... I do like that choosing the Extreme preset will leave the mp3 320 kbps untouched but let"s say I want to convert with a lower Lame setting and still want the > 320 Kbps mp3 files untouched my approach would also work.

Actually I just installed Winamp and tehy are doing it exactly how I think it should be implemented. Have a look :)

This would be SO helpful to me.  I'm sure I'm not the only one desperately wanting this :)

Thx!!!

imeric

• MC Beta Team

One more thing...When using an external encoder (QAAC in my case) JRiver will stop the sync prematurely as it does not know about the reduced file size. Can we have an option to bypass it if we want to autofill a device from a bigger playlist? Not an issue using the included lame encoder. JRiver is smart enough to figure this out...

The only workaround is to hit sync about 30 times for the SD card to eventually fill... A bit tedious.

The other workaround I have to do is to set the extension to mp4 (which will play in the car but not aac) so that mp3's won't be transcoded and ALAC files will be transcoded. If I leave it to m4a the ALAC files don't get transcoded even if choose the "including high bitrate" option
Thx

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Will any of this be possible?
thx for the hard work folks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up