INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta Forum  (Read 2550 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Beta Forum
« on: March 04, 2005, 10:25:07 am »

I would like to see a 'Beta" forum.

Many times people post a problem and you have to ask, "Do you have 11 or 10". And, threads get "page 2'd" quickly with the alpha/beta and normal support being combined as it is.

Splitting "release" and "alpha/beta" would be a good thing.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Beta Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:14:36 pm »

I would like to see a 'Beta" forum.

Many times people post a problem and you have to ask, "Do you have 11 or 10". And, threads get "page 2'd" quickly with the alpha/beta and normal support being combined as it is.

Splitting "release" and "alpha/beta" would be a good thing.

you would need to ask anyway.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 03:01:02 pm »

I really think this should be done as well.  It makes sence and is very common for software products.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:33:20 pm »

you would need to ask anyway.

Why? If you post in the Alpha/Beta forum, you didn't get there by accident.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 07:39:39 pm »

No, It's The Human Factor

People Who Are Using Music Match And Windows Media Player Post In The Forum Thinking This Is The Support Site For That Software.

People With Media Jukebox Post In The Media Center Forum, People With Media Center Post In Media Jukebox Forum. We Need To Move Threads From Time To Time.

People Do Not Normaly Post There Version Or Know What It Is, Or How To Find Out What It Is.

You May Know And I May Know, But Most Don't Know, That Is A Fact Of Life.

Most People Do Not Work At N.A.S.A. Or Are Qualified To (Some At NASA Need To Be Working At Wal-Mart).

It Is A Fact, Like It Or Not.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 10:40:25 pm »

I would agree with you king on all points, except you forget that MC11 is beta.  You can only find it by coming to the forum, hence if you are using it you are probably aware of what you are doing.  I say probably because there will allways be some exceptions, but I realise that there is still a pretty good chance that people using mc 10 will decide to post in the beta forum.  This could be mitigated by posting a link to the beta forum only in matt's release threads.  I know that isn't foolproof but it is pretty close...

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 10:53:23 pm »

I must just be incredibly dense.

I can't quite figure out how having a "General Support" and a "Beta" forum would possibly be more confusing to new and old alike than coming into a forum where two completely apps are being discussed. And one of those is under development with frequent changes.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 12:00:23 am »

i think its because they want people that currently use MC 10 to give MC 11 a shot. If there were 2 forums, you get half the attention than if there was 1, the more experienced users will try the beta and not really bother with the v10 forum. These experienced users are more able to help the newbies.

It just trying to have one place everyone can go to.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 02:24:08 am »

i think its because they want people that currently use MC 10 to give MC 11 a shot.

If that were so, then I'd think mentioning v11 on the homepage would be a better place to generate attention.

The download link is for v10, the 'news' is that v10 has been released. Nothing I see mentions v11.

Hey, it's just an idea. Everyone likes all issues in one confusing place, who am I to argue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 07:49:19 am »

i think its because they want people that currently use MC 10 to give MC 11 a shot. If there were 2 forums, you get half the attention than if there was 1, the more experienced users will try the beta and not really bother with the v10 forum. These experienced users are more able to help the newbies.
Bingo.  Well put.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 01:21:37 pm »

Bingo.  Well put.

They did split off the Beta forum a couple versions back... maybe 9 Beta.... and this is exactly what happened. All the advice started to sound like "I haven't used version X for months, but if I remember correctly, there might have been an option for... blah blah blah."

It was hard to get good help... and for those who like to help... it was hard to give good advice.

While messy, the mixing of the two forums has proved to be the best solution so far.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?
Pages: [1]   Go Up