INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.201 Beta Available  (Read 8902 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.201 Beta Available
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:06:20 am »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  Some plugins still do not work.

We recommend that you use MC10 below, but if you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110201.exe

Recent Changes

11.0.201 (2/28/05)

1. Changed: Improved 'Cancel' functionality of import / update library system.
2. NEW: Enhanced CD view header to show more appropriate information for blank, data, and other non-audio disc types.
3. Fixed: CD drives would not show up in the tree. (introduced in 200)

11.0.200 (2/28/05)

1. Fixed: Media Center could fail to install in some cases on a clean machine.
2. Fixed: After a file conversion, tags would not be saved to the new file.
3. Fixed: Some dynamically filled submenus could disappear quickly after appearing.
4. Changed: Internal queue for Portables has been revised.
5. Fixed: When starting MC in Playing Now, the current playback track wouldn't be visible.

11.0.199 (2/25/05)

1. Fixed: Log file would not open properly in some editors.
2. Fixed: When first switching to a view, the file list would not always be scrolled to the top.

11.0.198 (2/24/05)

1. Fixed: Playlists SDK access would not show smartlists.
2. Fixed: Queued CD files would not show up properly until "Show files in subfolders" was selected.
3. Fixed: Renaming / deleting data burn folders could cause a crash in some cases.
4. Fixed: File deletions from Portables would not always delete correctly.
5. Fixed: MC would not create iRiver 140 playlists with the correct path.
6. Fixed: Mass Storage type device track deletion would not always be reflected correctly in the view.
7. Fixed: Occasional substantial delays after synchronization to portables.
8. Fixed: Message regarding 'Files already on Portable will be removed from queue" will occur only once per session unless directed to not show again ever.
9. Fixed: TV would lock up in previous build.
10. Fixed: Portable Progress AW 'Cancel' could overwrite other parts of window.
11. Fixed: Delete / Shift+Delete to delete images while watching a slideshow was not functioning.
12. Fixed: Import / Synchronize of the database would remove CUE file entries as if they were broken links.
13. NEW: Added new debug logging configuration dialog -- access in Help menu.

MC 11 Improvements

CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
Many Theater View enhancements
Animated Direct3D file browsing
Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
Added multi-zone synchronization
Added Album Gain support
Document support with full text searching / indexing
Pane auto-sizing
Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
Basic image editing
Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
Video CD playback support
Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
Support for ATI HDTV card
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
Re: Media Center 11.0.200 Beta Available
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 01:14:41 pm »

Back navigation shortcuts (backspace, Alt-Left, etc.) gets you to the previous display but at the top of it instead of scrolling to the very point you were at. This happens with Library Browser too.

(This bug was present in version 196... since I do not see it in the fix list for .200 I just post it here as a reminder).
----

Listening to: 'You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To' from 'The Complete Cole Porter Songbooks [BOX SET] (CD 1 of 3 - Night And Day, The Cole Porter Songbook)' by 'Helen Merrill' on Media Center 11

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 01:45:44 pm »

*CUE FILE ISSUES*

- MC complains it can't tag CUE tracks when update tags on file changes is ticked. It is preferrable that it not complain about this like with WAV or video files.

- If an album with imported+analysed CUE tracks is moved (within MC) after import MC loses the address of those imported CUE tracks. The big file the CUE tracks are associated with is not lost.   

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 02:28:13 pm »

Converting from CUE/APL to musepack doesn't work.

It works here. I converted some APE/APL and MP3/CUE tracks to MPC.

Though all conversions from CUE tracks have a tagging problem. MC doesn't understand to take information from its own database when it writes file tags. Instead it copies the tags from the main file if it has any.

MC uses library information for tagging when wave files are converted. It should use the same system for CUE tracks.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 11.0.201 Beta Available
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 03:59:50 pm »

1.   There is no ability to access common DVD commands (e.g. menu, change audio track, subtitles, etc.) by keypresses (or any other means that would allow a remote control to be used to while playing a DVD).  Without this, DVDs are not playable (for any practical purposes) in Theaterview.

