INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cover art saved in wrong location  (Read 8805 times)

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
cover art saved in wrong location
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:55:01 pm »

On tool > options > file location > cover art, the external location for saving cover art is set as 'C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\cover art\' by default.
but actually cover arts are saved on 'C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp' whenever i try with the option 'save cover art to external location specified in options'.

mc21's version is the newest 66. is this a bug?
and as nothing happens after successful saving, i hope a popup window notifying saving without problem like 'cover art saved'.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: cover art saved in wrong location
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:52:48 pm »

Of course that setting only applies to Audio files, so I assume that is what you are adding Cover Art to. You need to also have the setting "Options>File Location>Cover Art>Audio mode" set to "In a specified folder". The Cover Art will then be saved in the "Albums" sub-directory of the specified folder.

Cover Art for Video files are always stored next to the media file.

I just tested changing the Cover Art for a couple of albums using the "Cover Art>Get from internet" function, with Cover Art set to save to a specific directory. It worked fine for two albums. MC didn't put anything in the Temp directory it has assigned.

There is no popup to say that Cover Art has been saved, but the activity is reported in the Status Bar at the bottom of the MC window. It happens pretty quick for just a few files though, so you may not see much, but it does say "Done saving tag changes" when it is finished.

I'm using MC21.0.68.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:28:31 pm »

Of course that setting only applies to Audio files, so I assume that is what you are adding Cover Art to. You need to also have the setting "Options>File Location>Cover Art>Audio mode" set to "In a specified folder". The Cover Art will then be saved in the "Albums" sub-directory of the specified folder.
i have already checked it on "In a specified folder", but no cover art goes into the sub-folder.

i tested more after changing saving folder to D:\. artists/albums/video just three new folders are made in d:\.
but the result is the same. saved cover arts always go into C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp regardless of folder change.

and saved cover arts are deleted automatically from the temp folder if i close mc21.
i re-tested running mc21 with 'run as admin' as the reason that mc21 cannot write files in certain folders could be related with 'folder permissions' but also failed.

i never have a clue what i should do more to save cover arts without problem.
if this is really a bug, i hope this is fixed on coming update.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »

You are working on the computer setup as the MC "server", not a "client" right?

Maybe there is a folder permission issue. Do you log in to the computer with the same name/password as you used when you installed MC?

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:27:58 pm »

You are working on the computer setup as the MC "server", not a "client" right?
i'm just using mc21 on a stand-alone pc on windows7 pro x64. there is no network system like nas.
i'm now even simply playing music with mc without any eternal device like dac and amp.
i tried tests many times considering the folder permissions issue.
if it is because of the permissions issue, no cover art files should have written even in the temp folder.

Maybe there is a folder permission issue. Do you log in to the computer with the same name/password as you used when you installed MC?
yes, i always login with the same windows user account(admin) that i installed mc. i have just only one user on my windows.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 03:37:17 pm »

Sorry, I have not seen this problem before.
What happens if you are in Standard View and go to Video>Files and then select one of you movies (right click on it) and go to Cover Art>Save Cover Art to External Location Specified in Options"? Does that put the cover art in the correct place?

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:52:44 pm »

Sorry, I have not seen this problem before.
What happens if you are in Standard View and go to Video>Files and then select one of you movies (right click on it) and go to Cover Art>Save Cover Art to External Location Specified in Options"? Does that put the cover art in the correct place?
no, 'Thumbnails' fold is created in C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp and a jpg clip art file made. video clip art files also go into incorrect location.
and both the thumbnails folder and all files in it are removed if i close and re-run mc21.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »

Unless someone has a better idea - I would do a backup of the Library, then uninstall and reinstall (but right click on the "MediaCenter210066.exe" file and chose "run as administrator" on the reinstall).

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 05:03:40 pm »

i don't need to backup cover arts of my files because every cover art is inside each music file. i just found this issue by accident in the process of getting out some cover arts from files tag.
AND!!
i strongly hope deleted files by 'file location >  cover art > clean folder' should be moved to 'recycle bin' instead of complete cleanup.
sadly enough, i forever lost my precious private files during this test. :(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 07:17:58 pm »

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. Yes, I think you found a bug.

