INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorites, forgotten?  (Read 1801 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Favorites, forgotten?
« on: October 19, 2003, 09:19:30 pm »

It seems like the Favorites option under the View Menu is kind of forgotten?

It only appears in one place, and doesn't seem to be used in other parts of MC9.

For example, it would be nice to be able to right-click on any item in the tree and Add to Favorites, yet that option doesn't exist.

Also, is there any way to keep track of favorite Internet radio stations? I suppose you could import them to the library and use the file type field to sort them out, but there should be a better way.

I'll repeat my requests for:

1) Smartlist wizard
2) Watched folders (or one touch update/import)
3) Better tools for moving folders

LisaRCT

Re:Favorites, forgotten?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 10:39:43 pm »

Actually the option to add to favorites does exist . . .
unfortunately not as a right-click but rather on the top toolbar under:    View: -->> Favorites: -->> Add to favorites

Also, you can add a Favorites icon to the top or bottom toolbars (or both . .  and even on the 'Location Bar' )  and then Add-to-favorites from there as well.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 12:17:48 am »

Yes, I'd spotted the option under the view menu, it's just that a right-click would seem such an easy way to do it...

The other thing is that the only way to use the Favorites once defined is via the View menu as well - it would be nice if they could be reached via Quick Play, or via a branch on the tree. Think of how Internet explorer handles favorites - there's a menu, but you can also have favorites as a toolbar, or in the sidebar.

Marko

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 01:22:13 am »

Guys, I can right-click any part of my tree here, and I find "favourites" in the "navigation" sub-menu.

You don't have that?

I use it a fair bit, that and the toolbar/location bar icons I added.

1) Smartlist wizard
maybe, only maybe mind you, in version 10

2) Watched folders (or one touch update/import)
This is where my "favourites" comes in most handy to me....
eg. My camera announces itself as a fixed drive in windows which makes "aquire" a right royal PIA. The pics location on the camera is on my favourites list, so, after the camera has "installed" itself, one click there takes me to my pictures. Likewise my d'loaded music folder. When I used watched folders in other apps, I missed the feature in MC, but you know, even if it is introduced, I won't use it. This is far better. Go to location, see what's there, tag it and tick it, import it. (or delete instead if it's a pile of poo). This way your library stays properly tagged and accurate, which in turn means everything else in MC just works.

3) Better tools for moving folders
What, in your opinion could be done better? This is not an aggressive question, I'm geniunely interested. Once all my tags are complete, the "move/copy" and "rename from properties" tools have never left me short. That rename from props really is the dogs bo**ocks of a tool, makes the job so fast and so easy with those presets and its memory.

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 01:58:20 am »

the only way to use the Favorites once defined is via the View menu

You can put a Favorites button on any of the toolbars.

Rob

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 02:11:45 am »

Whoops, just spotted the Favorites in the Navigation sub-menu -- my mistake. The Navigation menu under View doesn't contain Favorites, it starts with Back, so I assumed the Navigation menu when you right-clicked did the same thing. It might be slightly more usable if it were visible immediately on a right-click, but I'll let it rest. I'll add a toolbar button and use that. I can certainly see the utility of Favorites!

As for file moving, here's some typical scenarios for me:

1) I rip (download? perish the thought!  ;)) a number of albums by the same artist into my Rips directory. I check them, tag them, etc then want to move them to their permanent home. Currently I need to drag each folder individually in the My Computer view, because I can't select more than one item at once. Also, since my music directory contains many, many folders I have to wait for the tree to auto-scroll until it gets to the point where I want it. Find & replace on the path works, except that I have to remember the source and destination paths to type in. There is no easy way to view existing file paths while in the search & replace dialog. Another way is to rename from properties, and use this to put the files in the appropriate directory. However, this won't work in the next scenario...

2) I rip a multi-disc compilation album, and put all the albums into another folder. I can't really use the rename from properties in this case, because there is no single property that translates into the overall containing folder.

3) I move part of my music collection to another disk drive. (If I was moving the entire collection, I could do a search & replace), and want the library entry to point to their new location.

Now, in all these scenarios what I could do is move the files in Internet explorer, then from MC do an update, followed by an import from each of the folders I keep music in. This works because I keep all the info in the tags up-to-date. However, I lose information about playlists (what playlists each song is in) and possibly playcount/last played. This is why I proposed a multi-stage update/import function:

Define watched folders first, then when doing an update/import:

1) Check if those songs exist, where their File Path field contains one of the watched folders (there is no need to update the entire library - only those files that appear to be in the watched folders)
2) If they don't exist, flag them temporarily
3) Perform an Import on the watched folders
4) Check to see if the imported files match any of those flagged in 2) - if they do, update their file path and (possibly) tags.
5) If they don't, delete them from the library

This would let me rearrange files freely using Internet Explorer, then use a single function to update the library. The flag/check process means that playlists would not be disrupted. Files would only be removed from the library if they were actually gone, not if they had moved.

Note that there is no need for a background process to "watch" the folders - I'm happy to launch this function manually as needed.

Another option is to make the My Computer branch in the tree closer to Internet explorer - where I can select multiple folders, and drag them to a new location. Given that drag & drop can sometimes involve auto-scrolling through many folders, something like Explorer's cut & past would work.

Yet another option is that when carrying out a Find & Replace on the File Path field, you could get a folder browser dialog, like the one during an Import.

Now, Move/Copy Disk File is close, but... it just seems to move files. It doesn't let me move folders. The only way to move folders is by drag & drop in the tree, or Find & Replace the File Path field.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to right-click on a folder in the tree, and do a Move/Copy on the entire folder. Also, the Move/Copy Disk File dialog doesn't have the option to make a new folder.

Thank you for your concern - I hope this explains what I need! Incidentally, I need to manage my folder structure carefully because other programs rely on it. Basically, tools for DJing. My DJing laptop constantly gets files added and removed from its disk drive, so a simplified update/import is key.

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 09:22:47 am »

Guys, I can right-click any part of my tree here, and I find "favourites" in the "navigation" sub-menu.
You don't have that?

It is there in the Tree, Yes, not in the file list on right-click.

dragyn

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 10:39:17 pm »

I agree with the 'Favorites' on the main right-click menu. I couldn't find it myself oneday.

Now here's the main reason why I never make any Favorites: I keep updating my view schemes and 'Favorites' doesn't update along with the changes.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Favorites, forgotten?
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 05:08:29 am »

would be great if tree items could get some kind of invisible, internal, [IsFavourite] flag applied to them?

this would mean that editing or moving said item would update the faves list, and would also take care of the "sorry, recent changes have reset the favourites list, you'll have to rebuild it by hand" problem.

when compared with the rest of 11.1's GUI, the behaviour of "organise favourites" leaves a lot to be desired too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up