2.   When playing a DVD in Theaterview the dialog that asks if you want to continue playing where you left off, pops up. This dialog is not implemented any differently in Theaterview and thus looks terrible in Theaterview. Further, there is also no way to answer it using a remote.

3.   The removable field is not filled in when items are imported

4.   Bitrate field for most MPEG video files is shown as 165722112

5.   Using Drive&Devices, moving a file from under one of the My Network Places shortcuts to another can result in deletion of the file instead, i.e. it doesn’t appear in the new location it was to be moved to, but presumably MC thinks it has been copied and deletes it from the old location. This same problem does NOT occur when moving files in the Microsoft Windows Network part of the My Network Places tree.

6.   When moving photos to another location within “Drives and Devices” the photos are moved, but often the view of the folder the files were moved from is not updated properly (e.g. some of the moved files are still shown, but with an X through the thumbnail showing that the underlying file is no longer present). This occurs when moving files between network shares (where I keep my photos). A refresh usually solves the problem, but this shouldn't be necessary.

7.   Executing MJEXTMAN.EXE unminimizes Media Center.

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 10:14:59 pm »

False "rip failed" message for last track of an album. The log indicates 100% successful in each case and I can find no errors in the ripped tracks

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 06:37:37 am »

still seeing the problem where playlists aren't displaying the first 2 lines. If i double-click a PL to send it to Playing Now it starts at the first track, but if I single click the PL name the first 2 entries are always scrolled off the top (always: if the playlist is long enough to need scroll bars).

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 06:38:14 am »

The "rip progress" bar still remains full for all but the first track of any ripped CD.  It should fill from left to right for each track.

jankm

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 05:42:07 pm »

I have posted about this about once a month when I have time since I've been using MC11. No one has responded about similar problems so I'm starting to think something is wrong on my end.

Whenever I play a song the whole way through and then a few seconds into the next song I decide to go to the next track, that 2nd song I played gets a play count added and the last played field updated. This is really causing problems with my database and how my smartlists are organized.

Fixer

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 08:09:00 pm »

Whenever a track changes I get a little TICK sounds coming from my computer speakers.  Is this new or have I not been paying attention?  Is there a way to turn it off?

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 08:31:43 pm »

I have posted about this about once a month when I have time since I've been using MC11. No one has responded about similar problems so I'm starting to think something is wrong on my end.

Whenever I play a song the whole way through and then a few seconds into the next song I decide to go to the next track, that 2nd song I played gets a play count added and the last played field updated. This is really causing problems with my database and how my smartlists are organized.

I have noticed this as well - in MC10 (and most other media players) the play count doesn't get updated until the last second of the track has ticked away.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 01:12:35 am »

Not sure where my post here from earlier today went...

Still trying to report and get feedback on license being expired upon renaming a computer on a workgroup.  Seems like this would be easy to confirm as intentional or bug.  Just trying to add to the MC community here.

You were answered here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26202.msg181911#msg181911

Since this is not a bug, may I suggest that you start a new thread if you need more help on that.

Marty3d

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 07:34:11 am »

Confirmed...the process should be:
Set play count after 50% of a played song, don't display it until next song or stopped. This is how it worked in MC10, and that took several months before agreed upon...please don't change it, JR!

/Martin

dcwebman

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 08:57:49 am »

Just to let you know if you're thinking you don't have many replies on this beta, it may be because some people can't get it. I have been trying since yesterday morning but it just keeps trying to connect. I haven't even gotten to the dialog box where I can enter where to save the filename.
Jeff

ocenter

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 04:03:23 pm »

When I Import files into MC11, it reimports files that are already in MC11 hence making duplicates or even triplicates of files already there. The files that it does this to seem to be associated with a cue file only.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 06:09:45 pm »

When I Import files into MC11, it reimports files that are already in MC11 hence making duplicates or even triplicates of files already there. The files that it does this to seem to be associated with a cue file only.

It's because MC only reads the CUE information and makes internal database links to the main audio file. It doesn't care about the CUE file after that. That's why it also doesn't know that the same CUE file was already read before.

