INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could play Real files, but no more. Ideas?  (Read 955 times)

jnto

Could play Real files, but no more. Ideas?
« on: February 12, 2005, 04:44:25 pm »

>:(

I have Real Alternative on my laptop. I used to be able to play streaming RealMedia files on  Media Center 10 through that.

But it  doesn't now.  When I try to open a Real Audio stream in Media Center I get an error message.

I recently updated RealAlternative, so that may have affected it, though i don;t know why it would.

Does anyone know why it no longer works, and any suggestions on how to fix it? .......I really don't want to install the "real" RealMedia Player if I can avoid it. Especially since Real Alternative used to work.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Could play Real files, but no more. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 03:19:46 pm »

I've just tried the latest 'Real Alternative' and found it's not working with multiple zones.  It may be a configuration issue but when I try using it ALL audio gets output through the system device.  I'm not sure if there's a way to send different streams to different output zones as per MC11's own abilities with other format types.  While I dislike Real on general principles I do need to be able to playback streams that are dumb enough to be using it.

Anyone know how to make the 'Real Alternative' setup use output zones properly?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 04:40:05 pm »

MC can direct only internally decoded formats to various output devices. MC uses Real Media codec as an external decoder. MC has no control on what output the external decoder uses.

There is a workaround for this. Winamp's Shoutcast plugin and a Shoutcast server can be used for broadcasting streams in MP3 format on LAN: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29096.msg201178#msg201178

I have used Shoutcast for streaming single audio output to several PCs on my LAN: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24691.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 05:53:30 pm »

Hmmm, so how does one tell MC11 to recognize the format of the stream and rejigger it so that it's played properly?  As in, just hit play and have it come out the right port without having to manually fire up some other program and interface with it?  I'm ok with having MC "push" it to something external, I just don't want to have to do it manually.

Barring that, who knows of a good .ram stream to .wma or .mp3 converter?  I don't have to listen to the stream 'live' so on-disc buffering or recording would be ok.
Pages: [1]   Go Up