INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 10 uninstall?  (Read 3041 times)

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
MC 10 uninstall?
« on: April 06, 2005, 07:52:05 am »

there was a botched uninstall of MC 10 the first time I tried installing 11. (I think that's what happened anyway.. it's been a while.) The Program Files\J River\Media Center 10 folder is gone, as are any obvious reference to MC 10 in my registry. (There are references to "Media Jukebox" however in both HKLM\Software\JRiver and HKCU\Software\JRiver but I'm afriad to whack them.)

With that as background, I observe the following:

1. Every time I try to install a new build of MC 11 the installer asks me if I want to remove MC 10. I click Yes but it doesn't obey.

2. "Add or Remove Programs" lists Media Center 10 but clicking the Change/Remove button does nothing.

Is there any way I can definitively remove all references to MC 10 forever? (I think I tried reinstalling then removing MC 10 but that didn't work.) I'm not afraid of hacking the registry if necessary.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 10 uninstall?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 08:13:48 am »

I've seen the same kind of thing with other programs so I think Windows may be part of the problem.  Did you try a google search?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 08:58:53 am »

I cleaned recently one of my PCs that had some mixed things inside the registry after trying several MJ and MC versions.

At first I used the MC11 and MC10 uninstallers. Then I removed the remaining JRiver associated folders in the "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings" folders (Hidden files display must be enabled first). At last I cleaned the registry. I removed everything under JRiver in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. (If you have a multi-user PC you may want to check the HKEY_USERS part too.)

Then I installed MC11 back again. (You need to restore your license after cleaning the registry.)

I made a library backup before the cleaning, so it was easy to restore the database after the clean install of MC11. Only the user defined options were lost. It could be a good idea to make notes about the current options.

At first you could uninstall MC11. That should remove a part of the mess. Then you could install and uninstall MC10 once again. That should remove the MC10 part. After that you could do the folder and registry cleaning steps (if there is anything left).

Remember to copy the library backup file, all media files (if there are any) and your cover art folder to some safe place outside the MC folders.

EDIT

In case you like to buy an upgrade license, you should buy it before uninstalling MC11 and cleaning the registry, because it is not possible after that. (You must reinstall and register your previous version again for getting the upgrade price.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:00:26 am »

If it helps, the Windows uninstall list is here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Take care whenever making registry changes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:33:26 pm »

thanks all for the tips. i'll give some of the untried ones a shot and get back!

...todd
Pages: [1]   Go Up