INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List Style - Album thumbnails  (Read 3610 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
List Style - Album thumbnails
« on: March 26, 2004, 11:55:17 am »

Hi all,
Sorry if this is an obvious question.
I think that setting the view style to album thumbnails is a cool idea and a nice way to choose an album, but how do you choose just one of the songs for the album without changing the list style?

I dont want to see the same album art for each song (setting the view to "thumbnails" view) because I can only see a couple of albums on screen at a time that way.

Is it possible to have it so that you can set the view of "Genre" and "arstist" to album thumbnails, but when you click on an album in the "album" pane, it shows the songs in "detailed" view.
Or maybe we could have it so that when you click on an album thumbnail the list of songs for that album appear in the action window to the side.

Thanks,
Bri

sherbs

• World Citizen
Re:List Style - Album thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »

This must be one of the most requested things on this forum. I requested it yonks ago and have seen many other requests since.
I, probably like most others, have given up on it and I suggest you do the same.

dingoBaby

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 02:07:42 pm »

You can use the panes to list individual tracks for albums.  I have my panes set up as Artist, Year-Album, and Track#-Name.

If I select the Beatles, Revolver  I see all the tracks in the Track#-Name pane and the thumbnail is displayed below.

I May Be Listening To:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 02:28:10 pm »

I think it would be even easier to give us a toolbar button that cycles through all of the "List Styles".  That way you could just cycle through the views quickly without having to dig through the menus (or get up and walk across the room for the wireless keyboard which is always across the room when you need it).

Some sort of auto-details view when viewing a track listing would be nice too, but I for one would be happy with the toolbar button.  
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 05:18:43 pm »

though not the best way to solve these problems, it was the fastest and implimented a little while ago.

cntrl - shift i = Detail
cntrl - shift o = Thumbnails
cntrl - shift p = Album Thumbnails

Seems like a weird, nonmemonically savvy choice until you look at the keyboard...

dingoBaby

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 01:20:21 am »

What does " nonmemonically" mean?   ?
I May Be Listening To:

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 02:13:33 pm »

Is there some sort of deep, dark secret to getting the keyboard shortcut for details mode working? When in Album view, I hit "CTRL + Shift + I" and it does nothing, and hasn't for the past few builds (haven't tried it prior to 10.0.98)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 06:46:38 am »

I vote for an easy way to switch between Thumbnails view and detailed view. Many many people has asked for that, and it seems we only need some buttons to do that. I don't understand why it seems so diffucult to implment. Will we have this wished feature in V10? Will we have useful buttons in V10?

In my understanding, this kind of feature is more whished than any onther (pong games, pay per listen service, ...).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 07:37:56 am »

The keyboard shortcuts are great (when I can remember them), and when I eventually get a remote that I can use for my computer in my living room then that will be perfect.  However, for those of us still stuck using it with a wireless mouse, the toolbar button would be a great (and easily implemented) solution.  

As I mentioned, the wireless keyboard is always across the room when you need it.  And try explaining to my girlfriend that she needs to remember some arcane keyboard shortcuts.  She usually doesn't even remember the shortcuts for "Play" and "Stop" ...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 12:17:31 pm »

At the moment, view settings are remembered for every view scheme. I vote that they should be remembered for every level of every view scheme. Then you could have genre and artists viewed as album thumbnails, and individual albums viewed as details.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 12:51:10 pm »

What does " nonmemonically" mean?   ?

It means I can't spell... :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 01:02:38 pm »

And try explaining to my girlfriend that she needs to remember some arcane keyboard shortcuts.

Couldn't she use 'Automatic' mode, and then not even have to remember about a toolbar button?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fex

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 02:13:33 pm »

Couldn't she use 'Automatic' mode, and then not even have to remember about a toolbar button?

No. She would like to change it occasionally.
Like me :o.
I do it every minute tagging my tracks.

...and it seems we only need some buttons to do that...

I know it's difficult to chase every hint. But in this case I would appreciate it.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 03:54:18 pm »

I am not sure how "Automatic" mode works. But I am sure I am switching between album thumbnails and detailed view very very often (to tag, to select music, ...). I don't know how this can be automatic.

Matt, why don't you just add the ability to inlcude any menu item as a toolbar button, and finish one for all this eternal discussion...? Don't let anyone to bother you about a missing button... What's the problem? Finding the appropiate icon?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 11:25:07 am »

You can use the panes to list individual tracks for albums.  I have my panes set up as Artist, Year-Album, and Track#-Name.

If I select the Beatles, Revolver  I see all the tracks in the Track#-Name pane and the thumbnail is displayed below.

That's a cool idea, but I have just tried and cant (edit viewscheme) and there isnt an option for a "track - name" pane. Only "Track" or "name"

?

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 11:31:38 am »

You can add your own custom field under Options. Just create one called [Track #] - [Name]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 12:09:42 pm »

Rumor has it there'll be lots of list style toolbar buttons in the next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 12:13:56 pm »

Rumor has it there'll be lots of list style toolbar buttons in the next build.

Do you want to marry with me?  ;D ;D ;D

fex

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 12:59:31 pm »

Matt

I own you a beer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 01:01:22 pm »

Polonio,
Very kind of you to offer.  He is flattered.  He isn't saying yes, but I heard him say something about a wedding dress.

Jim

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 01:48:06 pm »

Polonio,
Very kind of you to offer.  He is flattered.  He isn't saying yes, but I heard him say something about a wedding dress

LMAO !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up