INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get multiple artists to sort/show up correctly?  (Read 1857 times)

NumberEleventeen

• Recent member
How to get multiple artists to sort/show up correctly?
« on: April 08, 2005, 08:53:26 pm »

Lots of my mp3's are tagged like DMZ/Eminem/Obie Trice. To show the songs with multiple artists. Remnaints of when I used Windows Media Player 10... It would automaticly update tags and multiple artists worked like that. The songs would show up in the artist/album view for each artist individually. And the albums would show the full album, not just the tracts by that artist solely.

Can I create a view to make media center 11 beheave more like that? Like so when I click an album under an artist it would show the tracts with artist/artist/artist that included that artist.. And not just the specificly named ones.

Having it sort multiple artists would be nice too, but I guess that feature isn't implemented yet.

CDvd

• World Citizen
Re: How to get multiple artists to sort/show up correctly?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 11:32:39 pm »

You can try this :

1 - Create a new custom field (Tools/Options/Library/Custom Fields/Add) named "Artists" and make it a "List (Semicolon Delimited)" (as Data Type)

2 - Make sure that all songs with multiple artist have a the semicolon caracter ";" as the artits separator. For example change "DMZ/Eminem/Obie Trice" to "DMZ;Eminem;Obie Trice" (*)

3 - Select all songs in your library and use "library tools/Move-Copy Fields" to copy all information from the "Artist" tags to the "Artists" ones.

This way, if you create a view scheme with the new tag "Artists", you won't see the "DMZ;Eminem;Obie Trice" artist. There will be 3 different artists and each of them will show you the correct songs.

It can still be a hassle to do things this way, because each time you import new songs, you'll have to do the Copy-Move Fields thing....

(*) : If you have a lot of songs with multiple artists and "/" as a separtor, you can use the "Library Tools/Find and replace" tool to change the "/" caracter to the ";" one in the artist tag.

David
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

UnknownID

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 12:10:56 am »

It sounds to me like this is how the normal "artist" filed should be handled. ;D ;D ;D

UnknownID

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 07:27:10 am »

Agreed.

sonicbox

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 11:42:46 pm »

I really miss the multiple artist (& composer) behavior I see with WMP 10.  I hope this gets added to MC.

FYI: The MP3 ID3v2 specification says use to use "/" as a delimeter between multiple names in fields like Artist and Composer.  MC just ignores that multiple names can exist in normal metadata and treats it as a single item.

MC won't even see the multiple artist metadata in my WMA Lossless content.  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up