INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EPG setup in MC21  (Read 14293 times)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
EPG setup in MC21
« on: September 21, 2015, 02:05:35 pm »

The EPG wiki is in need of updating again, shortly after it was finished.  While the wiki is still useful in getting general info about EPG setup, it would be good to have a more updated outline of options available for MC21.  This thread is intended to give users some quick start instructions.

EPG is setup when you initially setup television tuners and is run periodically to update your EPG data.

When you run Television Setup wizard, you will reach a page where you need to choose an EPG option.  Your choices are:

1. mc2xml.

This is now the default option in MC21.  We have integrated mc2xml inside MC21 so it will allow users get EPG data as smoothly as possible.  This option is available for users in the USA as well as many other countries.  CountryBumkin created an excellent thread on USA TV Setup.  He described in this thread, among other things, how to setup mc2xml.   While his thread is titled "USA TV Setup", a lot of it is applicable for users in many other countries. 

2. Over the air signal

This option is currently (MC22 or higher) available for ATSC and DVB users.  It uses your ATSC or DVB tuner to pull EPG data from on-air signals.  Please do not confuse the concept of OTA EPG with OTA TV signal itself (of which ATSC is an example).  Just because you only watch over-the-air ATSC TV channels does not mean you have to use the OTA EPG method.  You can use mc2xml or XMLTV method for EPG even if you watch OTA TV channels only.

The OTA EPG loading method for ATSC is not very reliable (but has become much better since MC22).  The EPG data contained in the TV signals are not always complete, and you will get spotty results, especially if the TV signal strength/quality is not high.  It is therefore recommended that you use other methods of EPG loading unless you have specific reasons to use OTA EPG.  By using OTA scan, usually you can get EPG data for the next 12 hours for ATSC, but up to a week for DVB.

3. XMLTV.

This option is a generic option for getting EPG data using a third-party application and importing the data into MC.  Examples of such third-party applications are zap2xml, EPGCollector, etc.

This option is useful for the following situations:

There are two ways to run a third-party EPG application.

• Inside MC.

To use this option, check the "Run an executable to retrieve XMLTV data" checkbox, and fill in the next three boxes.  MC will execute the third-party application at a scheduled time, and wait for it to complete and then load the data from the result file.

• Outside of MC.

To use this option, uncheck the above checkbox, and fill in only the last box ("Load XMLTV results from this file:").  You will need to setup your third-party application to be run periodically to download EPG data into an xmltv file.  For example you can run it using Windows Scheduler.  MC will simply import the data in the result file.

Again, CountryBumkin provided some detailed discussion on using XMLTV option.

4. PercData.

MC can download EPG from PercData.com if you have an account with them.  You can open an account at PercData, and pay for it, and then enter your user name and password in MC.

5. No Electronic Program Guide.

This option is provided so that you can skip EPG setup.  While skipping EPG setup is generally not recommended, there are situations in which this makes sense.  This is particularly true if you are setting up "Capture-only" channels.  For example you can setup a video capture device to capture video from your camcorder.  In this case EPG simply is irrelevant.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kieran

• Recent member
Re: EPG setup in MC21
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »

... and now
5) PercData
right?

In my recent foray into MC on Win10 with HDHomeRun-Prime, I tried both PercData (first) and mc2xml (second) options.  I reset/cleared all EPG settings between trying PercData and mc2xml. Both were fairly easy to set up (nearly identical, really).  I only tried a couple recordings each, and saw no difference between the two systems.  I did not look at meta data yet.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:53:12 pm »

Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, PercData is a latest addition.  PercData data is sourced from Gracenote.  It is comparable in quality with MC2XML data.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 03:10:06 pm »

Given the mc2xml option is free (or "included" with MC) I don't see any reason to use percdata, unless it has much better quality data and/or tagging/metadata, etc.  When I *first* was going through the TV setup, it wasn't clear to me that the mc2xml option was all built-in and automated.  Having had frustrating experiences with mc2xml on other diy-DVR platforms in the past, I avoided it, and instead chose the percdata option, since they have a 7-day free trial.

But KUDOS to you, for integrating the mc2xml method into MC21 in a way that is nearly fully automatic.  It was quick and easy to get up and running, and the result is (with limited testing) no different from the percdata result.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:43:46 pm »

Trying out zap2xml. Default options work, but there's no show description at all. Only title of the show.

I tried the -D -e -r 5 -s 1 option and it just runs FOREVER, never finishes.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:34:28 pm »

Trying out zap2xml. Default options work, but there's no show description at all. Only title of the show.

I tried the -D -e -r 5 -s 1 option and it just runs FOREVER, never finishes.

Might want to edit the "recommended" option to be -D -e -r 5 -S 1 (note the capital S).

Now runs and finishes in about 22 minutes. Problem is that it still does not show all the episode details. All it shows is the "one line" description, not the full paragraph description for each tv show. I don't know if this is a zap2xml issue or the way MC imports it in.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:18:37 am »

Zap2xml is an external program.  We have no control over it.  The EPG data quality is dependent on its source, zap2it.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Aljones43

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:32:25 pm »

Does MC21 support schedules direct?  I have searched and I am confused.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:43:47 pm »

Schedules Direct is a third-party data source.  We do not directly support it in the sense that we do not integrate it in MC.  It's user licensing does not allow a user to use it with a commercial application.  We integrated support for SD's sister product, PercData.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 09:49:33 am »

brad-sylvester,

I split your posts and all answers into a new topic:

brad-sylvester: EPG setup trouble

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:38:40 am »

I updated the EPG wiki to reflect changes made since MC21.
Pages: [1]   Go Up