INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EPG Using mc2xml Stopped Working  (Read 8360 times)

robertoleiseka

• Recent member
EPG Using mc2xml Stopped Working
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:15:05 pm »

My sole reason in upgrading to MC21 (from MC18) is due to EPG being fixed. After the initial installation, EPG (using mc2xml) was not working. Later on, it starts working again without my intervention. Happy as a camper.

After successfully setting up MC21 to run EPG automatically using mc2xml, it was working. Until now. MC21 stopped updating the EPG, getting a message that the data does not contain information. In addition, Norton Security Suite identifies mc2xml.exe as a security threat and removes it. Is there a current problem using mc2xml?

I tried using the xmltv option by downloading the xmltv.exe from the recommended website, but I find it to be more complicated, even when reading through the instructions. ?

Any help is much appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: EPG Using mc2xml Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:25:22 pm »

MC21 stopped updating the EPG, getting a message that the data does not contain information. In addition, Norton Security Suite identifies mc2xml.exe as a security threat and removes it.
It appears that Norton is causing the problem.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 02:30:22 pm »

In addition, Norton Security Suite identifies mc2xml.exe as a security threat and removes it. Is there a current problem using mc2xml?

Just tell Norton to Restore mc2xml.exe and then it should leave it alone. If you find the deletion of mc2xml in the Norton History, you will find the Restore function is available there. The option may be to "Restore and Exclude this file" or similar. Also check it with Norton File Insight (I'm assuming that exists in Norton Security Suite, as I use Norton 360) and give it a Trusted rating. As long as you are using the built in mc2xml, that shouldn't be a problem. If you use an external version of mc2xml that you have downloaded, and Norton finds a virus in it, don't trust it. You should always download the external version from the original site: http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/ Norton will block some of the other sites that mc2xml can be found on.

Then set the following programs to Allow in the Firewall: JRWorker.exe, JRWeb.exe, Media Center 21.exe, and JRSerice.exe found in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21". Maybe even "MC21.exe" found in the two Windows directories, "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64".

All that should fix interference from Norton. So then check the setup of mc2xml and see if it starts working.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

robertoleiseka

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:14:21 pm »

It appears that Norton is causing the problem.

It was working before with the Norton running and no setting was changed in Norton. I am scratching my head as to why Norton is the culprit, if it is the case.

robertoleiseka

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 05:16:56 pm »

Just tell Norton to Restore mc2xml.exe and then it should leave it alone. If you find the deletion of mc2xml in the Norton History, you will find the Restore function is available there. The option may be to "Restore and Exclude this file" or similar. Also check it with Norton File Insight (I'm assuming that exists in Norton Security Suite, as I use Norton 360) and give it a Trusted rating. As long as you are using the built in mc2xml, that shouldn't be a problem. If you use an external version of mc2xml that you have downloaded, and Norton finds a virus in it, don't trust it. You should always download the external version from the original site: http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/ Norton will block some of the other sites that mc2xml can be found on.

Then set the following programs to Allow in the Firewall: JRWorker.exe, JRWeb.exe, Media Center 21.exe, and JRSerice.exe found in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21". Maybe even "MC21.exe" found in the two Windows directories, "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64".

All that should fix interference from Norton. So then check the setup of mc2xml and see if it starts working.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try it.

robertoleiseka

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 05:41:22 pm »

Norton finds a virus in it, don't trust it. You should always download the external version from the original site: http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/ Norton will block some of the other sites that mc2xml can be found on.

I tried downloading the mc2xml file from the website mentioned, both from Server 1 & 2 (Windows X86). Norton scans it and found it to be not safe (high risk) and removes it. Is there something inside the file that Norton found to be unsafe? Sorry for the question, I am just not computer savvy.

I also went to Norton and check if there is a dialog box I can click for similar to File Insight, but there was none. I was able to find the Security History and read the note by Norton. It says that the file mc2xml.exe (executed automatically by JRiver) contains "WS.Reputation.1" that is a risk.

By the way, I am using the Norton Security Suite that comes with the Comcast ISP.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:51:33 pm »

Okay, all is good.

First, you don't need to go to that site if you are running the version of mc2xml that comes with MC. I only mentioned that in case you were using the external version. You are using the internal version.

Go back into your History where you found the note that says file mc2xml.exe (executed automatically by JRiver) contains "WS.Reputation.1" that is a risk. That "WS.Reputation.1" just means that mc2xml has earned a bad reputation. It doesn't contain any virus, so you can use it. The mc2xml program earned a bad reputation because there are a lot of other sites where you can download it, and many of them are very dodgy. Some of them even package up mc2xml with Adware, Malware, or even virus'. But the version that comes with MC is fine.

