INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mistranslations in German version  (Read 3023 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Mistranslations in German version
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:17:08 pm »

Strangely, the following German mistranslations - found through all MC versions I've used so far - were never discovered or corrected to date:
(N.B. -- as no dedicated subforum for language related issues seems to exist, let me suggest to create one! ;-)

1. Under "Options > General" the item "Interface" was mistranslated as "Schnittstelle"; the correct German word to use here is "Oberfläche". (A common mistake since the English word denotes two very different things in German, one is visible to humans, the other to machines only... ;-)

2. Under "Options" the topmost navigation item "Audio" is mistranslated as "Musik"; the correct German word here would be "Wiedergabe" (or "Audio" as well), because the page has many general playback settings pertaining to video as well (but are not listed there, eg. "Title change, Cue, Skip, Stop" etc).
The best solution though -- move all these and other related setting to a new "Playback" (= German "Wiedergabe") navigation item in the Options window!

3. When connecting to another MC library server (in client mode), the status message word "access key" was mistranslated as "Zugriffstaste"; the correct word here is "Zugriffsschlüssel" (refering to the default string "Pajsrv" being checked for access, not a keyboard button as the translation suggests ;-).

Please consider this a free contribution by a regular MC user! (If you at JRiver are interested though, feel free to contact me for regular translation and/or proofing services. Being a professional English / German linguist, translator & editor, I have plenty of experience in software localization! ;-)

Best regards,
A.
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Mistranslations in German version
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:34:50 am »

If you'd like to edit the German Language.txt file that would be great!

Just submit any revisions to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:56:38 am »

The language file is found at
C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Data\Languages\German

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:11:37 am »

Thanks to you both! I had no idea there was a user editable language file (nor where to find it ;-)...

I'll have a go and submit result by email.

Regards, A.
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 02:37:08 pm »

If you'd like to edit the German Language.txt file that would be great!
Just submit any revisions to matt at jriver dot com.

If I have questions on the language file, can I add them here? Anyway, please note this example:

The term "Audio" (current German translation "Musik") can appear in different contexts in the software interface, but appears only once in the language file (because it's always a noun ;-).
For German, these different contexts may require different translations, which the existing structure does not support...

So, to enable correct translations for either context, there are various choices:
- Leave this page as "Audio" (same term also works in German), and move all general playback related items from "Options > Audio" to a new "Options > Playback" page.
- Create a new language item "Playback" to the existing "Options > Audio" page, in order to distinguish it from "Musik".
- (unknown ;-)

Regards, A.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 05:34:30 pm »

The following German mistranslations were found through all MC versions:

1. Under "Options > General" the item "Interface" was mistranslated as "Schnittstelle"; the correct German word to use here is "Oberfläche". (A common mistake since the English word denotes two very different things in German, one is visible to humans, the other to machines only... ;-)

2. Under "Options" the topmost navigation item "Audio" is mistranslated as "Musik"; the correct German word here would be "Wiedergabe" (or "Audio" as well), because the page has many general playback settings pertaining to video as well (but are not listed there, eg. "Title change, Cue, Skip, Stop" etc).

3. When connecting to another MC library server (in client mode), the status message word "access key" was mistranslated as "Zugriffstaste"; the correct word here is "Zugriffsschlüssel" (refering to the default string "Pajsrv" being checked for access, not a keyboard button as the translation suggests ;-).

>> A note to German users <<

Liebe deutsche Benutzer von Media Center!

Im Forum für deutsche Benutzer steht eine aktualisierte Sprachversion für die MC-Benutzeroberfläche zur Verfügung. Diese Version enthält zahlreiche Korrekturen (Rechtschreibung, Zeichensetzung, Grammatik, Terminologie usw.) sowie optimierte Formulierungen zur besseren Verständlichkeit des Programms und seiner Funktionen.

Vielen Dank für die Teilnahme!
Pages: [1]   Go Up