INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get JRiver to see Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 network receiver [Solved]  (Read 7220 times)

experimike

• Recent member

Alright, I need some help.

I cannot get JRiver to see my Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 network receiver,

Everything I read indicates that it should show up under the Now Playing selection. But it doesn’t. When I set Server as the input for the receiver I get the message: no music.

Here’s what has transpired (in a nutshell):

1. downloaded MC 20 several months ago.
2. Sep 28  - decided to buy; wound up with both MC 20 and 21 (21.0.6) on my PC. Used control panel to uninstall MC 20.  
3. Imported music files. Works playing through PC. But could not get on receiver.
4. Checked the following:

Tools/Options/Media Network

Checked box for Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA
Got access key

Checked box for authentication
Added Generic DNLA player, Legacy UPnP, Samsung BD/TV, Audiophile 24 bit DAC

(Note: tried each separately and as a group)

Still no Yamaha showing up.

Uninstalled and reinstalled MC 21.0.6.  No luck.

Some other context:
Running Windows 10 (updated between trail version of MC 20 and purchase of MC 21) on PC in upstairs office

Home network

ATT Uverse Modem/router (wireless disabled)  connected to legacy  Belkin router (both Office PC and Yamaha receiver Ethernet to this router).
Music, photo, and video stores to NAS (Synology diskstation 215+)

Downstairs TV room
Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 receiver, tried both Ethernet wired and wireless connection, no help
Firmware is up to date

Using Yamaha AV controller v 4. 31 on Samsung Note 3 as a remote
Also using the handheld remote

Samsung Plasma display (Does see media files on my NAS)

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: I cannot get JRiver to see my Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 network receiver
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:42:18 pm »

check and see if the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 shows up here>options>audio>audio devices> choose it and see if that helps

it may need to be turned on

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:35:13 pm »

Samsung Plasma display (Does see media files on my NAS)

But does the Yamaha Samsung see JRiver available as a Media Server, or just the NAS running its own DLNA server?

If neither the Samsung or the Yamaha can see JRiver available as a DLNA Media Server, then something hasn't been set up correctly in JRiver MC. It isn't a problem with the Yamaha.

Is the NAS also on the same router as the PC and the Yamaha? Do they all have IP addresses from that router? Same subnet?
Have you restarted the PC after turning on Media Server in MC?
Do you run JRiver Media Server on Windows startup?
Have you tried with authentication turned off in MC, and is there a place to enter the PC's User Name and Password into the Yamaha? (I can't find anything in the manual. I think it is needed on the renderer for an authentication to connect. I can't remember exactly. Try without authentication anyway.)

TAO1857, I have a Samsung TV that is a DLNA Controller and Renderer, and it has never appeared as an Audio Device. It is always just under the Playing Now heading in the left navigation bar, as per the image below. DLNA devices are automatically created dynamic zones. Unless you meant to select the Yamaha zone at the top of the Options/Audio dialogue, rather than in the Audio Devices section?

It is not clear what audio formats the Yamaha's DLNA renderer is capable of really. The list on page 145 of the manual is a little confusing and/or limited.
Check out this: http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra and DLNA posts by the author, AndrewFG, to get a better idea of what the Yamaha can do.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:06:53 am »

Is the Yamaha in standby? It must be fully on.

Also you may need to set the Yamaha's input selector to Network.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

experimike

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 02:06:32 pm »

In answer to the above queries

The Yamaha is turned fully on, not just standby

The Yamaha input is set to server

The Yamaha does not show up in Tools/Options/Audio/Audio Device. I tried Default Audio Device [Direct Sound] as well as other settings.

experimike

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 02:29:16 pm »

The PC I am running JRiver on, the Yamaha, Synology NAS, and Samsung TV are all on the same router and there IPs show up there. I will doublecheck subnets as well.

The Yamaha can play Pandora and Internet radio just fine. Just not able to see any files  when the input is set to Server.

The Samsung does not see JRiver, just the media files on the Synology NAS.

Over the course of the past couple of days I have tried rebooting and restarting all equipment several times(PC, routers, NAS, Yamaha). I even did uninstall (both boxes checked) and reinstall of MC21.0.6.

I will try syncing without authentication. I do not see any place on the Yamaha menus on where to enter PC user or password of any type.

When I read the reviews for the Yamaha seen here:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/receivers/yamaha-rx-a1040-audio-video-receiver-review/

The setup with JRiver was allegedly super easy, one of the factors in deciding to go with JRiver:

I found the Yamaha extremely easy to set up. I initially hooked up the Yamaha to my music server via Ethernet (all non-compressed WAV & FLAC-0 files). My preferred server software is JRiver Media player for PC, and I was pleased to see that JRiver immediately recognized the Yamaha as a DNLA destination. Selecting the Yamaha as the active device in JRiver, I then set the Yamaha’s input to “Net,” and the music instantly played. No fuss, no muss, one of the easiest setups ever!

This leads me to think some subtle setting might have been garbled when  going through the MC install as described above.

BTW, I do appreciate the help from all of you and looking forward to figuring this out.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »

Has the Yamaha been set up for network use? Have you entered your router's IP address etc. somewhere?

experimike

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 03:03:13 pm »

Found the issue. ATT rewired my home network connections so the downstairs switch went to their router instead of mine; this affects all downstairs hardwired ethernet ports (wish they would have told me). The Yamaha was set to wireless but was connecting through guest so the IP showed up on my internal Belkin router but did not allow network access.  Reset wireless security code so now all on the same internal service. And all works easy - just like I had hoped.

experimike

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 03:11:11 pm »

Thanks RoderickGI for the link to information about Yamaha DLNA cpapbolities. I will look into it down the road once I finish getting the MC21 setup the way I'd like.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can't get JRiver to see Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 network receiver [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 06:23:17 pm »

Excellent.

Do get back to running Andrew's Media Renderer Analyser at some stage and share the report with him.

The more I look at the DLNA capabilities of even modern receivers the more I get frustrated. They market themselves as DLNA capable, but then provide a limited set of capabilities. Having a database of real capabilities to look up will be a boon for users looking for a new receiver, as I will be in the future.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up