INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC's "favourites" system needs streamlining.  (Read 4294 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC's "favourites" system needs streamlining.
« on: January 22, 2005, 08:47:45 am »

well, in my very humble opinion, it does :)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
Re: MC's "favourites" system needs streamlining.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 06:46:09 am »

excellent idea. the current implemention is highly confusing. i would strongly favor the idea of favorites showing up in their "home" mode and "all media".

if you're an inappropriate media mode, show the favorite as greyed out - and if the user tries to select it twice in a row, ask them if you want to switch modes.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 08:35:46 am »

i like the idea of being able to add viewschemes as favorites, up to now i have never used favorites at all.

i usually have a <------------ appended at the end of name of an interesting viewscheme so i can find it quickly. Not as nice as marko's idea i admit.

EpF

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 01:07:43 pm »

i like the idea of being able to add viewschemes as favorites

You already can - Marko's point was that they only work when you're in the same Media Mode you were in when you created them.

;)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 12:17:07 pm »

I'm for this.

Currently Favorites is not user-friendly at all. The only way to access ifavorites is via the tree, no right click->menu->go to

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:50:40 am »

..i played with this some more, the inabilty to create folders stands out.

So far the favorites list is small...but i can see it growing with more use.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 06:04:03 am »

I was thinking about this topic and Voila !! ...it pops up at the top of the list.

..especially the part where you lose the favorites when you "upgrade" to the latest & greatest. There must be a way to save these in the library somewhere and recreate it on library restore. ...without (heh) resorting to 3rd party programs.

Would not hurt to give the current favorites system a makeover too :P

EpF

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 06:55:54 am »

The favourites system (aka Navigation) works a bit more intuitively now, because Media Modes are now just shortcuts to places in the tree, so no more non-responsive favourites-menu clicks.

I agree with marko that the 'Organise' dialogue is clunky and unfriendly. (I also think that it, along with other dialogues such as 'Import', would be much improved if you could resize them). Version 11.1.97 still does that multiple flash/refresh when you click 'up' or 'down', and still with the same scroll-bar position problem.

I'm with hit_ny too on the folder suggestion. It would be much more useful and usable if it functioned like a web-browser favourites menu.

Personally, I'd like it if any navigation entries (like 'back', 'refresh', etc.) that I have included in my toolbar were automatically removed from the navigation menu; it's practically never going to be handier for me to go 'back' by either clicking on the Navigation toolbar icon and choosing it from the drop-down or by right-clicking on a tree-item and choosing it from the Navigation sub-menu, than it is to use the dedicated toolbar icon. Those Navigation-menu entries clutter and elongate the favourites system; though that really wouldn't matter if there was a folder system in place.

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 10:26:22 am »

I use buttons on the side of the mouse to move back/forward. It works in IE as well as in MC - very handy.

EpF

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 11:12:49 am »

I use buttons on the side of the mouse to move back/forward.
Yes, I have navigation buttons on my mouse; and on my keyboard - spoiled for choice! However, that doesn't clean up my 'favourites' menu!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 11:39:01 am »

The must-have feature for favorites is to be able to save it between upgrades.

It takes time to make, even more to get it right only to have to re-create it once again.

EpF

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 02:25:49 pm »

The must-have feature for favorites is to be able to save it between upgrades.

It takes time to make, even more to get it right only to have to re-create it once again.
As a workaround for this, the Registry entry for the favourites menu is:
Code: [Select]
Registry\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 11\PropertiesThere you will find a string value called 'Tree Favorites'. You can export the whole 'Properties' registry entry, to import after upgrading (I'd have to say that this is probably not recommended, as there are likely to be registry changes when upgrading). You could copy the text from the string value and save it in a text file, which you would then manually paste back into the new string value after upgrading, though I've never done that.

I recently upgraded to 11.1 and did the export/import trick, which seemed to work. The only thing I've noticed that didn't work was the user preset columns under 'Customise current view' - I've had to remake those all over again.

Every time I've read anything about editing the Windows registry, it has been accompanied by serious warnings about the dangers of doing so (utterly ruining your computer and the like!) - so anyone reading this should be aware that editing the Windows Registry is risky!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 11:57:00 pm »

I recently upgraded to 11.1 and did the export/import trick, which seemed to work. The only thing I've noticed that didn't work was the user preset columns under 'Customise current view' - I've had to remake those all over again.
That's another for the to-save between upgrades list.

Until then maybe it's time for string & duct tape.

If a .reg file is done of the above settings, upon upgrade. Maybe do a cursory check of those items in regedit to enusure they are unchanged. Then a simple dbl click of the reg file should enter them into the registry.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 08:58:39 am »

While we're at it, could we revisit this?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=19139.msg132640#msg132640

A lot of the inconsistencies I noted are still there.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 09:03:54 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up