First, running the Cover Art Clean-up should only delete certain files. See the Wiki for details: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art#Cleaning_the_Cover_Art_Folder

If you ran it and it deleted lots of files, it would have been because they were not referenced in your MC library. Where did it delete them from? Because where it deleted them from should be where you have your Cover Art folder setting pointing to. I think you are correct that Cover Art deleted by the clean-up is completely deleted, and not put into the Recycle Bin. Actually I just tested that, and yes, the files are completely deleted, and therefore lost unless you had a backup. That is bad that you lost private images.  :(

i don't need to backup cover arts of my files because every cover art is inside each music file. i just found this issue by accident in the process of getting out some cover arts form files as jpg.

This prompted me to re-read your previous posts, and now I understand what you were trying to do, and I think you found a bug. Sorry I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were trying to add Cover Art to some audio files, and I didn't see any problem when I was adding Cover Art to audio files using the "Get from internet" function.

So let me summarise what I think I know.
0. You are running a stand alone version of MC on one PC, with a local library and local media files.
1. You are only looking at audio files.
2. You have Cover Art inside all your audio files.
3. You tried to get Cover Art saved as files to the external Cover Art directory by running the right click "Cover Art>Save Cover Art to External Location Specified in Options".
4. No Cover Art is saved in the specified external Cover Art directory, which is "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\cover art\" by default. No Cover Art is saved in its sub-directories either.
5. The Cover Art files are visible in the MC temporary directory, or sub-directories of it, which is "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp" by default. (Note in my testing the files was saved in a "J River" sub-directory of the "Temp" directory.)
6. When you close MC, the files stay in the Temp directory, but when you reopen MC the files in the Temp directory are deleted.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 05:02:25 am »

6. When you close MC, the files in the Temp directory are deleted.
what you summarized above are all correct except for no.6.
cover arts stay in the temp folder until mc21 is closed, and they are all removed automatically right after i re-run mc21.

fully understanding all of my experiences, you may go for it to fix this bug.
although i cannot totally hide my sadness of having lost some of my private data during tests, i hope you kindly resolve it soon.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 08:04:48 pm »

I don't actually work for JRiver, so I can't fix the issue. But I have reported it as a bug in the MC21.0.66 release thread, so it should get looked into by the developers.

Losing some of your private data is a bad thing. MC should only have deleted images in the Cover Art folder though, and not anywhere else. So I assume that you had downloaded or scanned Cover Art images, and perhaps you can get them back again from the original source? Of course, this is why backups of all PC data are required, rather than just nice to have. Maybe you should look at adding some backup capability to your PC.

I'll edit my post point 6 so we agree on what happens.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 07:51:55 am »

Losing some of your private data is a bad thing. MC should only have deleted images in the Cover Art folder though, and not anywhere else.
you misknow. i re-tested and made sure of the fact that if i execute 'clean cover art folder', all kinds of files in it are deleted except its sub-folders.
if the execution should have removed only jpg files, this must be another bug. :(

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 08:10:17 am »

On tool > options > file location > cover art, the external location for saving cover art is set as 'C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\cover art\' by default.
but actually cover arts are saved on 'C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp' whenever i try with the option 'save cover art to external location specified in options'.

I really don't want to butt in but maybe there is a language problem here. I saw your other posts

what I don't understand is that this is deleting a lot of files it shouldn't have ... like your personal ones? C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp' is being used as the default and not what the options say which is  'C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\cover art\'?

How (or maybe why) did your images get in this directory which is not so accessible. Even after this bug you guys found is fixed, I'm not sure I follow .. is this something to do with slide shows or LASTFM type art that was put there rather than in the Album or movie folders themselves?

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 02:51:58 pm »

sorry, my poor english and uncoherent descriptions made people kinda confused.
let me make the final summary about things till now. i bet and hope this is the simplest outline to understand.

- each of my music files has a cover art inside themselves(i put it with MP3TAG.), and i tried to get it out to save by right-clicking on a music in a playlist to open menu and choosing 'cover art>save cover art to external location specified in options'.
- cover arts should have saved in C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art, but they are saved in wrong location(C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp).
- for test, i changed the cover art location to another folder(d:\) and tried again, but cover arts are still created in C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Temp.
- i found out that cover arts are made in wrong location regardless of the setting of tools>options>file location>cover art:[folder location]. (of course, i also have  already set this, tools>options>file location>cover art>audio mode:in a specified folder.)

