INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing songs in library  (Read 2792 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Replacing songs in library
« on: April 08, 2005, 11:47:24 pm »

I am thinking about replacing some of my low bitrate songs with newly downloaded high bitrate songs.  What would be the best way to replace the new song with the old songs tags, as well as location etc.?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
Re: Replacing songs in library
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 08:18:16 pm »

The way I've been doing it is to:

1) copy the filename of the old song
2) delete the old song (place it in the recycle bin, just in case the new one is bad)
3) rename the new song with the filename of the old song
4) place the new song into the directory where the old song came from
5) In MC, update tags from library, then
6) Update library from tags.
7) And if you do audio analysis, you might want to redo that as well.

Hope this helps.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Replacing songs in library
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 04:35:15 am »

In case someone wants to rerip old albums in better quality changing also the file format is quite possible.

I have done this many times:

I have an old album that I have ripped in MP3 format. The files are perfectly tagged, but the audio quality is not good enough anymore. I want to rerip it in the Monkey's Audio format.

At first I rename the old album files (which are in a separate album folder) from properties using [Track #] as the only rule. Then I use the Find and Replace tool for replacing the .mp3 filename extensions with .ape.

Then I rerip. I rip into a temporary folder and use again [Track #] as the only rule.

I get filenames like this: 01.ape, 02.ape, 03.ape, etc.

After ripping I remove the new APE files from the library (or use a temporary library for ripping).

Then I replace the old files with the new files using Windows Explorer.

Inside MC I need to do three quick steps for the now replaced files in this order:
Update Tags From Library, Update Library From Tags and Rename Files From Properties (using a proper rule).

The last step is to reanalyze the files. The difference is usually very small, but I want it to be perfect.

In this way I can preserve all library information, including the statistical information and original import dates.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up