INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dtc's DSD requests  (Read 3097 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
dtc's DSD requests
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:39:26 am »

In DSP Studio, add either Playback or Convert Format to the header depending on how it was called. Now the two windows look exactly the same, even though the two modes are independent.

Some DSD changes:

In DSP Studio and in Convert Format, add entries for converting the sample rate for 1xDSD (2.8MHz), 2xDSD(5.6MHz) and 4xDSD(10.2Mhz) , rather than just > 768,000.

In the DSP Plug-in when converting to DSD to PCM increase the slope of the 30KHz and 50 KHz filters to 48dB/octave so the high frequency noise is adequately filtered out. Either change the existing filters or add new ones with the higher slopes. The current 24 dB/octave are not steep enough to completely filter out the noise.

Add a dff to dsf conversion that does not go through PCM. My understanding is that the only difference is the tags in the header, the data is the same.  So the conversion can just be a header change and a straight copy of the data. This would be a special case for convert file, but a simple one. Currently, few programs convert dff to dsf and some sources still provide dff format files.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: dtc's DSD requests
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:46:02 am »

I split this from the Too Easy thread because they don't qualify for the given limitations.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:10:26 am »

I split this from the Too Easy thread because they don't qualify for the given limitations.

I would think chainging the header to DSP Studio should be a easy task.

The DSD suggests may take more than an hour, but they seem like pretty simple to do. Hopefully they will be considered.

Thanks.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:18:10 am »

I thought of a more general case, when there are two different mappings for PCM & DSD - as an input, and there is possible to define also the output to resample to - per input format, if the DAC supports natively DSD (some subset of) and PCM/DXD (again, subset)

Specifically, I need a possibility to stream DSD as DSD, but DSDx2/DSDx4 to convert to something DAC understands (hopefully DSD, if not PCM 176/24)

This will require refactoring of few dialogs to a single page with drill-down options

RD James

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:59:14 am »

I think the easier change is to make DSP Studio's labels kHz and add a note to each of the rates which DSD can be played at.
 So "352,800 Hz" becomes "352.8 kHz (1× DSD)"

+1 on the other two suggestions.
Also I think I remember someone saying that the filters don't scale with the DSD rate. So a 24kHz filter doesn't run at 48kHz for 2× DSD or 96kHz for 4× DSD.

I think a better solution to michael123's problem is to add an automatic mode to DSD bitstreaming, like we have for PCM bit-depth.
Instead of bitstreaming activating for all DSD rates, it would detect the maximum supported rate and only bitstream up to that.
There are a lot of DSD DACs which only support 1× DSD, and playback will break if you have bitstreaming enabled and try to play a 2× DSD file.

But there is a more fundamental issue that completely breaks DoP playback which needs to be fixed before any of this:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104128

It should be a very small change too, it just needs to be implemented.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:01:34 pm »

Specifically, I need a possibility to stream DSD as DSD, but DSDx2/DSDx4 to convert to something DAC understands (hopefully DSD, if not PCM 176/24)

These requests are all good and would probably be helpful.  However, there *is* a way to do what you want with MC right now.  At a high level it's this:

1.  Add a new Zone, and make it use your existing DAC as the sound device.
2.  Configure this zone to play 2xDSD as you want it to.  Which is probably with bitstreaming disabled and resampling of 704kHz down to a PCM rate that your DAC can handle (like 192kHz).  You probably don't want ot re-encode to 1xDSD, because it all goes through PCM anyway.
3.  Set up a zone switch rule that activates this new zone whenever it detects 2xDSD.  The zone switch rule should trigger on something like the [Sample Rate] field, which should identify 2xDSD content pretty uniquely.

Good luck.

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 06:24:27 am »

That presumes that you only ever play one type of content at a time.
Zone switch doesn't handle the case where you play multiple albums in a row or random tracks.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 07:44:07 am »

^ You are correct.  I learned this a while back after starting a thread about it.  It seems that's the way it is for now.

Which is yet another reason that breaking out DSD support (as described in this thread) might be a good idea.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up