INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I control volume from MC with ASIO?  (Read 5787 times)

sdawson

How do I control volume from MC with ASIO?
« on: October 22, 2004, 08:40:53 pm »

I have an M-Audio Transit USB audio device, and am using its ASIO drivers with MC 10.0.155. Is there a way to get MC to control the volume of the output?

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:How do I control volume from MC with ASIO?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 05:35:45 am »

ASIO bypasses the Windows mixer and the controls within it. (That is why we use ASIO in the first place.) You can use MC's internal volume control for audio tracks. Click the speaker icon besides the volume slider.

If you like to have absolutely unaltered output for lossless audio you must use the controls in your external amplifier or amplified speakers. Though I use Internal Volume with a high quality hifi system and I don't hear any flaws.

For some reason MC cannot control audio volume with video files (an external codec thing?) so with them you must also use the amplifier's volume control or the Windows or M-Audio mixer controls.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sdawson

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 06:09:38 pm »

Thanks Alex. One of those many little hidden treasures in MC! I didn't know you could click the volume icon like that. Would it be correct to say that the output is completely un-tampered with when the internal volume is set to max?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 08:33:35 pm »

Would it be correct to say that the output is completely un-tampered with when the internal volume is set to max?

Exactly -- it's bit perfect.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 11:40:34 am »

Clicking the speaker icons either takes the volume to 0 or 100, which on my system has no effect when using ASIO output.

Matt - ASIO is bit perfect no matter what the volume level is set to, correct?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:35:49 pm »

Do you have this?

ASIO is bit perfect no matter what the volume level is set to, correct?

ASIO is bit perfect, but MC modifies the audio stream before it if the "Internal Volume" is used. It must use DSP. There is no other way to do it (I think). Correct me if I am wrong.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 09:36:01 am »

I have a speaker picture on both sides of the slider - one takes the volume to 0 and the other takes it to 100.  I'm using MC 10.0.155.  I think I'm O.K. though - I'm using 'System Volume' rather than 'Internal Volume'.   I expect this is why the volume control does nothing while set to ASIO, and I expect I'm getting a bit-perfect output.

Matt?

Pogle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 04:43:24 pm »

The real benefit of ASIO is extremely low latency (delay). This isn't really noticeable in an application like MC. ASIO was developed by Steinberg, makers of the sequencer Cubase. It allows you to record one track, play it back and record another next to it without any delay between them.

I also have an ASIO compatible soundcard but use standard Windows audio with MC.

:)

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 03:44:44 pm »

Pogle - Thanks, I realize the difference is subtle, but since I use my pre/pro (which is several times the cost of my entire PC, much less my audio card) to do the A/D conversion I definitely want bit-perfect.

Matt - I would appreciate two quick answers:

1) Is ASIO bit-perfect irregardless of volume setting when using 'system volume'?

2) Is ASIO truly bit-perfect when volume is set to 100% when using 'internal volume'?

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 01:52:37 am »

"System Volume" is bypassed when ASIO is used. That is why the volume lever is not working. Mostly because of that we got the Internal Volume option about a year ago. It uses MC's internal 32-bit signal prosessing. Matt stated in this thread that it is bypassed when it is at maximum.

So, I would think:
1) Yes
2) Yes

-- But, when I play DTS Audio CDs (or the similar 16/44.1 wave files) through my system using optical output there is no way to get it bit-perfect. Not with any settings (even my Terratec DMX6 fire 2496 ASIO soundcard does not resample). DTS decoder in my HT-receiver does not recognize the signal. Those CDs sound as static if the signal is not decoded by a DTS-decoder. The same DTS Audio CDs work when played through the optical output of my 7-year old stand-alone Audio CD player.

More information about the format and music samples can be found e.g. here:
www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 12:16:12 pm »

Alex B -

I've recently tried some DTS files from here http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm and they played fine on my system using ASIO and 'system volume'.  I use the ASIO4ALL driver feeding a $23 Chaintech AV-710 audio card following the instructions here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190009

I have not tried "internal volume" at 100% yet to verify it is still bit-perfect, but I will as soon as time allows (two young kids at home!).  This "internal volume" option will be wonderful if it indeed passes bit-perfect at 100% while allowing for volume control from within MC.  That will allow me to use my remote KB to control volume - no need to have my prepro remote nearby.

Good luck with your setup ...

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 12:13:07 am »

That is the whole idea!

The internal volume control at 100% does not change the bits. If you have a bit perfect setup with an ASIO driver and you play a DTS encoded wav file it will play fine at 100% will loose sync as soon as you move the control and sync again when you move back to 100%.

Cheers

Thomas

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 02:37:33 am »

I installed ASIO4ALL driver and DTS Audio started to work (also with "Internal Volume" at max, so it is bit-perfect). My problem seems to be with the Terratec ASIO driver. I am going to contact Terratec (Germany) and ask about this.

sdawson

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 03:16:30 am »

That's VERY interesting. Please keep us all posted!

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 09:58:09 pm »

I still haven't had a chance to try the "internal volume" option, but with thomaspf and Alex B responses I am confident it will work.  That is a great option.  I wonder how many more little features like that I don't know about?  I peruse this board just for this reason - to find out about the finer details.  I have learned many tricks this way.  Too bad the documentation is poor.

Alex B - good luck with your problem.  I have my own ASIO problem as discussed here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23518  I still haven't solved this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up