INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist sorting and Recent commands (For Antoine)  (Read 2935 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Playlist sorting and Recent commands (For Antoine)
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:41 am »

In another thread:

To give the user the option of grouping songs by albums in regular playlists (it exists only for smart playlists as far as I can see).

You can sort regular playlists by any column.  You can click on columns to sort by them.  Or you can go to the playlist name in the header, click, and choose from the Sort By menu.  Note that Sort By has a Custom section where you can specify any field, even if it's not shown.

Once a list is sorted, you'll notice that the sequence numbers on the left are now out of order.  That's because you'd just sorted it; not reordered it's play order.  If you want to make the current sorted state into the play order, click on the playlist name in the header and choose Update Order.  Now the play order will match the sort order.

To add 2 more "recently used function" buttons when right clicking? I'm using this a lot when tagging and would like that the software remembers the last 3 different actions!

You can choose to have 2, 3, 4, or more Recently used functions in the right click menu.  Set the options here:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Right click recent command count > (choose number)

I hope this helps you.

Brian.

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:42:23 pm »

Hi Blgentry,
Thanks for the tip, but I feel that the OP means sorting and grouping by album (all files of rhe same album under one cover art), which I did not succeed to achieve in playlist.
Kami
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

blgentry

Re: Playlist sorting and Recent commands (For Antoine)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:46:41 pm »

Ok, so you're looking for the group by functionality that Views (and smartlists) can have.  Why would this help for a playlist?  It seems like you'd want to use a View if you want that kind of grouping.  Is this just a visual thing?

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:51:21 pm »

I just read the post you made in the feature requests.  Did you know you can view playlists in a Panes view?  You can add a Pane for Playlist Group, and then select the playlist you want to see.  The display will follow your Group By, so you'll get album art grouped by album as you expect.

You can also modify any view to be limited to the contents of one or more playlists through "set rules for file display".

Brian.

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:08:26 pm »

Thank you for the quick reply Brian,

I did not explore the view functions since I just want to make a quick one time list through smartlist and view them the way I wanted, most of the time very simple album view on which I can drill down.

To tell the truth, I am not a fan of views since I feel that many times what I wanted to see was slightly different from any existing views, I ended up with too many of them... I may reconsider.

I'll try this weekend to explore a bit more your offer to go through panes view for playlist.

Cheers Kami
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:59:18 pm »

I found this thread because I just encountered the same issue (and searching the forum paid off): why isn't there a "Group By" option in regular (non-smart) playlists? I would really like to use "Group By" -> none.  Is there a reason for the smartlist vs non-smart playlists to be different?

Bill

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:12:12 pm »

Maybe I found an answer: I clicked on "sequence" number and album "group by" was removed from the display and I had a simple list of songs (which is what I was after.)

Bill

Edit:  But it doesn't "stick" - I have to re-sort by seq each time I got into the playlist to get the flat, ungrouped list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up