INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Setup -- Volunteers Needed!  (Read 5116 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
TV Setup -- Volunteers Needed!
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:52:55 pm »

TV setup has always been one of the most difficult tasks in MC.  There are a lot of tuners and combinations of tuners and the broadcast standards are different in different countries, EPG, etc.

I'd like to ask your help in starting and maintaining threads on each region.  This method has proven to be very successful on the Linux board, where users have set up threads dedicated to different distros.  It makes it a lot easier for a determined person to find their way and to ask questions in the right place.

I nominate Countrybumkin for the U.S. and RoderickGI for Australia.  Or whoever is willing.

We need one for the UK at least.  Do we need one for each country in Europe?

Maybe Yaobing can start a TV Setup thread that gives the basics and points people to the wiki and to these new threads.

Any help or advice would be welcome.  Thanks.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Re: TV Setup -- Volunteers Needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »

I'm happy to help out for the UK at least!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:40:35 am »

I'm happy to help out for the UK at least!
Thanks!  Just start a thread with a subject like "UK TV Setup Guide" and post whatever makes sense.  Links to other topics too.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:42:10 am »

Hi Jim,

Count me in for Canada

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:53:11 am »

Happy to help.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:52:02 am »

Hi Jim this is a great idea but maybe a word of advice...

Eventhough challenges might be somewhat different from country to country keeping one big thread for all countries might be preferable since issues will most likely be similar in every region.  Also makes it easier to find answers if it's one big thread...

Just a thought.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:54:05 am »

I think it would be nice to have a big thread for the general setup, but separate threads for regions or countries, since they can be so different.  EPG, for example, or cable companies.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 02:21:55 pm »

I'm, of course, volunteered.  I don't know much about using MC with this so far, but I'm committed now (though I sometimes feel like this means "committed" in the "to a mental institution" way).

I don't have a clear idea of what you mean by all of these threads.  I'd like to try to get things well documented in the Wiki and work with Yaobing on improving things were possible.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 03:02:28 pm »

Welcome to the institution.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:42 pm »

sorry , I'd volunteer for France, but I never watch broadcast TV .. don't even have a tuner in my HTPC. Maybe I can put up a post in French on the french forum if you guys want?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 08:37:40 pm »

I am happy to keep helping and think a thread for each EPG region makes a lot of sense. Australia is definitely one region all by itself. Well, maybe New Zealand is part of that, but even they have different issues to Australia.

But while a thread is great for answering questions as they arise, I think a Wiki article for each region makes a lot more sense, if it is then maintained. As someone who shall not be named (but his name starts with "G" and ends in "r", six letters) signed me up as a Wiki editor, I may be able to do something there. Then reference it in an Australia thread.

Wiki's are better as someone else can take over in the future as necessary, or correct errors.

My time availability is spotty though, and may change a lot in the not so distant future. So we will just have to see how we go.

Also, Astromo said he would investigate one of the Australian EPG options that runs on Linux, which I don't want to use, so I think it will all be a collaborative effort.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 10:01:22 pm »

As someone who shall not be named (but his name starts with "G" and ends in "r", six letters) signed me up as a Wiki editor

Avada Kedavra.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up