INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Encoder  (Read 2153 times)

Catul

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MP3 Encoder
« on: March 03, 2005, 07:50:40 pm »

I've been using MC11 for the last couple of months, and am on the latest (v201) build right now - I appear to have lost MP3 encoding capabilities.  The MP3 Encoder is installed when I check under Plug-Ins; but if I try to convert files to MP3 while syncing with my iPod, it hangs (used to work perfectly before).  Same thing with the TiVo Server - it hangs if I enable the option to encode to MP3 (at whatever bitrate, 128k, 192k, etc.)

So, can I install the plug-in somehow or check how to enable it?  Thanks!

Catul

• Recent member
Re: MP3 Encoder
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 07:10:32 am »

Any thoughts on this?  I installed build 205 and same thing - during install I can see the MP3 Encoder pluging, amongst others, supposedly being installed.  So how come I can't convert to MP3 while syncing with the iPod or in the TiVo server?

Anyone else seen this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 08:06:39 am »

I think that conversion is broken at the moment.  Take a look in the UPnP thread or on the TiVo board for more.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 08:38:18 am »

Any thoughts on this?  I installed build 205 and same thing - during install I can see the MP3 Encoder pluging, amongst others, supposedly being installed.  So how come I can't convert to MP3 while syncing with the iPod or in the TiVo server?

Anyone else seen this?

Have you went to Options and reset your encoding preferences?
I use the handheld tool to convert and drop the converted selections into a directory on my system. But it is working. Now, it could be the iPod plugin as well. But try setting your encoder options again first. They did change recently.

jaguar.x

• Junior Woodchuck
  • no matter what you do...
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 08:55:09 am »

Are you able to use MC to convert files from wma to mp3 (for instance)? I am having a trouble that cannot rip to mp3 file format
______
...for every begin there is another end to keep on beginning...

Catul

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 09:40:49 am »

I think that conversion is broken at the moment.

I'd searched the other boards, didn't really find anything recent pertaining to conversion - if it's broken, though, that explains my experience.

GHammer, I did check the Options | Encoder and set MP3 Encoder to use "--alt standard preset".  I'm not sure where this works though, because for the iPod there are separate options for the MP3 Encoder, and same with the TiVo Server (constant bitrate option only).

Jaguar, I don't rip with MC (use EAC/Lame for that), and don't have any WMA's that need converting.  The main conversions I need are some MPC files to be transferred to the iPod, and for the TiVo server to convert MPC and M4P files to MP3.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 11:32:05 am »

I'd say it's broken.

When I try to use 'Drives & Devices' and choose the entry for my share, I get nothing listed. If I try 'Send To' I will either get no response or MC crashes.

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Application Error
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1000
Date:      3/7/2005
Time:      1:26:18 AM
User:      N/A
Computer:   ISS7X7
Description:
Faulting application media center.exe, version 11.0.205.0, faulting module media center.exe, version 11.0.205.0, fault address 0x001c50e4.

Faulting application media center.exe, version 11.0.205.0, faulting module media center.exe, version 11.0.205.0, fault address 0x000a69e0.

Catul

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 07:36:58 am »

Build 213 fixes this issue and MP3 encoding works fine now - great stuff!!!

Question on the version of LAME used - is this 3.96?  I believe, in that version, the presets are used as "-alt preset standard" for example instead of "-preset standard".  So which should we use?

Also, can't there be an option to only convert non-MP3 files?  Seems to be a waste to reconvert files that are already at a decent bitrate - right now, the TiVo server says it's sharing all files with conversion.  When syncing to the iPod, there is the option to only convert non-MP3's; a similar option would be useful in the TiVo Server (and probably Library Server as well).

Thanks again, this is working very nicely!!!

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 08:01:53 am »

Build 213 fixes this issue and MP3 encoding works fine now - great stuff!!!

Question on the version of LAME used - is this 3.96?  I believe, in that version, the presets are used as "-alt preset standard" for example instead of "-preset standard".  So which should we use?

'-alt' is not required with 3.96.1 for sure.

Also, can't there be an option to only convert non-MP3 files?  Seems to be a waste to reconvert files that are already at a decent bitrate - right now, the TiVo server says it's sharing all files with conversion.  When syncing to the iPod, there is the option to only convert non-MP3's; a similar option would be useful in the TiVo Server (and probably Library Server as well).

There is a transfer function that also has the ability to transcode while skipping same filetype. It is broken on this and the previous builds though.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 09:08:30 am »

Does EAC still provide capabilities that MC cannot ?  In other words if both are using the same LAME encoders, what other things is EAC doing that MC may or may not be doing?

Thanks!

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 05:12:39 pm »

I seem to remember that when all the comparisons were done between MC & EAC last year, MC came out equal to or better than EAC. In addition, using MC also saves a few steps, by being able to analyze and import automatically.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Catul

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 02:20:26 pm »

Spoke too soon :(   When syncing to an iPod, MP3 Encoder now converts EVERY file (even though most are already MP3's); wrote about it in detail here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26490.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up