INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MTP support be added to MC?  (Read 3357 times)

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
Can MTP support be added to MC?
« on: February 29, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »

Ever since build 11082 of Windows 10 JRiver Media Center has not been able to see my MTP devices for synchronization. The operating system will present the devices in File Explorer and I can copy/remove files there, but applications which seem to rely on the OS presenting MTP devices as a mounted virtual file system no longer see the MTP device.  I have been able to confirm this on 2 pcs.

I recently installed the Sony Media Go software as I read that I had built-in MTP support and viola! it can see and sync with my MTP devices.  I am not sure if this is a deprecated feature in Windows 10 post build 10586 or if this is a bug- but the fact that software with built in MTP support works fine leads me to ask about it being added directly to MC. I can't use any of MC's excellent syncing features until this is resolved.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can MTP support be added to MC?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:15 am »

Are you referencing an Android device? If so, there have been changes recently to the default USB transfer mode that an Android device will enter. I think this was done to minimize the risk of public charging stations stealing people's data. I know for sure that the 'feature' is present in Marshmallow, but I'm uncertain if it is also in LP. After plugging in the device you will need to manually select MTP transfer mode from the notification bar drop-down.

If that is not the culprit, you will need to be sure that the OS is actually using the MTP driver and not a mass storage driver by locating the device in the Device Manager.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:52 am »

Thanks for your reply!

I see this on two devices, a Windows Phone and an Astell&Kern ak120ii media player (which is Android based). The OS is definitely using the MTP driver (also, if it was using a mass storage connection I should be able to see the devices from anywhere). The problem seems to be the OS, for some reason, is no longer presenting MTP devices to anything other than File Explorer.  The Sony Media Go software sees both the Windows Phone and AK120 and indicates both are connected in MTP mode. The Sony software sees the devices presumable because it has built in MTP support.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 03:17:21 am »

Have you tried installing the Media Features Pack

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229

Saw this on a few other sites and they claim it cures the issues.

Worth a try,

John

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:45:17 am »

The Windows Media Feature Pack is only for N/KN editions of Windows- Home and Pro (I run pro) have those features built in.  That said, in a moment of desperation I did try it with no luck.  The OS recognizes the devices as MTP devices and lets me copy stuff to them via File Explorer, it is just no longer carrying the MTP load for other apps. If an app supports MTP directly, it can see and sync to the devices.

I know this is an issue of the OS no longer presenting MTP to other apps as I was able to replicate the problem on another machine. The PC was running build 10586 and MC was able to see and sync to MTP devices- I updated the PC to build 11082 (and all builds since) and MC was no longer able to even see MTP devices.  Others in the Windows Preview program have also reported this as a bug.

What I am hoping for, it not having to rely on the OS to share MTP devices with applications, as I know applications with built in MTP support still work just fine.  If I sound desperate, I am. I have long been someone who runs preview builds of Windows and know the risks and can usually weather the storm- but this particular problem is very annoying as syncing music to devices is something I do a lot.

I think that it likely that the intersection of people who sync music to their phones/devices (vs. stream from Spotify et. al) and Windows Insider members represents a small number of people. But if this bug (or possible feature deprecation) makes it to public release it's likely a lot more people will be vocal about it.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 10:50:42 am »

FYI for anyone who cares- after some pushing in sensitive places I was able to confirm that Microsoft is aware of this bug and it is on the list to be fixed in a future build of Win10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up