INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have A Problem? Be Helpful.  (Read 1008 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Have A Problem? Be Helpful.
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:19:26 pm »

Sometimes I look at a post to see if I can help and I read something like:
"My music wont play" or "All I make is coasters when I use my CD".
Really and truly, it is easier for those in the forum to help if you are a bit more specific. And I'll guess the MC Team could zero in on real problems faster too if they had more info. So, why not try to help others help you?

Give the post a name other than "Help". Make it descriptive. Like "Burning at 48X Loses Tracks" or something that says what the problem is. Makes it easier to find it when you come back. Makes it easier to decide to look in that post to see if you can help.

Give the steps you do to get the problem. Shoot, take notes if you have to. It is easier to see what's going on if I can open this, click that, select an option, etc. Tell everyone where in this sequence you get the problem you are reporting. If you don't know until the burn is done for example, say so.

If you get an error message, put it in the post. Exactly. Not "Then I get some kind of error window."

Post your system info. Well, ok, mainly for hardware related things like bad burns or rips. But it is always useful know what version of MC you have and some other maybe important items.

Do you have problems with a CD, CD-R, DVD? Do you have XP? Do you have an ASPI layer installed? It would look something like this in the MC System Info:

"ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)"

Unless you have a real reason to have an ASPI layer installed, try removing it. I know of no programs that actually need this with XP anymore. But, maybe you do.

If you do these things I'd think that you will find that your problem is resolved pretty quickly. And if it is, say "Thanks". Except for a few, nobody gets paid to help with anything here. People do it because they can, because they like to be helpful, because they had this or that problem and know what did it. Be nice.

Finally, if the download you have says "Alpha", don't expect every last item to work perfectly. It really isn't supposed to. Make suggestions of what you'd like to see. Report broken functions so they can be looked at and fixed. But don't get all nasty when something isn't perfect with a shiny new piece of software that is being developed right under your feet.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled forum...

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: Have A Problem? Be Helpful.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:08:04 am »

This is a sticky, if I've ever seen one! Jim, Matt, guys! Put this at the very top, please!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
Re: Have A Problem? Be Helpful.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 06:19:24 pm »

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up