INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total Album count in theater view?  (Read 4127 times)

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
Total Album count in theater view?
« on: March 28, 2016, 05:03:27 pm »

Hello, Is There a way to see the total album count in theater view? The only way i can find at all is in pane view (all albums). But i almost exclusively use theater view, and it would be nice to show guests/friends the answer/total (almost everyone asks), without having to exit theater view then return to theater view. Seems like it would be somewhere but i can't seem to find it.

- Thanks Tom

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Total Album count in theater view?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:03:55 am »

Create a view that's an expression in Options > Theater View.

Group by:
[Album]

Display:
[Album, 1] (GroupCount())

That will show a view of albums with the count of the number of files in each album next to the album name.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:53 am »

And to make a view that shows the number of albums, make another expression view.

Group by:
[Artist]

Show:
[Artist, 1] - GroupCount(Album)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:30:40 am »

Matt, I believe the OP is looking for a count of All of his albums, across all artists.  To answer questions like "Wow dude, this is awesome!  How many albums *do* you have in this thing?  How many songs?"

These are easy to answer in Standard View with a Panes view because the Panes show totals at the top for each Pane category.

I have almost zero experience with Theater View, so I'm not sure how to approach the problem.  (and I can't play with it because I'm on a Mac).

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:42:50 am »

Matt, I believe the OP is looking for a count of All of his albums, across all artists.  To answer questions like "Wow dude, this is awesome!  How many albums *do* you have in this thing?  How many songs?"

Well you could create an "All Albums" view like this:

Group by:
[Media Type]

Display:
Total Albums: GroupCount(Album)

Then I added an Album library field below that so it shows "Total Albums: 415" for me and then when I enter it shows the albums.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:11:18 am »

Is this "All Album" view a TRUE album count or does it dismiss cd 2 and so forth, so in actuality one is not getting a TRUE ALBUM count?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:49:45 am »

Is this "All Album" view a TRUE album count or does it dismiss cd 2 and so forth, so in actuality one is not getting a TRUE ALBUM count?

It will count the number of values in the album field.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:31 pm »

Blgentry, you are correct (except for the "dude" part). And Matt great suggestions! I am unfamiliar with creating expression views but will do some research/experimenting and let you know how it goes.

Thanks to both of you for your time and help,
Tom 

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »

Doesn’t the option - Display ‘All’ as a choice” do this?

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 01:10:53 pm »

Doesn’t the option - Display ‘All’ as a choice” do this?

I "think" I've looked at every option/button (in theater view & theater options) and can not find "Display All" .... still looking. I think i need more of a step by step to understand how to....

- Tom

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 02:18:54 pm »

I "think" I've looked at every option/button (in theater view & theater options) and can not find "Display All" .... still looking. I think i need more of a step by step to understand how to....

- Tom
Display all is a an option of the View itself (only in Theater Views) ..; not sure what that has to do with the expression counting albums though?

what do mean by true? For me a multi-cd set is one album. If you have your album split by cd number in the name (ALBUMX CD1 & ALBUMX CD2, instead of just ALBUMX for both) it would count as 2 it looks like. If the Album tag is correct (multiple disks, same album name) the count should be correct.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 03:05:03 pm »

what do mean by true? For me a multi-cd set is one album. If you have your album split by cd number in the name (ALBUMX CD1 & ALBUMX CD2, instead of just ALBUMX for both) it would count as 2 it looks like. If the Album tag is correct (multiple disks, same album name) the count should be correct.

this was me back in 2013 and MC18 (the link)   I came to MC from WMP on W7  WMP still had my entire cd collection loaded, I noticed the count was much (I'm talking thousands) lower in MC. A Kind and very wise man know as MR.C helped me with this. After doing this the cd count matched WMP. I am still amazed that this has never come up since!

I use MC with tabs...first tab is called CD Count (thanks to MR.C) then  Panes, and some other tabs. If I look at CD Count and then at Panes I get a different count. Off by thousands. In the end what I wanted was the Actual CD Count. CD1 and CD2 for me is two cd's not one. A Box Set of 10 cd's all named the same should count as 10 (for me)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79445.0

I guess in the end I'm still counting physical cd's
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 03:40:07 am »

@Tao ... well if you are tagging the album name separately, the new expression should still work for you (confirm devs?).

When I rip the album  the different cds are indicated in this tag. I select them all and retag, using the "correct" (in my sense) name and all tracks are then grouped together. I don't see the logic of counting the physical cds myself, but hey whatever works for you of course  :)

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 08:16:37 am »

- Tom

I believe the option - Display 'All' as a choice - gives you an album count based on album name. At least in the views I've created in Theater View it appears to do so.

Here's a view of a stock install showing the option selected...

http://pix01.com/nC1%40MXVs

If you require greater detail, then the expressions referenced by others in this post would appear to be the way to go.

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 12:06:34 pm »

I believe the option - Display 'All' as a choice - gives you an album count based on album name. At least in the views I've created in Theater View it appears to do so.
yep that will work for any field, you are right. I usually use this option when there are multiple sublevels ... if you click on the display all icon it will open the bottom most category. (eg if you have lots of styles under a genre you can display all artists regardless of style that fall under the genre.) If you have only one category in the view then it will display a count of whatever is on that "level", like the photo Apostos posted. If you have more than one category it will count what ever is on that "filtered" level. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up