INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade tonight  (Read 5033 times)

Waynefi

• Recent member
Looking to upgrade tonight
« on: April 23, 2016, 05:17:10 pm »

Well version 20 worked fine with my McAfee anti virus which is expired. I run Norton 360 on our other machines.

This machine is a Windows 7 PC with only JRiver added and whatever else is needed for downloading Hi Rez files from Acoustic Sounds .

So as I load 21, I am wondering about anti virus programs like Norton. Since this PC is hooked to my network and used to download music or JRiver, should I have an anti virus program ? Are you running anti virus with 21 ?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

I don't run antivirus with anything!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Waynefi

• Recent member

You are luckier than me !

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Looking to upgrade tonight
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 08:40:59 pm »

glynor put together an excellent troubleshooting guide with comprehensive coverage of anti-virus / security software over on the Wiki (always worth checking what's on offer over there):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide#Check_Your_Anti-Virus_or_Security_Software
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Security_Software

I've applied its advice and am on Win 10 x64. No dramas at my place and everything plays nicely as far as I can tell.

Philosophically, my take on things is that the use of security software is a combination of the level of user caution cum paranoia, risky user behaviour and habit. Regarding the latter point, I also use MBAM Anti-Malware and screen downloaded executables with it as well as gaining coverage from my system's security software. I do this routinely along the same lines as brushing my teeth, so it's now a habit for me. Mostly it picks up PUPs that can be bundled with some software (especially if it's free). I find the warning provided as a good heads up to be extra careful when navigating the install process.

Each to their own but I'd rather run with security software on board because the pain and hassle of a slip up where something nasty gets through is a risk I'd rather not take. Makes me think of one of Billy Connolly's lines about the effectiveness of the Rhythm Method. His comment is that he is in fact very grateful for it, because without it he wouldn't have been born.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 09:23:25 pm »

I run the latest version of Norton 360 on my MC Server and MC Client.

Apart from a couple of minor issues when 360 has been upgraded and incorporated new technology that found new issues, which I then had to tell it were okay, I haven't had any problem. The issues were things like I had to tell the firewall MC21 was okay after upgrading from MC20, I think the WDM Driver needed some attention, and when I installed the Windows 10 compatible version of 360, which was a major upgrade. I am still on Windows 7 though as well. I just don't turn on silent mode, so I see the prompts from 360 to do something about what it thinks are firewall incursions, virus, or malware activities.

Basically, I can and do recommend Norton 360 as one of the better security suites these days. It works fine with MC.

The Five Device licence is a better deal than the individual licences as well, if you haven't upgraded to that yet. I can install it on Windows, Macs, some phones, etc., all on the one licence.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:28:46 pm »

As a futher thought, I've got Symantec Endpoint that is administered from the cloud. I had all sorts of grief with one machine after a recent major update as far as licence re-activation was concerned.

The machine involved was upgraded to Win 10. I bit the bullet and put it through a clean install and the issue has resolved.

Just a "one to watch" comment. Probably won't be an issue but RoderickGI's comment about upgrades prompted my memory.

EDIT:
By licence activation, I'm talking about the anti-virus licence NOT the licence for MC. There was no issue from the JRiver side of things.

I've always found Symantec to be very well behaved once a few cracks of the taming whip have been applied.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 01:20:11 am »

I know some people have problems with Symantec products, including Norton 360, which are only fixed by using their "uninstall absolutely every part of every Symantec product on the PC" utility, rebooting lots, and then reinstalling the product.

Did you try that Astromo? It may have helped. I am going to be doing a Windows 10 upgrade soon, and a clean installation then reinstall of everything is all but out of the question, so I'm hoping I can fix any such issues as this.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 02:04:11 am »

I know some people have problems with Symantec products, including Norton 360, which are only fixed by using their "uninstall absolutely every part of every Symantec product on the PC" utility, rebooting lots, and then reinstalling the product.

Did you try that Astromo? It may have helped. I am going to be doing a Windows 10 upgrade soon, and a clean installation then reinstall of everything is all but out of the question, so I'm hoping I can fix any such issues as this.

Yes .. multiple times with help from Symantec, as well. Clean install did it for me. In the case of the OP, I'd expect that Waynefi would be a fresh install of the AV product (whatever turns out), so shouldn't be an issue. Again, it's one of those, "one to watch" things.

Waynefi

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:09:05 am »

Thanks for the comments. I upgraded last night with the expired yet working McAfee in place. It loaded, I had a few things to figure out, reloaded my saved settings and all is fine.

Now I am going to get rid of McAfee and load Norton. We'll see how it goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up