INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I know what DSP profile I have loaded? [Solved - mostly]  (Read 7585 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
How do I know what DSP profile I have loaded? [Solved - mostly]
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:04:39 pm »

I don't see a way to confirm what is "Loaded" in the DSP settings.

I have two "test" profiles.

First I went into DSP "Room Correction" and set the Center Channel to +5db (I want to boost the voices of my movies) for my 7.1 system, and I have Output Format set to 7.1. This is all I use for now.
I used the "Save" button and gave it a name ("Profile 1").

Then I setup a second profile the same as the first but added "Volume Leveling". I saved this profile/settings as "Profile 2".

I loaded "profile 2" but the settings have not changed from profile 1. The Volume Leveling box is not checked.

And I don't see anywhere on the screen anything telling me what is "Loaded".

Lastly, I clicked the "Load" button and selected my saved profile 1 again, now the Output Format says "Not Loaded" and the settings window is blank. But if I click away and come back, the settings return and are the same. Maybe this par tis just a fluke of the program.

So I'm just looking for some guidance on how this part of MC works. Any tips on using this feature?

If I "Load" a saved profile/setting should all the applicable areas (check boxes) get automatically checked and all the settings inside then be configured?

DoubtingThomas

Re: How do I know what DSP profile I have loaded?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:10:30 pm »

Good Question.

If you add [DSP] to the display area on top of the program it will show you the DSP profile loaded.

Right click in the display area and choose "customize display".

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 01:28:16 am »

Good Question.

If you add [DSP] to the display area on top of the program it will show you the DSP profile loaded.

Right click in the display area and choose "customize display".

I have a lot of info in this line and can't seem to get [DSP] to work....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:21:18 am »

how about associating each profile to a zone.  That won't take up the space and you won't have any loading issues that way. As you only have 2, pretty easy. That's what I do anyways, just set the zone to show as Thomas mentioned

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:34:11 am »

I tried your tip (add "[DSP]" to the display bar) but it didn't work. I added it to a couple of different places (the status line and display line) and tried viewing alternate text. I never saw the DSP profile/name.
If I'm playing Audio, I could click on the "path symbol" under the display bar but it just says "Room Correction" regardless of what is loaded and not the name of the loaded profile. When I'm viewing Video, there is no "path symbol" and nothing shows in the Display window. I'm more interested in having this work during Video playback.

I think the loaded profile name should be displayed at the top of the DSP settings window so a quick check of Audio settings would be easy to do.

Also, minor, but this always bothered me, the DSP settings window should have a "Okay" or "Apply" button on the bottom like the other settings windows, rather then just close the window with the "X".

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 11:17:05 am »

I agree, just closing the window is always kind of weird.  Sometimes I play with the EQ and I'd love to see an OK and Cancel button so I can revert or apply the odd change

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:14:45 pm »

Bump-

So should adding "[DSP]" to the status line in the Display Window show which DSP profile is loaded?

Or do I need to create Zones to see this info?

I suppose this is not too important or the heavy Audio user folks would have mentioned it already.  :-\

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »

So should adding "[DSP]" to the status line in the Display Window show which DSP profile is loaded?

It's working for me.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »

I can't get [DSP] to work....maybe because I'm trying it on MC20
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 07:41:30 pm »

I can't get [DSP] to work....maybe because I'm trying it on MC20

I thought DSP per file was an MC21 feature.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 11:54:06 pm »

Wouldn't the [DSP] field display only work if you are using DSP per file, and have a value in the DSP tag for the file you are looking at? None of my media files have anything in that tag, because I'm not using DSP per file.

I thought DSP per file was an MC21 feature?

Also, it seems DSP per file is tied to DSP Presets, and the ability to load DSP Presets per file goes all the way back to;

20.0.6 (8/11/2014)
14. NEW: DSP presets can be loaded per file by setting the DSP field (the list is from Load/Save on DSP Studio).

===================================================================

21.0.15 (10/14/2015)
1. Fixed: DSP presets set for video files didn't load properly.

20.0.65 (2/3/2015)
12. Fixed: MC could crash when loading DSP presets on track change while the DSP Studio window was open.

20.0.34 (11/11/2014)
8. Fixed: The settings of some DSP plugins (eg. Effects) did not load properly when a DSP preset was automatically loaded during playback.

20.0.21 (10/6/2014)
6. Fixed: The Effects DSP did not properly load its settings when loading DSP Presets.

