INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.108 Alpha Available  (Read 20796 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.108 Alpha Available
« on: October 22, 2004, 04:42:25 pm »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  When upgrading from MC 10, you will lose your view schemes.  Some plugins still do not work.

We recommend that you use MC10 below, but if you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110108.exe  [see price link above]

Recent Changes

11.0.108 (10/22/04)

1. Fixed: Right-click / send-to in the panes wasn't working properly.
2. Changed: "All" items in disk location schemes wouldn't work properly in the tree.
3. Fixed: Action Window > Build New Playlist could crash.
4. Changed: Show / hide files in subfolders option is honored for queued CD files as well as files already on the CD.
5. Fixed: Adding a folder to burn wouldn't start in-place editing of the new folder's name.
6. Fixed: After cancelling a burn, but leaving the queue, the queued files would still show in the CD's view. (now only show once a burn is restarted)
7. Fixed: Switching to library browser with a skin that didn't support it could cause a crash.
8. NEW: MC TV can record HDTV program in MPEG2 format from ATI HDTV Wonder TV card.
9. NEW: Added visual view header to playlist and CD views.
10. Fixed: Fixed rare erroneous CRC failure when decoding 3.95 and earlier APE files.

11.0.106 (10/19/04)

1. Fixed: MC could use 12/31/1969 as the album for DVD files in some cases.
2. Changed: Portable synchronization with m3u playlists will not include a leading '\\' in the m3u filepath on the portable device.
3. Fixed: Library Server didn't handle transcoding to the same codec properly.
4. Fixed: Right-clicking on a playlist list in the Action Window wouldn't always work properly.
5. NEW: Files can be dropped directly on "Build Playlist" in the Action Window to build a new playlist.
6. NEW: Added checkboxes next to the folder list in Import Media to allow easily switching what folders get searched for each import.
7. Fixed: Adding a folder to 'My Computer' wouldn't start in-place editing of the new folder's name.
8. Fixed: When adding the same menu (i.e. 'File') to multiple bars, menus wouldn't always open from the proper bar.
9. Fixed: Improved drag-n-drop logic to Media Library to only show both 'Move' and 'Copy' when it makes sense. (moving / copying view schemes)
10. Fixed: Library Restore wouldn't empty the destination directory before restoring the library -- possibly causing load failures or other strange behavior.
11. Fixed: Deleting items from the tree could cause the item to not properly be removed until the tree was collapsed and reexpanded.
12. Fixed: Right-clicking a tree item could also act like a left-click (switching views) in some cases.
13. Fixed: The 'Remove empty folders?' prompt could appear twice in a row in some cases.
14. Changed: Improved auto-complete speed when dealing with large lists. (like the Name field)
15. Fixed: Library Server handled QuickTime files incorrectly (looping).
16. Fixed: Duplicate files could get added to the library after performing external changes.
17. Changed: Right-click actions in the tree will rerun a smartlist instead of using the visible file list. (required for split view support)
18. NEW: The split view being controlled is changed by clicking inside the view. (instead of through a menu)
19. Changed: Split views are percentage based instead of 'bottom window pixels' based.
20. NEW: The number of split views visible is saved between sessions.

MC 11 Improvements

• CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
  • Many Theater View enhancements
  • Animated Direct3D file browsing
  • Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
  • Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
  • Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
  • Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
  • Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
  • MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
  • New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
  • Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
  • Added multi-zone synchronization
  • Added Album Gain support
  • Document support with full text searching / indexing
  • Pane auto-sizing
  • Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
  • New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
  • File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
  • Basic image editing
  • Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
  • Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
  • Video CD playback support
  • Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
  • Support for ATI HDTV card
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Media Center 11.0.108 Alpha Available
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 04:48:59 pm »

Another disclaimer that this build may be a little rough.  We're doing a lot of internal plumbing.  Thanks for your patience.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 05:32:50 pm »

Playlist display has changed a little, too.

Simple

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 05:45:21 pm »

Playlist display seems to be very interesting. 'Visible' at first look, easier to edit. One step more whithin the new concept. Not bad.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 05:54:44 pm »

The 'Random' option in playlists does not seem to work. The selections are ordered by artist.

Playlists that call other playlists do not work, no selections are listed for a combination playlist. The individual playlists do have selections.

edbro

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 06:18:49 pm »

MC .108 continues to reimport all files inside of playlists (.m3u) even though the acutal files are already in the library.

Chadman

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 12:20:54 am »

I still can not get my music server to work with ver 108.  I keep getting the invaild argument.  I am now running 108 as my server with ver 72 as my client and it works fine.  For some reason if I update the client to the new version I keep getting the error.

Thanks,
Chad

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 02:55:24 am »

- An old bug re-appeared:
When navigating to playing now, the song that's playing is out of screen, you have to scroll a little bit up to see it.

