INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 Feature Request  (Read 1602 times)

sbl

• Recent member
MC12 Feature Request
« on: March 27, 2005, 01:24:15 pm »

I figured I'd get a head start here.

The one thing that would, I think, dramatically improve the usability of MC is to use multithreading effectively.  From what I can tell, it doesn't use threads at all or at least doesn't for the UI.  This is why MC goes comatose for 10-15 seconds while it is "updating database".  This will become even more important in the future as multicore systems become popular.  Threaded applications will feel much livelier when things can be done in parallel.

But even on today's systems, putting background tasks in a separate thread can yield a big improvement.
Steve

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC12 Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 01:50:17 pm »

You shouldn't be having the "Saving Database" freeze.  If you are, it is most likely because your library is living on a network share rather than a local drive (not the media files, but the database files MC uses).  MC doesn't like this, and the result is the freeze you're experiencing.

Check out this thread for a discussion of the issue and here for an idea on how to share your library over a network.  Of course, the other option is just to use the built-in library server (which is MUCH simpler).

MC does actually make use of multi-threading (for example, when saving the tags changes it is now done in a separate thread).  I agree that there could be better use, but your issue can probably be solved now...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC12 Feature Request
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:00:27 pm »

MC uses multi-threading extensively.

I'm going to close this thread.  We're not thinking about MC12 yet. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up