INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art won't load  (Read 6079 times)

eljr

• World Citizen
Cover Art won't load
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:50:31 am »

This is on going although sporadic. I just cannot add artwork. In the past I had been able to delet the entire album and rip it anew and then add artwork via file. Now, even that does not work.
There has to be a way.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover Art won't load
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:13:41 am »

What steps are you taking?  What file types, etc.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 11:55:43 am »

Where are you storing your cover art? Do you also store the image in the file's tag?

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 12:34:52 pm »

What steps are you taking?  What file types, etc.

I take the same steps for all my albums.

98% of the time it works. (literally about 97-98%)

Because of this ongoing problem I always take the same pathway.

I find the art on line, generally from All Music, I save the photo in a folder. I then go to JRiver, cover art>add from a file

I no longer even use the add by link as that would fail more often than by file.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:39:21 pm »

You can right click on the thumbnail shown in the tag and paste it there.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 12:57:10 pm »

The thumbnail? Are you speaking of the music note? I try every variation from this right click.

the tag? what do you mean the tag?

For the first time I tried get art from the internet. It worked!  BUT! Once I move the cursor, it disappears.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 01:08:48 pm »

Where are you storing your cover art? Do you also store the image in the file's tag?

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art

what is a files tag?

I apply the cover art from a temporary folder I keep just for this in the cloud.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »

the cover art location will not accept art from anywhere....

As I said, in the past I'd have to delete the entire album and then rip anew. Then it would accept cover art from a file or link or clipboard.

Today, even that trick will not work for 2 albums.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 02:27:41 pm »

what is a files tag?

Music files like MP3s, FLACs, etc have "tags" inside of them that store information like Artist, Album, etc.  Some of these files can also have the cover art stored inside the file.  This is really nice because it means that the cover art can't get separated from the song itself.

I apply the cover art from a temporary folder I keep just for this in the cloud.

That's not what he was asking.  He's asking for where the cover art is stored *after* you apply it.  That's why he asked for you to look at:

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover art .

Specifically, what does it say next to Audio mode, and Folder ?

Adding files "from a folder in the cloud" isn't what I'd normally expect.  I'm not sure if that's related or not.  You could try a few other things like adding from a local file, or just adding from a web link.  I've added hundreds of covers to albums using web links and never had an issue so far.

What is happening when you try to add cover art?

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 05:05:21 pm »

Adding files "from a folder in the cloud" isn't what I'd normally expect.  I'm not sure if that's related or not.

I would give him a 99.8% chance that it is related.

For the first time I tried get art from the internet. It worked!  BUT! Once I move the cursor, it disappears.

That sounds like a Thumbnail is created from the Cover Art file, but the link to the original file is then lost, and so the thumbnail is deleted. The Cover Art file is never saved locally.

You could try a few other things like adding from a local file,

^^^^ Try this eljr, and let us know if it works.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 05:36:53 am »

I would give him a 99.8% chance that it is related.

Not sure how that could be the problem as I have tried all methods. This just seems to work with the most consistency.

As I said, all available methods are tried. All work most of the time. None work 3% of the time.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 05:56:29 am »

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover art .

AS I said, I prefer to place the artwork in the cloud as it is the method that has shown the most consistency for success. It's extra work. I'd love to avoid the extra work but consistency is more important to me.

Too your question:

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 06:01:11 am »

^^^^ Try this eljr, and let us know if it works.

and this is what I am doing, the local file is in the cloud.

All my files, business and personal are. NEVER an issues.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 06:41:34 am »

Too your question:

I think it is rather ironic, given the nature of this thread, that the image you posted above is not visible to us. It may be visible to you, but it isn't to us, as we are not logged in to the site the image is hosted on. That is one of the issues with using the cloud to host Cover Art images; you have to have access at all times.

and this is what I am doing, the local file is in the cloud.

A local file is not a file in the cloud, because, well, it is in the cloud, and not on a local hard disk drive, or a network drive in your local network. It is only available over the internet.

This;
As I said, all available methods are tried. All work most of the time. None work 3% of the time.
then this;

You say this doesn't work 3% of the time, and then claim you never have any issues with the cloud. You are having an issue with the cloud in regard to this problem!

Don't you understand that during the 3% of the time that the methods don't work, and none of them work, is because MC doesn't have access to the Cover Art image files which you have stored in the cloud? That is, if you are doing exactly what you are saying, and storing your Cover Art as images in a cloud service, accessed via the internet. Perhaps you aren't logged in to your cloud service when it doesn't work, or the service is just unavailable.

AS I said, I prefer to place the artwork in the cloud as it is the method that has shown the most consistency for success.

The most consistent and reliable method of storing and using Cover Art with audio files is to store them inside the audio file, in what is known as a "tag". Tags in audio and other files also store other metadata about the file; Artist, Album, Dates, Track name, etc.

Also, never ever delete an entire album and rip it anew just to add artwork via file. That is completely unnecessary and just a huge waste of time. The Cover Art issue can be fixed without doing that. Don't do it any more.

But enough of that. If you are willing to listen, and answer questions properly when asked, then we will be able to solve the problem. Over to you.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up