INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M4A MC21 "Something went wrong with playback"  (Read 5237 times)

CraigK

• Recent member
M4A MC21 "Something went wrong with playback"
« on: January 23, 2016, 10:23:25 am »

Very new to JRiver.  Using MC21.  All media files stored on NAS and only using JRiver as DLNA client.

Most files play just fine, however when I click on an M4A file (located on the DLNA server) MC just hangs for a minute and then gives the error "Something went wrong with playback".

I am able to play the same file, off of the same NAS, no problem through the regular Windows 10 Media Player.

I've searched and played around with various settings but nothing seems to work.  It is on a pretty simple HTPC NUC running Windows 10, JRiver and not much else.

Thanks for any input.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: M4A MC21 "Something went wrong with playback"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:32:56 am »

Do those M4A files play if you copy them to a local disk instead?

If they won't play at all, it might help if you post a sample file for us to examine and test.  Use dropbox, or google drive or a similar service if you decide to post a sample.

Brian.

CraigK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 10:50:44 am »

Copied file from NAS/DLNA Serve to local drive.

Right clicking on the local file and choosing "Open with JRiver" works.
Also right clicking on the NAS drive  in Windows Explorer and choosing the same file to "open with JRiver" also works.
Same file "open with Media Player" also works no matter the location chosen.

Seems only to be a problem with JRiver playing that file from the DLNA source.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:53:43 am »

Oh DLNA!  I assumed regular file sharing.

I know of no good reason to run DLNA from a file server (NAS box) to JRiver.  In *my opinion*, you should import the files into JRiver MC via a drive letter and normal windows file sharing.  Then you'll have no issues.  In fact, I'd turn off DLNA on the NAS entirely.

Brian

CraigK

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:02:45 am »

Thanks Brian.  I hate to sidetrack the issue on the merits or not of a DLNA setup.  It's something that has served me and all of my various connected household devices very well for the past number of years.

Is it possible to focus on how we may be able to resolve this particular issue on the set-up I have now.  I assume JRiver support as a DLNA client is there for a reason so I don't know if this M4A issue is by design or a setup issue that I am overlooking.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 11:07:34 am »

I'll leave DNLA behavior issues to other people as I have very little direct experience with it.  There are several people here who are very skilled with it.  Good luck.

Brian.

leslie12345

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 05:23:11 pm »

I have the same problem.  I have my files on a hard drive in my computer and all M4A files won't play.  I didn't have this problem prior to "upgrading" to Windows 10 and for a while after I went to Windows 10 but was using MC20, it was working but then it even stopped working with MC20 so something is going on in JRiver and Windows 10.  In the past, it read them as DSD files and now it says they are M4A.  I don't think it has anything to do with where the files reside.  It actually starts loading the file and my DAC reads the file for a moment but then it just stops and never plays anything.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 08:21:17 am »

^ We probably need some more information.  I don't know why an actual M4A file would every show up as a DSD file.  I'm pretty sure M4A files don't need quicktime to play either; I think they are natively supported by MC.

I'm not sure what to advise.  Maybe build a new library as a test?  Import only a few M4A files and see what happens.

Maybe post one of your files that won't play so we can examine it?  Dropbox, google drive, etc.

Brian.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:25 pm »

I may be wrong, but I don't think that MC is actually able to play M4A streams. It can play M4A files, but I don't think it can play M4A streams.

So instead of trying to serve the tracks as streams from the DLNA server, try turning off the DLNA server, and turn on the NAS FILE server and try serving them as files rather than streams.

Alternatively set your DLNA server to transcode the tracks to L16..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 05:08:29 pm »

^ The latest poster, Leslie, seems to have M4A files on local disk, not DLNA like the previous poster.  Unless I'm misunderstanding.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up