# no developer has clearly replied to my post till now, but this seems to be a bug.

@ how are my private files deleted??
- when the cover art location is set to d:\ for test, i have run 'tools>options>file location>cover art>clean cover art folder'
- my private data were in d:\.
- as a result of running it, all files in d:\ except its sub-folders were unrecoverably deleted.
- this is why i suggested here(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104243.0) that all files in the cover art folder should not be permanently deleted and just moved to 'recycle bin' when users run 'clean cover art folder'.

@ why did i offer the suggestion for developers to make a popup come out when users change the cover art location??
- now, if users change the current cover art location to another, mc21 tries to move all files and folders to the changed location without a dialog window without users' permission.
- my original cover art location was mc21's default value(C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art) and for test i once changed it to d:\ which has tones of files and folders(about 20gb).
- when i change the cover art location from d:\, mc21 started to copy all in d:\(files, folders,all files in all sub-folders) to the new location. this caused app freezing.(the cover art location change would probably be done successfully if i keep waiting until all copy process is finished no matter how long hours it takes.)
- i could never change the cover art location from d:\ until rolling all settings back with a mc library backup file(MC Library Backup(Main Library - 2016-04-08).zip) by running 'file>library>restore library'.

in this reason above, i think a dialog window is required for asking whether users also want data transfer from the previous location to be moved right before mc21 performs changing cover art location.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 08:15:32 pm »

you misknow. i re-tested and made sure of the fact that if i execute 'clean cover art folder', all kinds of files in it are deleted except its sub-folders.
if the execution should have removed only jpg files, this must be another bug. :(

You are correct, I didn't know MC would try to delete all sorts of files. I expected it to try to delete all images file types, including JPG, PNG, etc. I did say MC should only have deleted images in the Cover Art folder though, and not what it actually did. I think JRiver should improve this function then, unless there is good reason for deleting other file types. I guess they have just made the clean-up clean up everything.

I really don't want to butt in but maybe there is a language problem here. I saw your other posts

No problem Arindelle. I thought whatwhat was doing pretty well with the language issue. Me, maybe not so much. I only speak Australian, which is a bit of a disadvantage!  ;D We did get to clarify the bug. We just didn't get to the bottom of why private files were deleted, and actually, I didn't want to go there, because...

- for test, i changed the cover art location to another folder(d:\)
- when the cover art location is set to d:\ for test, i have run 'tools>options>file location>cover art>clean cover art folder'

This is the sort of thing I thought may have happened, and obviously when a user understands that function, that is a bad thing to do. As above though, I didn't expect it to delete non-image files. But I did expect it to delete all image files. This is, I'm afraid, user error. There is a warning that pops up when you run Cover Art clean-up, and the dialogue shows which directory is going to be cleaned up, D:\ in this case. The dialogue should be improved though, if it is deleting more than Cover Art, as it currently says only that it will "clean up any cover art in the folder", which anyone would assume means images, not all files.

Really, Cover Art should be in its own sub-directory somewhere, with no other files or sub-directories, and then no private files would be deleted. Thank goodness the clean-up doesn't seem to have deleted all sub-directories of the D:\ drive, or the files in them, being all 20GB of data!  :o

Whatwhat, if you had just taken a little more time and created a directory such as "D:\Cover Art", then you wouldn't have lost any files.

- when i change the cover art location from d:\, mc21 started to copy all in d:\(files, folders,all files in all sub-folders) to the new location.

I suspected that MC did this, and even saw it do that when testing this issue, but didn't think through all the potentially disastrous consequences, if an error was made in setting the Cover Art directory.

Therefore I agree that this should be added to MC...
in this reason above, i think a dialog window is required for asking whether users also want data transfer from the previous location to be moved right before mc21 performs changing cover art location.

I haven't seen any response to my report of the bug in the MC21.0.66 Release thread, but I'm sure it has been seen by the developers, and the discussion above will also be seen.

Arindelle

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 04:19:25 am »

ah ha!  ok I get what actually happened now ... you guys look all sorted.  8)

Pages: [1]   Go Up