INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v10 stops responding when trying to rip cd  (Read 680 times)

kbrutlag

• Change this by choosing profile
v10 stops responding when trying to rip cd
« on: November 15, 2004, 07:07:36 pm »

I've been testing with v9 a friend gave me to try out, and it's just what I was looking for.
Yesterday, I registered for this version.  Now when I try to rip a cd, the program stops responding.  I did notice that if I insert the CD after Media Center is running, at the bottom of the windows it says 'Gathering Files'.

I'm running W2K pro with the latest updates.  I have 2 DVD burners in the system (no CD-ROM), and use Nero with InCD quite frequently.

Any ideas??  I'm in the process of moving most my CD collection to HD so I can play it through my D-Link Media Lounge.

Thanks much

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Re:v10 stops responding when trying to rip cd
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 03:04:51 am »

This could be because DMA has somehow become disabled on your drives. It can happen sometimes if Windows has a hard time reading a disk. I experienced similar symptoms, and fixed it.

The following describes how to check for this, and re-enable DMA.

Right-click My Computer, select Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager, select IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, select the one for your CD/DVD drive, right-click, select Properties, Advanced tab and see if DMA mode is enabled.

If DMA mode is not enabled ie. device is set to PIO mode, then right click on that adapter in the device manager, and uninstall it. Reboot. Windows should redetect the device and install it with DMA enabled.

Try ripping again - if it works, it should be a lot faster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up