INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install fails  (Read 6811 times)

Melbro

• Recent member
Install fails
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:01:39 pm »

Guys, please help. I tried upgrading to 210050 by pushing the upgrade button. It stopped with the green bar partway done. For two hours I've cleared cleaned and restarted so many times and involved Revo Uninstaller to find the last vestige of JRiver 21 but even from a clean sheet it fails to load. I have two other pcs running this program and the upgrade just loaded no probs. I have had this issue before on this PC but usually its resolved by uninstalling and reloading anew.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers vm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Install fails [Solved]
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:51:24 pm »

Antivirus or similar?

Disk full?

Melbro

• Recent member
Re: Install fails
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:27:15 pm »

I will split this to a new thread.

Antivirus or similar?

Disk full?

Nope: All running fine as 210049 ?? Program disk C: is SSD 125Gb running at 60% of capacity, data is held elsewhere, anti-virus is W.10 Defender and Malwarebytes which are as before. MC21 used yesterday and was brilliant as ever. The other two pc's hesitate at the same 37% in extracting the download and then process very quickly at the get go to load perfectly. All three are set up almost as clones; same software, all cloud / NAS connected so files are same round the house. All very weird, but its just the one that plays up, pity it's the main one that's hi-fi attached!?!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:31:36 pm »

Antivirus software might be fine with one version and not with another.  Uninstall to test.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »

One possibility is that you just got a bad download. Try re-downloading the installer.

If not that, this can be an indication of two possible conditions, neither good:

* Disk errors (possibly a write failure)
* Math problems in the CPU (which prevents the installer from extracting the files from the archive correctly)

It isn't always that, but usually when I see stalls mid-installer (not just MC, any installer) it is a sign of more serious issues on the PC. Hopefully software issues and not hardware ones.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:02 pm »

Antivirus software might be fine with one version and not with another.  Uninstall to test.

It might be worth trying with MalwareBytes uninstalled if you're using the "premium" edition that monitors in the background (it installs a 30-day trial of this mode by default if you just install the regular trial and don't pay attention to the installer).

But, if you're using only the freebie, not-always-resident-in-background MalwareBytes (and Windows Defender), then it isn't likely to be anti-virus.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 06:53:02 pm »

But, if you're using only the freebie, not-always-resident-in-background MalwareBytes, then it isn't likely to be anti-virus.
There is only one way to be sure.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:07 pm »

There is only one way to be sure.

Yeah, but you can't uninstall Windows Defender. If you aren't 100% sure MalwareBytes is in "on demand only" mode, then yeah, I'd uninstall it to be sure.

I did take pause at some of the comments from the OP:

For two hours I've cleared cleaned and restarted so many times

This sounds like it could be a registry cleaner or some other nonsense. Using registry cleaners and other automated "fix it" tools is often a Very Bad Thing. Some can be used safely (like CCleaner if you don't mess with the Registry tab), but many of them are junk or malware.

Also, he mentioned Revo Uninstaller. I've never heard of this breaking an installer before, but Revo Uninstaller does break existing installations of MC. Uninstaller tools (and that's an okay one) are occasionally useful for uninstallers that do a terrible job, but it isn't needed for MC at all. It will certainly cause more trouble than it prevents.

Melbro

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:10:15 am »

Guys, thanks for your time. Still having issues with installer and have downloaded yesterday's 210058 to no avail.

New message found by using Windows search - Critical error    C:\Windows\System32\MC21.exe has reported the following error: Failed to load JRTools. Please re-install the latest version.

Whenever I try to I get a JRiver message that the program is running in the background so I restart, kill off the parts that have loaded into Program X86 and under Appdata and start afresh. Must be 20 times now and everytime it fails at the same point whether choosing express or custom install.

Thanks

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:29:34 am »

Had previous version 21.0.54 which worked just fine, but when installing 21.0.58 in Express mode, installer hangs in "registering plug ins" and it just stays in there. Waited 10 minutes and no progress. Tried to re install 21.0.54 but no success, same thing. Rebooted and uninstalled Media center and re installed 21.0.54 and everything went fine. Thank gods for library backup  ;)

I have just one third party vst plug-in.

