INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 CD Burning  (Read 5947 times)

scub

• Recent member
MP3 CD Burning
« on: January 15, 2005, 08:37:00 pm »

Anyone else having problems using the burn MP3 CD option.  It always fails on me when tying to convert a non-mp3 file.  If I choose to burn a data cd then it is succesful. 

I have went over all setting in options->encoding for File Conversion.  I even pointed to an external, newer version of Lame, but no luck.  Lame.exe pegs out near 100% in task manager when the error occurs.

I can do a manual convert to .mp3 in library tools without error.

Error Title: CDWriter
Details: Error opening data file: <Path\Filename>
Data disk will not be reliable.

Error occurs every time it encounters a non .mp3 file, in this case .ogg.

Media Center Registered 11.0.177 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2149 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 104 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive K:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive L:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive K: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R5002   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive L: SONY     CD-RW  CRX215E5    Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MP3 CD Burning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 04:04:54 am »

From Re: Media Center 11.0.162 Alpha Available « Reply #39 on: Thu 30.12.2004 » by LisaRCT
When burning a CD (in this case an MP3 disk) I get the following errors:

1- "Error 32 openning data file: C:\Documents and Settings\LisaRCT\My Documents\My Music\Temp\MCTranscoded.iso
Data disk will not be readable"

2- I am STILL getting an error message that any more than 650mb is over the capacity of the blank disk even though it is a 700 mb/80 Min. blank.

3- After the above two messages, I then get an error message that says:
"Error opening data file: E:\Music_1\Candlebox\Candlebox - 03 - You.mpc"
etc, for every file listed in the burn queue.
I tried copying the files to another folder but still get the same message.

BTW- That MPC file is good . . played it in MC and sucessfully completed my burn using another software.

From Re: Media Center 11.0.162 Alpha Available « Reply #40 on: Thu 30.12.2004» by Alex B
I got the MPC error too. I tried to make an MP3 disk with a playlist of 110 MP3 files and one MPC file. I converted the MPC file manually to MP3 and burned a "Data CD" without problems. I didn't try "MP3 CD" again since there was nothing to convert.

The size of the playlist was 669 MB and MC reported that there is only about 10 MB left on a 700 MB disk (an empty Verbatim 10x CD-RW), but it didn't give any disk size error messages.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 08:12:15 pm »

I got this error today when it tried to convert a wma file for an mp3 cd as well.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 04:24:40 am »

GHammer got this error too:

From: Media Center 11.0.178 Alpha Available « Reply #3: Can't Create MP3 CD»
I created a playlist and sent it to a CD burner.
I chose to make an MP3 CD.

I see the list, there is an empty CD-R in the drive and I click to statr the burn.

I get error dialogs on every APE and APL in the list to be burned.

The error is:

"Error opening data file:" and it lists the full path to the file.
Data disk will not be reliable.

As with the problem I see with the handheld device, the APEs and APLs play fine. So they are not missing or corrupt. In fact my workaround shows there is not a problem with the files.

For now, I do a Convert Files which creates MP3s from the APE/APL files. I copy the MP3s from the playlist to the same folder that the conversion outputs to. Then I drag those files to a playlist. Then I can write an MP3 CD.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 05:25:34 am »

There is a followup to that post too.
Even after creating the MP3s, etc the burn itself fails to create a usable CD.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 06:09:30 am »

It is the MP3 CD part. I burned a CD successfully in data CD mode. Perhaps the recent MP3 encoder change broke it. Many things connected with it seem to be broken: Library Server conversions, MP3 CD burning, etc.

Didn't you guys at JR try all options before launching the changed encoder? Though, we were warned...  ;)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:08:23 pm »

It is the MP3 CD part. I burned a CD successfully in data CD mode. Perhaps the recent MP3 encoder change broke it. Many things connected with it seem to be broken: Library Server conversions, MP3 CD burning, etc.

I just tried burning a data CD.
First, the files still have to be converted to MP3 first then create a new playlist, etc.
Second, the CD that was burned is not readable on 2 drives in my computer or in a portable.

Since I am 'testing', I am using a CD-RW. If I erase it and use Nero to burn, all is well.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 08:50:11 am »

Oh, doing a data CD will not convert formats and I see no way to prefix the list order to the filenames.

Plus, as I said, writing the data CD results in an unreadable CD anyway.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 10:23:24 am »

Oh, doing a data CD will not convert formats and I see no way to prefix the list order to the filenames.

Yes, that's the difference between Data CD and MP3 CD. Prefixing is here: In "Drop Files Here" dialog right-click Options > CD/DVD File Naming > Prefix List Order to Filenames and/or Custom... (MC seems to open the same option panel in both cases - ??)

Prefixing has worked for me. Last time I did it with 11.0.162. My portable and car MP3 CD players need prefixed MP3 files for playing them in right order.

Plus, as I said, writing the data CD results in an unreadable CD anyway.

It has worked for me from the time the prefixing option came to MC10 until v. 11.0.162. Before that I used Nero. I use only CD-RW disks since they are meant for temporally usage. I usually make about two MP3 disks in a month or so.

I haven't tried it with the current version yet. Unless MC has changed after 162 the problem might be specific to your hardware/software combination. I can try to verify that with my three totally different PCs.

