INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server  (Read 2827 times)

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
Library Server
« on: November 20, 2004, 09:26:55 am »

I've just started trying out the Media Server and Library Server capabilites. I think it's a perfect solution but could use some enhancements. Later this very evening I'm going to a friends party and I'm intending to download the latest MC11 version (use the free trial) and link it to my Media Server running at home.

I've so far only tried this and link to myself via no-ip.com (great service!) so it's hard to tell if the feature is already implemented but I doubt it is. What I'm looking for is the possibility to also fetch my settings/custom views etc. when connecting to my server at home. That would be great, just one adress (and optional user/pass) - all settings already made and you are ready to go (all with the familiar home-made layout I usually use).

Feel free to correct me if this is already possible, or if there is any other solution to solve this easily.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Server enhancements - feature request
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 12:21:21 pm »

If you're using MC11, use Library Server, not Media Server.  Media Server will be phased out.

Library Server will work with any MC client (same versions of MC on both side are required).  The client can be anywhere on a LAN or on the Internet.  Problems with this are almost always firewall related.  Searching here would provide more info.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Library Server
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 01:21:02 pm »

I think I was a little bit unclear, the function I doubted was working (or even implemented) wasn't the Media/Library-server, I meant the functionality to share settings/views/etc. along with the music. So you are able to easily setup a remote client for.....let's say the time you are going to a party at your friends house and want to get started right away using your home-settings.

As it is right now it's easier to see the actual usage (bandwidth) with Media Server, and I also like the stand-alone function. I will research further.

Ps. I will try to choose a better topic next time, they always seems to be changed  :)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 04:16:58 pm »

In the meantime, you can always export the settings that are stored in the registry to a .reg file, which will be tiny.  That can then be emailed or copied to a USB memory stick and taken with you.  Simply double-click the .reg file on the new computer and it will have those settings changed to match your home machine.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 07:20:40 am »

I guess that is an alternative, but a bit to much work (maybe just that I'm lazy... ;) ). I would very much prefer this to be an option for the server and/or the client to export/import settings.

Sticking to the topic...

The convert-option for library-server, how does it actually work. Does it convert on-the-fly and stream the music to the client?

I've read in another topic that the conversion works without delay, that's not the case for me. I've got an A64 3200+ which should be sufficient for this, but even when I use 32kbit it's a major hickup when the conversion is being made (apx. 15-20 seconds). And when playing the files the current file information (in the top of the screen) still states that played files are at the same bitrate as the original (in this case VBR 190-250 kbps).

When using VBR I get an error stating "Plugin not found or incorrect interface version. Please reinstall latest...." I have the latest encoder installed (downloaded from J River). Some other kind of problem?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 10:11:03 am »

Conversion is set up on the client, not the server. Go to Tools -> Options and click on library.

Try a couple of different converters, see if the problem happens with them all.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up