20.0.15 (9/12/2014)
4. Fixed: DSP presets wouldn't load equalizer settings reliably.

20.0.14 (9/9/2014)
8. Fixed: Having a DSP set for a file would cause it to fail to convert.

20.0.11 (8/27/2014)
4. Fixed: Loading equalizer settings from a DSP preset wouldn't work reliably.

20.0.7 (8/13/2014)
14. Fixed: Output Format wasn't loading / saving with DSP Presets.

20.0.6 (8/11/2014)
14. NEW: DSP presets can be loaded per file by setting the DSP field (the list is from Load/Save on DSP Studio).

20.0.5 (8/4/2014)
7. NEW: Added a Load/Save button to DSP Studio.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

Re: How do I know what DSP profile I have loaded? [Solved]
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:54:42 am »

I marked this thread "Solved" - but it's really more "figured it out".

I thought creating a DSP profile and saving-loading it would apply to all files (audio-video) and show the name of the profile loaded. If it does, it is not clearly shown anywhere.

But,  I figured out that in order to see the name of the profile, I have to add it to every individual file's tag for "DSP[/u]".  Does that mean nothing is applied if I don't see a name in the Display Window?

So I selected a group of audio and video files, added a column in Standard View>Files to show the tag "DSP" then went in and edited that field to add the DSP profile name (which was in a drop down list). Once that was done the Display View showed the profile name.

So this makes me wonder what DSP profile is used if the DSP tag is blank. Perhaps the DSP tag/name shown when playing a file with a blank DSP tag should just show  "No DSP" or "Not Set" or whatever is happening when the tag is empty?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 03:21:13 pm »

So this makes me wonder what DSP profile is used if the DSP tag is blank. Perhaps the DSP tag/name shown when playing a file with a blank DSP tag should just show  "No DSP" or "Not Set" or whatever is happening when the tag is empty?

If there is no DSP assigned by file, as shown in the [DSP] tag, then the DSP in effect would be whatever is defined for the Zone you are playing in. Even if you haven't set up additional Zones, there is always a "Player" zone in MC. Those settings don't have a convenient name that can be displayed in the Display Area.

The [DSP] tag is only used to assign a DSP Preset to individual files.

While a DSP Preset can be saved from, and loaded into a specific Zone, I don't see any way to assign a DSP Preset to a Zone. In other words, when playing a file that has no DSP Preset assigned to it, there is no DSP Preset assigned to playback. There are just the DSP settings for the Zone.

So I guess that answers your initial question: There is no way to confirm what is "Loaded" in the DSP settings, by DSP Preset name, unless you assign a DSP Preset to all files.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »

Roderick your understanding of MC is much greater than mine. Thanks for explaining.

I did more testing - I made a few DSP profiles where I used the "Tempo & Pitch" DSP and made the "Rate +3.00x" and "Rate -3.00X". This made it easy to hear when that DSP profile was active.

1) I found that if you delete a profile in DSP settings, but don't clear the file's DSP tag, and found that MC will still show the file's DSP tag in the Player Window even though MC is not using that profile.

** This is not too surprising but Users need to know that you can't always trust what is reported in the Player/Display window.
. It would be nice if MC could through up a warning when a DSP profile is in a file's tag but the DSP profile no longer exists.

2) The "Rate change profiles" worked fine on Audio files, but when I tried these on Video files they didn't work., The Display Window still showed that "DSP is "Tempo & Pitch" was being used but MC never used that DSP profile. Either the DSP profiles don't work with Video files - or that specific "Tempo & Pitch" profile was not compatible with a video file so MC didn't use it.

I'll test some more DSP profiles with video files later.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 05:03:36 pm »

Roderick your understanding of MC is much greater than mine. Thanks for explaining.

We all have our specialties. There is heaps in MC that I know nothing about.

2) The "Rate change profiles" worked fine on Audio files, but when I tried these on Video files they didn't work., The Display Window still showed that "DSP is "Tempo & Pitch" was being used but MC never used that DSP profile. Either the DSP profiles don't work with Video files - or that specific "Tempo & Pitch" profile was not compatible with a video file so MC didn't use it.

There was this fix way back when:
21.0.15 (10/14/2015)
1. Fixed: DSP presets set for video files didn't load properly.

But I'm thinking that maybe if you have Video Clock turned on, that prevents a change in tempo, or reverses it? After all Video Clock adjusts the audio tempo to match the video rate. What does the audio path show for the video file you tested on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up