INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JR MC21 Freezes [Solved]  (Read 5726 times)

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
JR MC21 Freezes [Solved]
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:37:15 am »

I have JRiver MC21.  When I go to play a cd, a listing of the songs comes up.  When I move my mouse around a bit looking for a song, JRiver freezes.  Sometimes right away or sometimes after I have played on song and go back to the main list.  It just freezes up and I have to a ctrl alt del to get out of it.  It also happens if you are scrolling along the song list.  It sometimes happens with TV shows as well that lists episodes but it happens all the time with music.    So for some reason, it doesn't like lists of things.  Very strange.  Playing movies seems to be fine I think.  Plus I can scroll through my movie list with no problems.  Any idea what would cause JRiver to freeze?​ I am at a loss.  This never happened with my old machine and this one is much stronger than that one.
P.S  Is there a way to clear the cache of JRiver so it grabs all new info?
Here is my machine
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/1309798-my-ht-2ch-setup-42.html
See post 1258 on this link

Any ideas on why JRiver is freezing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JR MC21 Freezes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:06:14 am »

Could be some "security" software running.  Could be a driver problem.  There have been a few lately, especially with Win10.  Here, for example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.msg709508#msg709508

You could look through that thread for other ideas.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:58:02 am »

It's not a security issue and I am running Windows 7.  It's a brand new build.  I will try and
look at some of those links.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:56 am »

If its a new build and your importing a large media collection, it can take a while for MC to import and update/analyze all your media. And while MC is doing this in the background, it uses up a lot of computer resources. You could try turning off "Run auto-import in background" and "Analyze Audio for audio (and/or video) files" temporarily to see if the freezes stop.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:45:58 am »

If its a new build and your importing a large media collection, it can take a while for MC to import and update/analyze all your media. And while MC is doing this in the background, it uses up a lot of computer resources. You could try turning off "Run auto-import in background" and "Analyze Audio for audio (and/or video) files" temporarily to see if the freezes stop.
+1 especially the audio analysis. However, your system is more than powerful enough and you have 16gb of RAM.  However, audio analysis of  video files can take a long time. New or not, really look into your drivers and make sure they are up to date. The only time I have had freezing issues for audio is with outdated video drivers... which could seem like a paradox. There have been people with issues with NVidia cards mentioned also, you could search the forum if you have one. But if memory serves this more on Win10 systems not Win7.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:08 am »

OK Arindelle and  CountryBumkin.
Thanks for the info.  So this may clear up in time?  Is this that what both of you are saying?
Should I go down a level in driver or not.  All my drivers are up to date. 
Is there anyway to "speed" up the process, if that is the case?  If I turn off those settings(not sure where they are)
How would I know to turn them on again?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 10:05:50 am »

You can turn On and Off the feature at "Tools>Options>Library & Folders".
Also in Standard View, go to "Services & Plug-ins" and open "Reporter", see what it says under "Processing" and "Background Tools Running".
I would not do anything with the drivers at this point.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:27 am »

You can turn On and Off the feature at "Tools>Options>Library & Folders".
Also in Standard View, go to "Services & Plug-ins" and open "Reporter", see what it says under "Processing" and "Background Tools Running".
I would not do anything with the drivers at this point.
OK.  I will check some of that stuff out.  I have the server for about 2 weeks though.  Should it take that long?  I will still look and see if
a lot of things are running.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:39:32 am »

The reporter looks fine to me.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Plus I turned off those options and it is still freezing  :'(
Is there anything else I can do?  The only other thing I guess would be a fresh install.  But I was looking to avoid that.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 07:05:33 am »

Check Windows "Event Viewer" for any suspicious warnings or errors.
Be sure the MC log is turned ON, Help>Logging, it may have some clues too.

Do you have any networked devices connected (NAS, Client computers, etc.) maybe try without those connected.

Run the Benchmark performance tool (help>benchmarking). What is your JMark number? Under 2000 is a relatively weak computer (but a low score alone doesn't mean you will have freezes).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 08:00:56 am »

It's not a security issue ...
Are you sure?

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:45 am »

There is no antivirus on the computer.  I know my friend set this up correctly.  I work with him and he really knows his stuff.  He figured out another issue I was having when everyone was giving me advice.  It was his that worked.  So I am going to try what he suggested since he feels that it should work.  

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 06:41:04 am »

I "downgraded" the video driver and that corrected the issue.  It's even mentioned on this site as the thing to do.  It may not be optimal but if it works I am fine with it.

I did some testing and it did not freeze up at all.  So I don't care if it's an older driver.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 07:58:40 am »

Can you mention the model Graphics card you have, and what version driver you are now using?
That info may help others in the same boat.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 08:12:49 am »

Can you mention the model Graphics card you have, and what version driver you are now using?
That info may help others in the same boat.
Sure.
The Video card is  EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487091&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6155355&SID=ijzrmi8q2a00s3dy00053
I got the 2GB one
And the Driver is Nivida 347.88
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/83080/en-us

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 11:58:55 am »

Sure.
The Video card is  EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487091&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6155355&SID=ijzrmi8q2a00s3dy00053
I got the 2GB one
And the Driver is Nivida 347.88
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/83080/en-us

Thanks for the info. It's probably worth reporting to Nvidia as it's my understanding that they are pretty aggressive in making sure their drivers work really well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up