INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Control of Soundcard's Analog Inputs  (Read 3078 times)

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
MC Control of Soundcard's Analog Inputs
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:51:52 am »

Hi All,

I use MC in a HTPC where the primary focus is on music.  Right now, one of my goals is to use this pc to eliminate the tradtional preamp in my system.  Does anyone know of a way to get MC to use/control the analog input(s) on a soundcard? This would be after a/d conversion of course ;D   I believe MC has at least some visibility to these inputs because they are used in the recorder tool.

John/Matt can this be done with a plugin? Or is it more along the lines of a feature request??

Thanks!!!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: MC Control of Soundcard's Analog Inputs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 02:53:45 pm »

How about using Girder for that? www.promixis.com
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 09:04:59 pm »

Hi Mastiff,

Thanks for the reply.  Girder is what I use now and my .gml works fairly well.  I just need to spend some more time learning and tweaking Girder to work out a few issues.  You don't happen to know how to get Girder to control an app while it's in the system tray do you?

As far as using MC to control a soundcard's analog input(s), for one thing,  I have it in my head that it would be better to have the master volume in MC control everything, as opposed to using the master output from my soundcard.  I believe MC works with 32 bit precision and my SC only 24 bits, so MC has a few more bits to play with as far as DSP operations are concerned, which I believe volume control, amongst other things fall into that category.  Now this may be a wash with 16 bit source material, but looking to the future...

Second, just as including management for JPEG, video, documents, etc. was a natural extension of MC's existing capabilities, it "seems" that access/control of a SC's analog inputs is one of the few things MC has yet to address from a media/pc point of view, although I'm sure everyone has a different list  ;D 

For me, having this "feature" would help to round-out MC's capabilities and simplify it's use as front-end for a pc based audio system. I would guess that I'm not alone here, albeit in the minority...for the moment  ;)

dwightk

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:32:37 am »

I agree that having MC control the analog inputs would be a great new feature.  I am putting together a multizone solution, using the M-Audio Delta 410 for playing MP3s to multi zones.  Right now I am planning on getting a Russound or Nuvo multi-zone solution for the Amp & zone switching, as I need to have a couple of analog inputs (radio & CD player (my wife insists on the CD changer even though CDs are in MP3...).  If MC could control the analog inputs, and I could route the Analog in to any of the M-audio outputs, I would put just use the M-audio as the pre-amp and buy a much less expensive multizone amp rather than the russound/Nuvo solution.

Dwight

chrishallowell

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:17:53 pm »

"If MC could control the analog inputs, and I could route the Analog in to ANY of the M-audio outputs."

Could you also route them to ALL of the M-audio outputs?
Pages: [1]   Go Up