So, on the History page with that message, when you highlight the message there should be a link somewhere on the page that says "Restore". Click that link to restore mc2xml to the correct location on the hard disk. Norton may give you a further warning about the file, but just ignore it and continue. The EPG download in MC should then start to work again. If you don't see a Restore link, there may be an Options link. Clicking on that should then give you the option to Restore & Exclude the file from being scanned. Select that.

If you can't find a "Restore" or "Options" link that history page, perhaps because it happened too long ago, just install or reinstall the latest version of MC again, then run the Guide Load process. If Norton pops up a message about mc2xml, allow it. If no message pops up, once the Guide Load process has finished, or failed, go back into Norton and find the new message in the History, and restore mc2xml.

See how that goes.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

robertoleiseka

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:05:20 pm »

Okay, all is good.

First, you don't need to go to that site if you are running the version of mc2xml that comes with MC. I only mentioned that in case you were using the external version. You are using the internal version.

Go back into your History where you found the note that says file mc2xml.exe (executed automatically by JRiver) contains "WS.Reputation.1" that is a risk. That "WS.Reputation.1" just means that mc2xml has earned a bad reputation. It doesn't contain any virus, so you can use it. The mc2xml program earned a bad reputation because there are a lot of other sites where you can download it, and many of them are very dodgy. Some of them even package up mc2xml with Adware, Malware, or even virus'. But the version that comes with MC is fine.

So, on the History page with that message, when you highlight the message there should be a link somewhere on the page that says "Restore". Click that link to restore mc2xml to the correct location on the hard disk. Norton may give you a further warning about the file, but just ignore it and continue. The EPG download in MC should then start to work again. If you don't see a Restore link, there may be an Options link. Clicking on that should then give you the option to Restore & Exclude the file from being scanned. Select that.

If you can't find a "Restore" or "Options" link that history page, perhaps because it happened too long ago, just install or reinstall the latest version of MC again, then run the Guide Load process. If Norton pops up a message about mc2xml, allow it. If no message pops up, once the Guide Load process has finished, or failed, go back into Norton and find the new message in the History, and restore mc2xml.

See how that goes.

Thank you very, very much. The procedure you described worked!

It took me a while to find the "Exclude Program" since it was buried in the deeper level. I did not find the "Restore" option though. Anyway it is not that important since it is working now.

On another matter, prior to making the mc2xml.exe working, I mistakenly clean up the existing television guide data (Television>Setup>Cleanup existing television guide data) thinking it will clear the programming guide. Little did I know that it also cleared the listing of television recordings I made previously. Now when I clicked "Recordings", the dialog box is empty. I checked the folder where I have my previous recording was stored and it is still there (C:\Video\JRiver\TV Recording\). The dialog box is not reading these recorded files. I also check the setting for the folder location (TV Options>General) and it is correct. How do I make MC to read these files again?

Thanks for all the help! :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:54:23 pm »

I would expect the "Options>Television>Setup>Cleanup existing television guide data" to just clean up the Guide data as well.

I assume that what you are saying is that it cleared out the list shown under the left navigation bar>Television>Recordings? If that is the case, what MC has done is just remove its history of what recordings have been made in the past. MC uses that history to check whether a program has been recorded previously, in deciding whether to record it again, using the "Do not record programs that have been recorded in the past" checkbox in the recording rules. At least that is what I believe it does. So it isn't a disaster to clear that out. It just means that you may get some repeat recordings in future if you use that function in recording rules.

As you have noted, your actual recordings have not been removed. You should be able to find them if you look in Standard View at the left navigation bar>Video>Shows. Or Video>Movies if the recordings were movies. Note that for them to show up in those views, the [Media Sub Type] tag on the recordings needs to be correctly set to "TV Show" or "Movie" respectively. You can sort that view by date imported to find recent programs, or you can use the search field in the top right corner of Standard View to search for any word in any of the tags associated with the recordings.

If you can't find the programs in there, in Standard View, under Playlist in the left navigation bar, there is a playlist called "Recently Imported". That will show you the most recently impotrted recordings. There are more similar Smartlists available in the Smartlist section, such as "Image & Video -- Imported this week".

Then in Theatre View you can navigate into Video>Shows>Recent and all recently imported recordings will be listed by reverse date.

The best way to just clear out the Guide Data is to go into "Options>Television>Load program guide" and then tick the box marked "Clear program guide" at the top. All the settings below that flag will then grey out as they have become unavailable, and if you click OK just the Guide Data will be cleared. I have run that quite a few times and I still have records going back two and a half years in the Standard View left navigation bar>Television>Recordings, which was when I first used MC. I've never run the "Cleanup existing television guide data" function.

brett

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:59 pm »

I just had the same problem with Windows 10 - Windows Defender flagging mc2xlm.exe as malware because it contained a Trojan and deleting it. Repeatedly.  I checked the MD5SUM and it matches, so it must be some sort of false positive in the latest rounds of virus definitions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up