INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to play very short tracks using JRiver as DNLA server and control point  (Read 4991 times)

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck

I've hit a problem playing very short tracks when using JRiver as DNLA server and control point with a Naim SuperUniti as renderer.  For tracks less than about 20 seconds duration, the track plays briefly, pauses then jumps back to the beginning - sometimes more than once.  One section of the Dunedin's Consort Bach John Passion album on Linn has consecutive tracks with lengths 0:10, 0:32, 0:09, 0:21 (who knows why?) which cause playback to jump all over the place.  

I've only come across two albums with very short track lengths (both gapless) but both exhibit the same symptoms.  Both play fine using a zone connected to my MacBook Pro's optical out, and when using the Naim app with MC as a UPnP server.  Pause also works correctly with the optical out and Naim app.

I wonder if this relates to the longstanding issue highlighted in this post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105264.0. The minimum track length to avoid jumping is about the same as the time taken for MC to settle down after a track change.  Could it also relate to the issue where a track jumps back to the beginning after pausing?

The JRemote / JRiver combination is so much better than using the Naim app that I've learned to put up with the pause problem and the delays in updating after track changes.  But this latest issue is a bit of a show stopper.

I'm using Media Centre 21.0.83 and have tried various permutations of Ignore Transport Events and Disable SetNext Support.

Can anyone help please?

krmasson

• World Citizen

I am afraid that the Naim SuperUniti, when used as DLNA renderer, is just broken. I have tried *many* DLNA softwares, pushing music to the Naim, and it has never worked correctly, some times playing tracks twice, sometimes just stopping. And I have got somewhere on the Naim forum (do not remember the exact topic) confirmation that the Uniti behaves not so well when pushing music to it.

I eventually got what seems to be THE ultimate solution for me: BubbleUPnP Server running on the server, and Bubble DS on the (Android) control point. BubbleUPnP server (runs under Windows/MacOS/Linux) implements a standard called OpenHome, which seems to be built over DLNA, and to fix some of it flaws. It runs in association with/over a DLNA server (JRiver MC fits perfectly).

As control point (seems that there are not so many implementations), I use BubbleDS under Android. BubbleDS has an interface that is very similar to Bubble UPnP.

All the stuff is working perfectly for me for more that one year now. After I have struggled during two years to get the combination MC/Naim to work, this is just magic. Last but not least, once the playback has begun, on can put the control point (the Android tablet) onto sleep: no need to keep it awake.

The server is free of charge, and the Android App has an evaluation version limited to 16 tracks in the playlist. But the paid version is definitively worth the money!

Hope this helps.
CM

P.-S. The Naim Unity works perfectly when one browses the server's music directly from the device (or through the Naim app), but the app's UI is clearly not as convenient as BubbleDS's one.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've hit a problem playing very short tracks when using JRiver as DNLA server ..

It may be a bug in the renderer or in MC, but it may also be an unsurpassable limitation of the UPnP AVTransport architecture.

Basically the UPnP command sequence is as follows:

• Tell the renderer which URL to play (SetAVTRansportURI)
  • Send Play command
  • Wait for TransportState change STOPPED => (TRANSITIONING =>) PLAYING
  • Set the MC user interface to indicate playing
  • Wait for TransportState change PLAYING => (TRANSITIONING =>) STOPPED
  • Set the MC user interface to indicate not playing
  • ..repeat..

The root of the problem are the TransportState status change messages. Many players don't send TransportState events, so MC has to revert to polling instead. Many players are too slow in sending TransportState events, so MC thinks that the Play command failed, and it tries Play again, perhaps causing a repeat. Sometimes if there is a bandwidth limitation that causes buffering then some players send TransportState PLAYING => TRANSITIONING =>PLAYING (possibly repeatedly) thus causing MC to be confused whether the transition is an end of track, or a buffering problem. Etc. Etc.

You could debug this one, by downloading the DMRA from my sig, set the check box "Enable HTTP logging", Select the Media Renderer, and then Save the HTTP log file and Renderer Report file, and post those files here..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks both for the replies - this does now bring to mind various discussion on the Naim forums about the problems of pushing music to the Uniti streamers.  I already had BubbleUPnP Server installed for when I was experimenting with Lumin on my iPad as a control point.  I've just tried the two with JRiver MC and it all works really well - no problems at all with the short tracks.  I'll see how this combination goes.  Lumin is not bad, but I might think about getting an Android device to try Bubble DS.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Andrew.  I looked at your DMRA before, but am I right in thinking that you need a PC to run it?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Thanks for the detailed explanation Andrew.  I looked at your DMRA before, but am I right in thinking that you need a PC to run it?

Correct.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

krmasson

• World Citizen

I'll see how this combination goes.  Lumin is not bad, but I might think about getting an Android device to try Bubble DS.
FYI, the bubbleUpnP home page lists a few compatible Open Home clients, I think some of them run under iOS. You may not be forced to buy an Android :-)

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck

FYI, the bubbleUpnP home page lists a few compatible Open Home clients, I think some of them run under iOS. You may not be forced to buy an Android :-)

I see Linn Kazoo is listed, so I'll give that a try as well.  The BubbleUPnP route is working well so far, so thanks again for pointing me in that direction.

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck

@krmasson the Lumin app is working very well with BubbleUPnP, so thanks again.  The only issue I've had is that album art keeps getting scrambled, i.e. getting assigned to the wrong album.  This might just be a Lumin issue, but have you come across this?

krmasson

• World Citizen

This looks more like a issue with the local image cache on the controller. This happens to me when I add a new album on the server: it happens sometimes on BubbleDS, and almost always with the Naim app.

Just click on the "clear image/thumbnail cache" (or any similar name) config/setting item on your app, and things should go well again.

Regards
CM

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks, yes I remember this from the Naim app.  The Lumin app has an update library button which seems to fix it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up