INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the correct way to install my music from a external .....  (Read 3767 times)

matt00

• Recent member
Whats the correct way to install my music from a external .....
« on: December 21, 2015, 03:53:14 pm »

I just installed MC 21 and saved it on my C drive which is a SSD. I would like to put all my music on my D drive (2tb).
What is the correct way to transfer all my music from my external HD (drive H)? I think auto-import would be a mistake
as it would mess up the paths :D

Thanks,

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »

Use the rename, move and copy function, then your library and paths get updated the correct way automatically.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: Whats the correct way to install my music from a external .....
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 01:52:12 am »

Personally if it is a clean install, I would use Windows Explorer to copy the files from H to D. And then I would completely disconnect H. And then I would install (or start) MC and tell it to look at D (only). And just keep H as a backup in a safe place somewhere.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

matt00

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:17:17 am »

Thanks Andrew, I think I may just do that. It sounds like it would be the easiest way to transfer my music. :)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »

Thanks Andrew, I think I may just do that. It sounds like it would be the easiest way to transfer my music. :)

One other thing you should do before you import your files from the external drive.  Windows may assign a different drive letter to an external drive depending on the order it discovers devices during the boot process.  If you happen to have more than one external drive connected when Windows starts, you may get a different drive letter for your music drive.  You can permanently assign you backup drive to a drive letter that you choose to avoid future problems.

1. In a Window Explorer window, right click on "Computer" in the left pane and choose "Manage" from the right-click menu that appears.

2. In the "Computer Management" window that appears, click on "Disk Management" under "Storage" in the left pane.

3. In the list of disks in the right pane, right click on the external drive you will use for music storage and choose "Change drive letter and paths...".

4. Pick an unassigned drive letter for the drive.  (I use "M" for music on each computer where I have music stored.)

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 12:26:24 pm »

I have a question on this that exposes my ignorance.   If you copy all the files to a different drive, and then let MC rebuild the library, are the tag changes that have been made preserved?  In other words, when you edit tags, do the edits live in the files or in the library?  If the latter, then you'd want to copy your library right?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 01:15:28 pm »

I have a question on this that exposes my ignorance.   If you copy all the files to a different drive, and then let MC rebuild the library, are the tag changes that have been made preserved?  In other words, when you edit tags, do the edits live in the files or in the library?  If the latter, then you'd want to copy your library right?

tags can be (and usually are) saved to files.  you need to make sure this option is checked (tools>options>library&folders>manage fields).  It needs to be set for each field you want saved to the file, but the default is checked so other than any custom fields you've made most tags should be stored in the files

tools>options>file locations is where to find the option to "store cover art in file" if you want those to be in the file as well.

also go into tools>options>general and check "update tags when file info changes".  this tracks any changes in the file tags

video files are usually tagged with sidecar files, if those are copied over then the tags will remain in place when you do the move

and finally, if you are worried you can select all your files and right click>library tools>"update tags (from library)"  this will force the tags into the files (provided the option to do so is checked as mentioned above)

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 02:58:43 pm »

Everything ferday said is correct.  But I'm not sure if simply saving the tags to the files will preserve things like Play Count, Skip Count, rating, and other non-standard fields.  Certainly for some types of files (like WAV), you'll lose all of that information if you are simply relying upon the tags in the files.

This is why I generally recommend one of these methods for moving files from disk to disk:

A.  Use Rename, Move, and Copy to move the files to another drive.  You can use the Copy (and update database) mode to make a true copy and update MC's library location at the same time.  Or you can use Rename mode, which will move the files, effectively deleting the file from the original location and copying it to the new location.  This is a good method and it's "perfect" in that it does everything for you, including the file moves/copies and updating MC's database (library).  I don't like it for large moves though, because it doesn't report detailed status, and I wonder what's going on while it's doing the moves/copies.

B.  Move or Copy the files externally using a different tool.  You can move/copy the files with Windows Explorer or another tool that you like.  I tend to use Rsync a lot, but that's just me (and I use a Mac).  After the files are copied over, *then* you use Rename, Move, and Copy files in Update Database mode to point to the new location.  You can usually do this task by using the Find & Replace option inside of the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace

Option B is my preferred method, as it gives me complete control and status.  The RM&C step is generally lightning fast in this case, as it is just updating pointers in MC's database (library).

Both of these methods preserve every single database field without relying on them being written to the file tags.  There are other ways of course, but these two are the most guaranteed and straight forward in my opinion.

Brian.

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 05:54:22 pm »

One other thing you should do before you import your files from the external drive.  Windows may assign a different drive letter to an external drive depending on the order it discovers devices during the boot process.  If you happen to have more than one external drive connected when Windows starts, you may get a different drive letter for your music drive.  You can permanently assign you backup drive to a drive letter that you choose to avoid future problems.

1. In a Window Explorer window, right click on "Computer" in the left pane and choose "Manage" from the right-click menu that appears.

2. In the "Computer Management" window that appears, click on "Disk Management" under "Storage" in the left pane.

3. In the list of disks in the right pane, right click on the external drive you will use for music storage and choose "Change drive letter and paths...".

4. Pick an unassigned drive letter for the drive.  (I use "M" for music on each computer where I have music stored.)

Thanks mate i finally sussed that out

i used very high letters in alphabet Ie y and Z

Now everytime i connect those ext drives to those usb ports on pc theres no probs

im quite anal tho , now the old files from old libraries still show , so all lps and tracks are doubled

This causes problems when playing an lp when it gets to track not there

Now how do i remove those old instances called F and H ( i renamed to Y and z )

i only want one instance of each to show . How can i safely remove F and H w/out removing Y and Z

I seen remove whole library , but i dont want to do that

Cheers

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 06:17:43 pm »

Make a smartlist or view that only sees F and H in filename (path)

Delete those files from media center

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 06:32:44 pm »

Cheers m8
Pages: [1]   Go Up