- When navigating in the Media Libbrary with the panes, the status bar keeps on saying "loading panes"

- Can there be a more visible way to see which view is active when using split screens ?
Sometimes it's hard too see which one is active, when then navigating via the tree, the wrong screen gets updated.

- When using split screens, the search will search in both screens.
Can it be configured so that it only searches in the active screen ?

may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 02:57:23 am »

F5 doesn't refresh smartlists.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 03:19:05 am »

When searching in the media library, the results do not appear.
When typing a new search string, the previous search results appear

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 07:01:41 am »

The 'Random' option in playlists does not seem to work. The selections are ordered by artist.

Playlists that call other playlists do not work, no selections are listed for a combination playlist. The individual playlists do have selections.

Thought I was going mad!
Rich

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 10:11:15 am »

it would be great, if it were possible to drag and drop files to the playing now window, when using the "split view"
just like tha action window.

thnx
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 10:24:21 am »

it would be great, if it were possible to drag and drop files to the playing now window, when using the "split view"
just like tha action window.

thnx

This works for me.  If it's not working for you, could you toss out a few more details like from what to what you're dragging.  Thanks.

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 12:15:21 pm »

Hi guys,

Latest update on .108 and handheld: in addition to what's below, I now also get a pop-up stating "The desired handheld is not valid" after failure, and then MC11 crashes.

==========

I'm still getting erratic behavior with portable transfer w/ re-encode.  Here's what's been fixed:

1) No more locked files stuck in \temp directory

Unfortunately here's the latest behavior:
1) If I luck out, the first song of many that I transfer may do so and have its tags transferred too - this is the same in the last few builds
2) 38 times out of 45 I've ended up with a 0 byte file on the portable - this is new behavior
3) 5 times out of 45 I've ended up with the file on the portable in its entirety, but with no tags - this is the same in the last few builds - and the error "Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files.  Check that the files exist and are not in use by other programs.  Tagging error: songname.mp3"

These are all randomly selected lossless .wma's and ogg's tagged using Media Center, converted on the fly using the portable transfer wizard.  If I do a Convert Format... instead, and point the destination to the portable (my drive K:), the transfer/conversion works every time.

Thanks guys,

-Doug

UPDATE:  If I disable "Update tags when file info changes", I get 100% success on convertion but tags are not transferred at all (that part makes sense I guess).

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 12:32:31 pm »

if i drag a file from the media library to the now playing window it works fine, but if i "strip" the output, via search (so that only songs of the same artist are shown), it dont work anymore and i have to "right click" "add to playing now", why is that ?

strangely if I pull however those the files instead of in playing now the window in animation window go it  ?

If animation the window thus not is visible cannot I dragee and drop not use!
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

SteveG

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 04:29:04 pm »

Doug,

I will recheck this next week. When you get the 0 byte file, what is the file? Is there any pattern? Is it always the same file?

Steve

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2004, 11:20:39 pm »

Doug,

I will recheck this next week. When you get the 0 byte file, what is the file? Is there any pattern? Is it always the same file?

Steve

Hi Steve - I haven't been able to pick out any solid pattern yet but here's a summary of my observations:

- The first track in a batch convert/transfer operation always converts successfully and gets tagged successfully
- Subsequent tracks may be converted to a 0 byte file, which is the correct filename, but nothing else.  Or,
- Subsequent tracks may be converted without issue, but be tagless.  These particular ones seem to generate the "tag failure" error, while the 0-byte files do not.
- There's no pattern to the 0-byte files versus untagged files; any combination of them may appear after a transfer attempt.  The only 100% sure thing that I've seen is that the first file converts and tags succesfully.
- I have tried mp3's re-encoded to mp3's, wma's encoded to wma, ogg to wma, ogg to mp3, etc., and every attempt has the same results.  So I don't think this is a codec issue at either the input or output stage.
- Midway during each conversion process, MC11 tends to update its database, pausing conversion momentarily; I don't recall this happening using the "Convert Format..." tool, which again works flawlessly.  Don't know if this information helps but it's an observation.
- The "desired handheld is not valid" error, introduced this build, appears to happen at the end of failed attempts to transfer a batch of songs.  Perhaps it's just a new symptom of the real issue and will go away once things are fixed.

The only other thing I can make note of is that I tag rather religiously (thanks to aTagger) and so all of my music has a large number of tags.  Reviews, bios, lyrics and more.  I find it interesting that the first file always works and wondered if there could be any correlation to tag size.

C'est tout!

-Doug

Marty3d

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 05:46:46 am »

There seems to be some problem with when MC changes "Last played" date.

Before, it changed when a song had played more than 50% and and you clicked next or the song ended. Now, sometimes it's changing long before 50%. I haven't found why and when yet, but I'm sure some testing will track it down :)

Marty3d

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 07:22:08 am »

* After renaming a file within File Properties, it is not found in MC (Error icon). What actually happens is that MC doesn't rename it at all.
* Doubleclicking a file within Playing now refreshes window and currently playing song ends up outside visible files (also happens whenever you leave Playing now and re-enters)

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 10:57:21 am »

The option to "exclude" folders when "importing media" is helpful and a welcome addition to the funtion.  To round out the function, it would be extremely helpful to allow the use of the standard Windows modifier keys SHFT and CTRL to allow selection of multiple folders within the checked (allowed or excluded) folders.

