INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eBook Cover Images?  (Read 2833 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
eBook Cover Images?
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:53:45 pm »

Hi,

After trying Calibre, and finding it lacking, I remembered that MC would likely provide all (or most of) the functionality I wanted to manage my ebook collection.

I'm wondering if anyone has a fairly automated way in which to acquire cover art for ebooks. (genre or other categorization would be nice too, but is not necessary). I know I could do it manually by searching the internet, but I'd rather save that for all the one-off and technical white papers that don't necessarily have a cover.

Or is there a way to have MC use the first page of the ebook as a cover?

Apologies in advance if this is covered somewhere and I missed it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: eBook Cover Images?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:45 am »

You want this excellent post by forum member Syndrome of a Down: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87545.0

It works very well.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:52:55 am »

Calibre can scrape for covers, genre, description, etc.
It stores the metadata in an opf file and the cover art is just a normal image like jpg.
You have the option to save these inside the epub or beside it.
MC doesn't use the opf or the image (unless the image is named the same as the epub and is in the same folder).
I don't have enough books to bother learning Calibre so I'm not very good with it.

epubmetadata editor is a free program that lets you edit covers and metadata. It doesn't scrape.
I use it to extract(and add) embedded cover art. I just drag the art from the program into a windows folder.
It would be very quick to do multiple books if they are in the same folder because you could scroll down the list as you drag art out.
It's very easy to use and my Kobo uses all the fields I enter with it.

Be careful messing around with your books. I have had many become corrupted by different programs.
I have never had any issues with the ones mentioned above. A backup is always a good idea.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »

Just wanted to thank you both for the replies. Hoping to get to it this weekend - things got rather busy on the home front!

Best,
S
Pages: [1]   Go Up