INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibility of MC on Mac....  (Read 1715 times)

gr8bluesgtr

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Possibility of MC on Mac....
« on: March 24, 2004, 02:21:26 pm »

I know this has been discussed a few times, but I pose the question anyway....Why not MC on OSX?

I'm a PC users who's planning to move to switch as soon as I can afford it.  But it appears my best choice on OSX is Itunes, not a bad piece of software, but nothing like MC.  I still use and probably will use a PC at work for some time, and I'd prefer to use the same app on both platforms.

Based on my experience as a programmer, I'd guess that the hardest part to port would be the hardware stuff, and anything dealing with DirectX.  If the gui is written using MFC instead of something cross platform like QT, that could be a major undertaking as well.  Either way, I'm sure MC would appeal to mac users.  It's one of the better programs I've used.  I think it would make a nice addition to the programs available for OSX.

Just my $.02

PeterS

Re:Possibility of MC on Mac....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 02:30:09 pm »

It's the old 'time and resources' issue. We'd love to do a Mac version, but it doesn't look likely in the near future. Then there's the uncertainty of enough demand to justify the effort and expense.

PeterS

satchmo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 01:48:55 pm »

Hello,

By far the worst (and only  :) downside to recently giving up on windows in favor of a new iMac is that I can't use MJ/MC any more.  iTunes is ok for playing the library etc, but as you know it cant copy LPs.  Do you know of a program that can do this with OSX that is even half -ha!- as functional and excellent as MJ?  As many other folks, I have come across what seems to be the 'usual' list of such programs, but none even comes close to MJ. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 02:11:19 pm »

Wine? (WINdows Emulator)...or is that Linux only?

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 03:24:00 pm »

Does MC work through Wine?  I've been toying with the idea of jumping to Linux for a while now and MC is one of the things that's been holding me back...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 10:20:22 pm »

Wine isn't (yet) available for OSX, unfortunately.  However, I'm reasonably sure that you could run MC sucessfully on a Mac using Virtual PC.  That program emulates x86 hardware, and allows you to run (and it actually runs surprisingly well) a full version of Windows on your Mac.  The major downside is that you have to actually buy a copy of windows to use it.  There is also a project called Darwine that is working to port Wine to Darwin (and thereby OSX), but last I heard it wasn't ready for prime time.

I for one, would love to see a Linux/OSX version of MC.  I certainly understand the time/resources argument, though.  I do think that both Linux and OSX need a product just like MC badly.  As satchmo pointed out, both OSes are sorely lacking the exact thing MC provides.  

PS.  Wine actually does not stand for WINdows Emulator.  It stands for (in the GNU tradition) Wine Is Not an Emulator.   :)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 10:55:21 pm »

the real question should be, if it was ever released on the Mac, could we call it the MC Mac?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 10:32:20 am »

the real question should be, if it was ever released on the Mac, could we call it the MC Mac?

LMAO

Now, that's funny!!!
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up