Windows 8.1

Melbro

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:48:33 am »

Having time on my hands....I looked at the 'fails to load JRTools' heading....I'm obviously not alone. I have no services running in the name of JRiver currently, in fact the only one listed is the JR20 (stopped) which when clicked responds with cannot locate the file.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »

i have experienced this issue from time to time when i update.
my security app is avira antivirus free. it detects some files as suspicious files during the installation process.
some extracted files of the newest 58 was also detected as suspicious files, but i successfully updated spending much minutes then usual.
so try to deactivate your security apps temporarily and reinstall.

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »

my security app is avira antivirus free. it detects some files as suspicious files during the installation process.
some extracted files of the newest 58 was also detected as suspicious files, but i successfully updated spending much minutes then usual.

Thanks for the tip, will try tomorrow again. I have Avast antivirus free.

Melbro

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:12:42 pm »

Thanks, all tried with no effect. Installation stalls whatever. I've left it an hour and it's frozen at the point it first stopped. I've switched / taken off Defender, Malwarebytes, all USB connected hardware bar the mouse and keyboard. All the time there's the sensing that something is already running to prevent it loading but I can't find it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:01 pm »

Having time on my hands....I looked at the 'fails to load JRTools' heading....I'm obviously not alone.

That is, unfortunately, a fairly generic error that can have many (unrelated) causes. JRTools wouldn't show on the normal applications tab of Task Manager. It is a sub-process of MC itself, and would only show on the Processes tab.  But, that would typically be completely solved by rebooting.

I strongly suspect you have other issues on that machine.  Have you tried?

* Rebooting?
* Running CheckDisk on your system drive?
* Running the System File Checker in Windows?

And, yes, uninstalling MalwareBytes just to rule it in or out as a potential cause. Note that disabling many Anti-Virus and Security suites often does not work (they don't fully disable themselves). Windows Defender is fine, but with any 3rd Party application the only way to be sure it isn't involved is to uninstall it completely, reboot, and try again.

Melbro

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 03:21:49 pm »

Cheers each. sfc/ SCANNOW found errors beyond me so I'll pass it on to my computer man and let it rest as unfixed for now. On holiday next week so won't be using it anyway. Thanks guys.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 06:30:08 pm »

Cheers each. sfc/ SCANNOW found errors beyond me so I'll pass it on to my computer man and let it rest as unfixed for now. On holiday next week so won't be using it anyway. Thanks guys.

Bummer.

For the record, in almost all cases, if the System File Checker's automated "fixing" routines can't correct the issues (and, frankly, even sometimes when it says it can) the best solution is to nuke the system and reinstall Windows from scratch.

If SFC finds errors it means, basically, that something has corrupted or altered (in an illegitimate way) the operating system's files on the computer. That's not good at all. And, worse, if it corrupted or altered the OS's files (which are heavily protected) there's a decent chance it also corrupted some of your files, but there's no way to test for that (with currently prevalent filesystems, anyway). The issue could have been caused by many things, but probably the most common are:

* Malware infections.
* An install of a system patch or upgrade gone horribly awry.
* Hardware failure (RAM or disk, most likely, though it can really be a huge pile of things)

Melbro

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 12:43:11 pm »

Hello Gents,

As a stop-gap I've reset W.10. Close on 50 programs have gone, Chrome, Office 365, VinylStudio and the like but they are on my downloads file in the cloud so no worries.

The SCANNOW revealed there were still file errors after the reset so a format is coming, but so is a holiday - the format will wait. Out of curiosity I retried MC210058 and it loaded in seconds! Would you believe it?

Anyways, thanks for your help, much appreciated. I have a DSD dac to install on my return so we should have some fun with that next :-)

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 01:29:20 pm »

Yes indeed it was the antivirus software (avast free) that was stalling the install. I stopped avast temporarily and installation went well :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up