INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My persisting problem (Thread @ Matt)  (Read 3845 times)

Richie@Milky

• Recent member
  • Get Some Education Listen To UK Garage & Grime
My persisting problem (Thread @ Matt)
« on: January 15, 2004, 02:26:13 pm »

Hi again Matt,

Remember me?

I had that problem a while ago, with MC just randomly closing with no error message. Its very odd because the problem went away for a few weeks but had come back for no apparent reason, however, this time im getting an error message:

Media center had encounter critical error #30. Some essential component is missing or corrupt. Please unistall and reinstall the lastest version...

Well obviously this is self explainitory, i completely uninstalled and reinstalled the latest build, this didnt help me. So as before i formatted my pc (this was the only way to *SOMETIMES* correct the problem) and the error didnt come back for about a few hours.

I know people are gunna suggest its an overheating problem or a power problem, well its definetly not overheating because my pc is cooled well and its not a power issue because i got the latest Antec PSU.

I wondering now that you have a bit more information whether you could suggest any new ideas at fixing the problem?

Also is this error message anything to do with the visualisations? in a way i am hoping it is because i have a radeon 9600xt and they have some issues with DX9 (even though they are DX9 cards lol).

Thanks for your time again
Rich

Media Center 10.0.35 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2073 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 309 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     NR-7800A           Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:My persisting problem (Thread @ Matt)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 04:50:23 pm »

There are two possibilities:

• The file Media Jukebox.exe is getting modified somehow
  • You have a hardware glitch in the drive or memory causing the file to show up as changed

A binary compare (DOS compare, or similar) would tell you if it was the first problem.  If that isn't it, it must be the second.  If you can track it down, please let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Richie@Milky

• Recent member
  • Get Some Education Listen To UK Garage & Grime
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 05:14:42 pm »

Sorry i dont understand exactly what you mean...

Q1) How would the .exe file get changed? - if you mean cracked like i said before i have bought MC9 & 10...

Please could someone give me some pointers on how to check.... Thank You

Q2) 'Glitch' meaning what exactly. Bad Memory?

could someone also explain how to do a binary compare coz i dont understand that either, lol sorry.

Rich

phelt

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 09:34:43 pm »

Richie - 'Glitch' might mean bad sectors on the hard drive, bad ram, or something similar. It could be as simple as making sure that all your cables are firmly connected at both ends - I once had file corruption issues with a system and fixed it by pressing on the end of a cable  :P  If a file doesn't get written properly because of a HW flaw or error then it is effectively corrupt.

If I understand correctly (you reformatted and reinstalled Windows?) I think you should check your hard drive for errors. A memory tester might be a good idea if no problems are found with the HD.

The only other things I can think of are virus activity and/or Windows File Protection. WFP can cause problems if a file in the DLL cache is somehow corrupted.

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:55:02 am »

I had this same error for the first time last week - caused by a virus infection (Win32.Pinfi virus, harmless but virulent).  I used Norton AV to uninfect my computer, but MC still came up with this error.

I re-installed the latest build of MC after I had disinfected my computer, and the problem has not reoccured.

Richie - do you have anti virus software, and are you sure you are free of viruses?  (Maybe after your re-format you re-installed some software that could have brought a virus back?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up