I wasn't very excited about the MP3 disk option when it worked. (Yes, it worked before the encoder changes). It made a disk image of the whole thing to a temporally folder and the process was rather slow. Especially when it was reading various APL/APE files and converting them one by one. I found it much faster to convert the files with the usual MC tools and burn them from a temporally folder.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 10:36:02 am »

I haven't tried it with the current version yet. Unless MC has changed after 162 the problem might be specific to your hardware/software combination. I can try to verify that with my three totally different PCs.

I wasn't very excited about the MP3 disk option when it worked. (Yes, it worked before the encoder changes). It made a disk image of the whole thing to a temporally folder and the process was rather slow. Especially when it was reading various APL/APE files and converting them one by one. I found it much faster to convert the files with the usual MC tools and burn them from a temporally folder.

Yes, it used to work. It is not burning at all well now.

One thing I see is that the first entry in the burn list always stays at "waiting".
Then others show 'complete' or 'waiting' as the mood strikes them.
Then I see the 'writing lead in lead out' line in burn progress.
I get the Burning is complete box.
Then if I close MC and try to read the CD itis unreadable.
Happens on either burner, happens with CD-R and CD-RW media.

Never happens with the same files burned with other apps.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 02:25:18 pm »

Progress!

If I use the "Show List" function, the burns fail.

If I do not, it worked.

Odd.

Also, If I chose to look at the device settings before the burn (CD-R in, etc) it was showing a wrong (too high) rate. I manually set it to the speed I know to be correct.

At any rate, I have done a few good burns at this point.
Now to see if it is showing the list or if it is the speed setting that causes this to fail for me.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 03:09:13 pm »

I tried Data CD burning with my main MC computer.

It worked at 10x speed. (= the maximum speed for RW disks with my drive. The RW disks must also support the used speed.) I used a 700 MB Verbatim Hi-Speed CD-RW 8-10x disk. Also "Show List" worked OK.

Though it wasn't perfect:

- MC correctly added the prefixed sequence numbers at first, but if the naming option is changed all numbers are reset to "1-". It's not possible to get them back without clearing the burn queue and starting over. (This has been reported in the bug threads.)

- I had 699 MB of MP3 files, 111 tracks. MC falsely reported that I have 20 MB of files over the disk capacity. I ignored the message and it burned them OK. (Also this has been reported in the bug threads.)

- MC seems to keep the drive reserved after burning. It cannot access the disk after ejecting and reinserting. The same goes with Windows Explorer. I had to shutdown MC before windows could read the newly burned disk.

- An m3u playlist was added without asking. My players do not use it. It should be optional.

I will try this with my other computers too.

Media Center Registered 11.0.179 -- C:\Soft\MC\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2857 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 607 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1584 (xpsp2.040720-1705) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1580 (xpsp2.040720-1705) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive F: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4480B  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive F: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 10:56:15 pm »

Ok, I have done more testing.

I have several types of blank media. Some are only good for 24X, some 40X, some 52X. It's China, you get what you get. But, once you know the capability of the blanks, they are good. I buy spindles of 50 and can't remember the last bad blank I had.

Anyway, if I open the CD writer drawer and start Nero, I see 52X as the max speed. If I put media in Nero will set the max speed according to the blank. And all is well for writing. This goes for CD-R and CD-RW media.

MC does not seem to do this.

Manually setting the speed results in a good burn. The display is off as Alex mentioned, and the status of the selections is wrong, but at the end a good cd is produced.

For ripping there is a MAX setting. I think there should be the same for burning then  MC should detect and use the highest speed possible.

And, give me the option of writing the playlist to the CD. For my portable it not not needed. And if I am adding the sequence number to the filenames it should not matter anyway.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 04:47:05 pm »

I tried Data CD burning with my main MC computer.

It worked at 10x speed. (= the maximum speed for RW disks with my drive. The RW disks must also support the used speed.) I used a 700 MB Verbatim Hi-Speed CD-RW 8-10x disk. Also "Show List" worked OK.

Though it wasn't perfect:

- MC correctly added the prefixed sequence numbers at first, but if the naming option is changed all numbers are reset to "1-". It's not possible to get them back without clearing the burn queue and starting over. (This has been reported in the bug threads.)

- I had 699 MB of MP3 files, 111 tracks. MC falsely reported that I have 20 MB of files over the disk capacity. I ignored the message and it burned them OK. (Also this has been reported in the bug threads.)

- MC seems to keep the drive reserved after burning. It cannot access the disk after ejecting and reinserting. The same goes with Windows Explorer. I had to shutdown MC before windows could read the newly burned disk.

- An m3u playlist was added without asking. My players do not use it. It should be optional.

I will try this with my other computers too.

The behavior was identical with the other two PCs, an Athlon/Win2k desktop and a P4/XP laptop.
The same comments are valid.

Media Center Registered 11.0.179 -- C:\Soft\MC\

Microsoft Windows 2000 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1325 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 786 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive G:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive G: PHILIPS  CDRWDVD2010        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:10  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes

Media Center Registered 11.0.179 -- C:\Program Files\MC\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2509 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 521 MB, Free - 313 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1552 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive J:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive K:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive J: QSI      DVD/CDRW SBW-161   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 02:00:55 pm »

Is there any news on this one?
It would be a really nice feature if it worked.
All my Musics in APE
My car player plays Mp3.
and I'm too lazy to convert it manually!
 8)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 12:29:23 pm »

:)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 12:58:36 pm »