INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JTV file conversion fails at 0%  (Read 5418 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
JTV file conversion fails at 0%
« on: October 23, 2015, 11:44:27 am »

Trying to convert recorded TV shows from JTV to ANY format is failing at 0%.  Almost as if it can't create the new file (it hasn't created any new file), or if it can't get the required codec (but it isn't asking for a codec).  Ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JTV file conversion fails at 0%
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 12:19:27 pm »

Can you play the JTV files?

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:13:18 pm »

Yes I can play the files, and yes the file permissions appear to allow writing, and yes I'm using the default JTV directory structure.  And yes, I also tried writing to a new directory.

Both files I tested were very short--2 or 3 minutes.

And boy, what a great feature request could be made out of the auto-conversion idea!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:42:56 pm »

These are your large analogue TV recordings I assume? Maybe the conversion routine is having a little trouble recognising them, even though they do play.

Also, try a longer recording, say at least five minutes. I don't know if that will help, but I have read some people having trouble with short recordings, usually much shorter recordings though.

I have never been happy with the conversion utility in MC, but as the video portion of MC has been rewritten by Hendrik, I believe that this will be improved in the near future. I just hope multi-channel audio is retained when this is done. In fact I don't really want a conversion utility as much as I want a remux utility, so that the original video and audio formats are retained, and just moved to a new container. For recorded TV in JTV format, that would be brilliant, even if MC just remuxed them to TS format, which is then very convertible with many applications.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:57 pm »

Any way you can share a sample recording (do a recording for just one minute)?  I am suspecting that our current video conversion code does not handle uncompressed video well.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:58 pm »

1.  What Roderick said about remuxing.  JTV offers enormous benefits, but portability is not one of them--nor was it intended to be. 

2.  Yao, I can do a short recording, but it's still going to be 2gb or so.  How do I get this to you?  Go easy on me--I'm the product of a public school education!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »

You can use a file sharing service, such as DropBox, or OneDrive.

Before you do that, tell me what video capture device do you use for recording.

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:51:01 pm »

Hey Yao--

I've been using a Diamond VC 500.  It's a USB nubbin, just like the Haupppauge 980.  Reason I went to it is that the Hauppage 980 can only accept coax input and the quality is very low.   The VC500 takes component input and while the result is somewhat softer, the overall quality is acceptable, which the Hauppauge 980 never was.

FWIW, I spent 2 years trying to wish my Hauppauge PRV2 into functionality and never got there.  $200 boat anchor!

Umm, the Dropbox upload (or any kind of upload) is going to take quite a while on my end, so if there is a better idea that skips this step let's go with that.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 04:00:09 pm »

I've been using a Diamond VC 500.  It's a USB nubbin, just like the Haupppauge 980.  Reason I went to it is that the Hauppage 980 can only accept coax input and the quality is very low.   The VC500 takes component input and while the result is somewhat softer, the overall quality is acceptable, which the Hauppauge 980 never was.

I do not have this device on hand.  Go to TV Options, Advanced, "Copy TV related filter info to clipboard", and either post the result here, or email it to me.

FWIW, I spent 2 years trying to wish my Hauppauge PRV2 into functionality and never got there.  $200 boat anchor!

Does it show anything at all?  Does it work with Hauppauge supplied software?

My HD PVR2 Game Edition initially behaved OK but after a short while, it started behaving badly, requiring a power cycle every few hours.  Fortunately for me it was still under warranty and I got it replaced.  It it OK now, so far so good.
Umm, the Dropbox upload (or any kind of upload) is going to take quite a while on my end, so if there is a better idea that skips this step let's go with that.

You can hold off uploading for now, and forward me the filter info first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up