I like it and hope it won't be taken away. It's currently the only possible way to make virtual tracks, links that point to the same audio data file. The virtual tracks can have different tags and cover art.

For example, it's possible to make virtual "Best of" albums by collecting tracks from several CUE files. The excess track entries can be deleted from the library.

Though, I never use the global "File > Import" dialog. I did it last time over two years ago. I import the albums one by one by right-clicking the new album folders or tracks. My library is always in perfect order so there is no need to let MC look for new files or clean the library during the import process.

EDIT. I forgot that also APL files could be used for making "virtual links". It is a pity that only APE/APL files are supported. (Currently?)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bedessy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Dj NoBody
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 09:08:05 pm »

Mc is crashing while just playing a Cd. The 3D Visualization I think is crashing the program. In Picture cube mode instead of the cover art in the shape of a cube floating around the screen there's a plain white box floating around. If you switch modes to another mode Plain white screen and then the windows error box appears. After windows get its error report ready to send. The whole program shutdown and cut-off.

Media Center Registered 11.0.201 -- I:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1594 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 557 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-107D  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-107D   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive H: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-708A     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 02:45:48 am »

Two problems and one question here:

1)
When I open a playlist this list appears in the right pane. That pane is divided in two in version 11: playlist info up and playlist-listing down. So far so good. However when I open it the first three titles of my playlist are always hidden - the first one that I see in the lower section is no. 4. I have to scroll up to see the first item.

2)
How can I adjust the behaviour of this view? As far as I can see it only shows a dozen or two of the covers that are in the playlist that's opened.

3)
When I start playing a song from the internet MC plays it, but when this song is done MC continues playing the first song of Playing Now, even when i.e. the second song was paused before I started that internet-song.
In my opinion the only thing MC has got to do is playing that internet-song and then return to the state MC was in before playing that song.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 04:41:09 am »

Media Center chrashes when files do not exist any longer on disc and
you try to update the library.

This happens when manually trying to delete these entries from the library and
it happens when i try to import new files and it automatically cleans the library.

It happened in MC 11.0.199 too.

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 07:42:02 am »

1. Changed: Improved 'Cancel' functionality of import / update library system.
2. NEW: Enhanced CD view header to show more appropriate information for blank, data, and other non-audio disc types.
3. Fixed: CD drives would not show up in the tree. (introduced in 200)

1. Functioned very well now:)
2. Pleases me much better
3. Very well

all in all a very good Build  ::), further so

The "rip progress" bar still remains full for all but the first track of any ripped CD.  It should fill from left to right for each track.

- confirmed I also  :(

Media Center chrashes when files do not exist any longer on disc and
you try to update the library.

- I can also confirm  :o
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

ocenter

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 06:55:10 pm »

Alex B.
 So you are saying that we should go through each and every folder or file and import them that way? Kinda defeats the purpose of having an import function. I like cue support too, but only when there is one cue file for each track in my library.
Quick ex.
 Thievery Corporation Album : 1 file w/1 cue  that shows 8 tracks.

After it has been imported it shows the 8 tracks.
After music folder has been imported twice more (the album is a subfolder)
Now shows 3 copies of each track (24 total)
Makes a real mess very quick!
Going folder to folder is time consuming plus it is impractical. I am glad that it works for you but I think most people would like to be able to set the import task up and do it on one try.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 07:07:30 pm »

ocenter

Start A New Thread, About The Problem, Out Side Of The Bug Thread To Converse

Thanks
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 07:35:11 pm »

Changed: Improved 'Cancel' functionality of import / update library system.

Works well. How about a "pause" and "resume" function?

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 01:38:54 pm »

After installing .201 over .198, on any attempt to open MC I get an error box stating: Failed to Initialize Registration Control.  MC will not start up at this point.

The Install program also would not start properly on the first download.  Unfortunately I did not note the error message that came up...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 02:17:19 pm »

Try installing again.

Try uninstalling, rebooting, and re-installing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up