INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fresh Install of MC11 with library restore =?  (Read 16722 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Fresh Install of MC11 with library restore =?
« on: April 08, 2005, 09:25:38 pm »

What types of settings does a library backup keep?  If I were to uninstall MC 11 and delete all files but the library backup and of course media, what settings/customizations would MC restore from the library backup?  What would I lose if anything that was mine and not originally MC?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: Fresh Install of MC11 with library restore =?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 12:22:25 am »

when uninstalling i get this option: "remove media center library files"

What exactly does this mean?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 12:33:23 am »

Just uninstalled MC then reinstalled and absolutely nothing changed! wtf

Basically I am trying to test a bug and would like a fresh install, please advise.

I haven't been able to find any default reset buttons or anything like that?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 01:19:44 am »

Uninstalled, deleted every MC file I could find.  Reinstalled and MC showes up like it was before.  What in the world is going on?  Do I really have to buy a new computer?  Trying to get rid of a bug and would like to see if it is MC iitself, my computer, or settings I have changed in MC.  I love MC but this is getting rediculous.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 07:16:01 am »

Did you remove all MC entries in Windows Registry? If you did not, that's why when you reinstall some of your old settings keep reappering.

Now the question... whih registry entries have to be deleted? Not sure of the answer... a more experienced fellow interacter will surely help on that.

lOth

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 07:30:46 am »

normally, your back-up library should just contain the library itself (that is file locations, tags and additional infos such as playcount, audio analysis, etc) and your playlists/smartlists.

If other non-default settings are kept after a clean install it's probably because registry entries were not deleted when you uninstalled MC.

Could you be more specific and tell us what are the settings 'restored' with your clean install?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 07:31:17 am »

What types of settings does a library backup keep? If I were to uninstall MC 11 and delete all files but the library backup and of course media, what settings/customizations would MC restore from the library backup? What would I lose if anything that was mine and not originally MC?

I think...

It keeps all library fields information including the user defined custom fields and playlists. It does not include anything from MC Options (except those custom fields) or Customized Views. Correct me if I am wrong.

In my opinion it could/should have advanced options for keeping the user options and views too. For example, that would make transporting MC to new a new PC easier. Of course, some options are depended on the current hardware so it should be selective.

when uninstalling i get this option: "remove media center library files"

What exactly does this mean?

I suppose it means just what it says. It deletes the library data. I have not tried it and I don't know if it deletes just the current library or all libraries listed in Library Manager.

Just uninstalled MC then reinstalled and absolutely nothing changed! wtf

Basically I am trying to test a bug and would like a fresh install, please advise.

I haven't been able to find any default reset buttons or anything like that?
Uninstalled, deleted every MC file I could find. Reinstalled and MC showes up like it was before. What in the world is going on? Do I really have to buy a new computer? Trying to get rid of a bug and would like to see if it is MC iitself, my computer, or settings I have changed in MC. I love MC but this is getting rediculous.

Many things are kept in the Windows registry. As far as I understand uninstalling MC11 should delete its own registry entries and leave the entries that are not dedicated to MC11 only.

I cleaned all traces of MJ and MC from one of my PCs because I had some registry problems. I explained that in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26917.msg186615#msg186615

Edit: edited a bit.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 12:16:22 pm »

Thanks guys.  I will use your suggestions. :)

Edit:

Alex your uninstall post worked.  I uninstalled, deleted in both program files and documents and settings, and then removed all JRiver registry values.  Whether or not this will fix the stumbling bug >:( :( :'(, only time will tell.  Fortunately that involes listening to some of the greatest music ever created. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up