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2004, 01:31:38 pm »

1.  I had a couple dozen APE files in Playing Now, with one playing.
2.  I hit Stop.
3.  I did Ctrl+A to select all files in Playing Now.
4.  I hit Delete to clear Playing Now.
5.  I immediately got a dialog that said:

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Media Center\Media Center.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

The only option is to click OK and exit Media Center.

6.  I now get that dialog whenever I start Media Center.
Signature removed by moderator.

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2004, 11:27:14 pm »

I've had the startup problem (not based on the same way you achieved it) and remaining the current playlist file in the data directory, so a new clean one is created seems to allow MC to startup again.  But you may want a second opinion before you take my advice.

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2004, 12:34:54 am »

I've had the startup problem (not based on the same way you achieved it) and remaining the current playlist file in the data directory, so a new clean one is created seems to allow MC to startup again.  But you may want a second opinion before you take my advice.

Thanks.  Renaming curplaylist.jmd didn't work (the crash still occurred).  I had to restore curplaylist.jmd with an old copy to get MC 11.0.108 running again.

I also found that the crash was reproducible.  Doing another Ctrl+A and then Delete (as mentioned in my post two above) led to the runtime error again.  Right clicking Playing Now and selecting "Clear Playing Now" does the same thing, as does removing all tracks but one, and then removing the final track from Playing Now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2004, 08:47:36 am »

Thanks.  Renaming curplaylist.jmd didn't work (the crash still occurred).  I had to restore curplaylist.jmd with an old copy to get MC 11.0.108 running again.

I also found that the crash was reproducible.  Doing another Ctrl+A and then Delete (as mentioned in my post two above) led to the runtime error again.  Right clicking Playing Now and selecting "Clear Playing Now" does the same thing, as does removing all tracks but one, and then removing the final track from Playing Now.

I can't reproduce this.  Can anyone else?

Do you have any 3rd party plugins running?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2004, 09:31:09 am »

if i drag a file from the media library to the now playing window it works fine, but if i "strip" the output, via search (so that only songs of the same artist are shown), it dont work anymore and i have to "right click" "add to playing now", why is that ?

strangely if I pull however those the files instead of in playing now the window in animation window go it  ?

If animation the window thus not is visible cannot I dragee and drop not use!

That's by design.  Dropping to a specific spot on an ordered list that's filtered by a search is pretty hairy. (not clear where to put the items, you may not see them after the drop, etc.)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2004, 09:38:45 am »

Doing another Ctrl+A and then Delete (as mentioned in my post two above) led to the runtime error again.  Right clicking Playing Now and selecting "Clear Playing Now" does the same thing, as does removing all tracks but one, and then removing the final track from Playing Now.
I tried these, but I didn't get MC to crash. No 3rd party plugins.

A bug:

I am not sure if this is mentioned before. Info text on the lower toolbar is not working correctly. The text shows "Loading Panes..." instead of the usual "xxxx files (xxx GB - xx days)" unless files are selected.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 11:43:11 am »

I can reproduce this.  Can anyone else?

It's crashing for me when I have the True Launch bar plugin installed.
When stopping the plugin, all works fine.

see:
http://www.truelaunchbar.com/plugins/winamp.html

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2004, 01:19:33 pm »

Launching an album into play from a View Scheme, by highlighting only the Album Name in the Album column and double-click launches some random album into play.

Will the Library Borwser become user configurable as it develops? I see a great deal more potential and was hoping you had only begun to reveal the tip of the iceberg?
. . . the game is rigged

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2004, 01:26:40 pm »

I can't reproduce this.  Can anyone else?

I have the following 3rd-party (or not-so-3rd-party) plugins running:

KingSparta's Cover Art Finder
KingSparta's Lyrics Finder
Sleep Timer
Write Playing
TLB Remote (the plugin I mention in this thread).

I'm running the latest version of each of those plugins.  I will try disabling each of those plugins as soon as I have the chance.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2004, 03:09:45 pm »

Can Media Scheduler be made to run Audio Analysis automatically during low use periods? This would make my life much easier. I am sure that there is much that can be done using Media Scheduler and/or some macro function which we could set to do repetitve chores in exactly the same way and order as many now do compulsively but limited to manually performing these.
. . . the game is rigged

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2004, 04:54:38 pm »

Some file conversions don't update the bitrate/file type properly.

Converted 7 WAV files to MP3 tonight and 5 showed as 1411 bitrate rather than 128. Als othey remained as WAV files in MC 11 but the conversion worked fime - they were recognised in MP3 gain OK it's just the way they're displayed that seems a bit flaky.

John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up