INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11: Library Browser Enhancement (w/pics)  (Read 2498 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
MC11: Library Browser Enhancement (w/pics)
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:47:48 pm »

Under Library Browser -> ALBUMS you have the choice of Play and Files for each album displayed.  Can we get another choice for Artist so that you easily go to the ARTISTS tab and have the Artist selected for the Album you just came from?  Then, you could easily click Albums from there and see all the Artist's albums easily.

I've spent alot of time using LB lately and I'm constantly wanting to go see what other albums for an artist I have in my library when I'm reviewing the ALBUMS list (view all).  The ARTISTS view has Albums as a choice.  Only seems logical that the inverse should be true (ALBUMS should have Artist choice).

Here's what I'm talking about in pictures (red underline for highlighting the change in these pictures):

Start in ALBUMS (view all):

Click new Artist choice and go here in ARTISTS:

Click Albums choice and go to all the albums for the artist without having to go back to ARTISTS and find (scroll) the Artist for the album you saw (harder even if you don't remember the artist in the ALBUMS view):

:D

brossmac

• World Citizen
Re: MC11: Library Browser Enhancement (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:04:17 pm »

I second this.  Thanks for requesting it (along with the groovy pics!)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 01:28:18 am »

I noticed this omission as well. And it does seem logical to have that option.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:38:00 am »

you can either select the album and then click on artists tab!
Tamer

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 06:25:59 am »

you can either select the album and then click on artists tab!

That does work to display the Album's artist in the ARTIST tab.  You should try it and you will see that with all albums displayed in the library and displaying the ALBUMS tab, when you click on any album and then click the ARTISTS tab you do not get the selected album's artist displayed.  Thus, my request for enhancement.

Pink Waters

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 06:36:34 am »

thats is a normal behavoir because showing an artists lays under the genre and showing albums lays under the artists..! so how could you suppose to get an artist in what tab? ;)
Tamer

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 06:39:12 am »

thats is a normal behavoir because showing an artists lays under the genre and showing albums lays under the artists..! so how could you suppose to get an artist in what tab? ;)

Look at the pictures above, you will see what I'm proposing.  Click on the Artist option (underlined in red) and it jumps to ARTISTS tab and automatically selects the artist in the ARTISTS tab for the album's Artist for the Album option you just clicked on.  Pretty simple and very easy (then) to get to the artist in ARTISTS for any album. As it is today, you have to click on ARTISTS tab and then go find the Artist in the giant libary listing (presuming you even know that artist from memory when you saw the Album in the ALBUMS view), not very user friendly.

Pink Waters

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:48:28 am »

i think this option is not needed because there is only limited actions you will do in the artist tab and that is the purpose of your suggestion... because if you wanted to go to a certain album you will find the artist first
Tamer

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 07:35:08 am »

i think this option is not needed because there is only limited actions you will do in the artist tab and that is the purpose of your suggestion... because if you wanted to go to a certain album you will find the artist first

You got it wrong.  I want to go to the ARTISTS from an ALBUMS view (not the other way around).  Anyway, I don't think you'll ever understand (at least the others understand).  You should try lookin at 1000s of albums in ALBUMS and then try to go to the artist for any one of those ALBUMS (it's not a fun, easy process going back to ARTISTS then having to manually go find the artist, select it and click ALBUMS, for example).

Pink Waters

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 07:38:13 am »

Anyway, I don't think you'll ever understand (at least the others understand)
Thank you very very much  ::)
Tamer

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 08:00:54 am »

PMFJI, but let's say I have this scenario. I know there's this album I really like. I go to the Albums tab and find it. Yup, that's it. Hmmmm, what other albums does this artist have? In fact there's no way on the Albums tab to tell me who that artist is. (Hovering over the album cover or number of files provides other views, but a hover over the Album name showing the Artist name would be nice.) But anyway in order to find out what other albums this artist has (if I remembered who the artist is), I have to click on the Artists tab, try to find the Artist, and click on that Artist's Albums link. Ahhh, there's all the albums of that artist.

What is being proposed is an Artists link on the Albums tab that would make this process 2 clicks. Click on the proposed Artist link which brings you to the Artists tab with the artist automatically selected and then click on Albums.

Another suggestion to make it only one click is on the Albums tab, add another link called Artist's Albums which would change the Albums view to just the albums for that artist.
Jeff
Jeff

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 09:04:15 am »

Thanks Jeff.  Well put and another great suggestion for a single-click option.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 09:07:14 am »

In fact there's no way on the Albums tab to tell me who that artist is. (Hovering over the album cover or number of files provides other views, but a hover over the Album name showing the Artist name would be nice.)

Yeah, not being able to see the Artist is frustrating.  I've learned to click on the Files options for an Album, look at the Artist, click on the ARTISTS tab, scroll around (or click Artists beginning letter), find the Artist, click the Artist, then either click Albums or the ALBUMS tab.  Seem like too many steps to anybody?

Here's another suggestion:

How about enhancing the right-click Locate feature to include Library Browser Artists and Library Browser Artist Albums?  Would sure make it way easier to get to a particular Artist or Artist Album list in LB from Playing Now, Media Library, etc. with a single-click. Also, would make LB more integrated and not so 'out there by itself' as it seems now.

JONCAT

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 09:44:28 am »

I agree, and when MC11 final is out, I hope JRiver listens to many of the concerns such as this. There are a few things I have ready to propose. I'll add your link to my list; maybe we can start a feature suggestion/bug list.

JC

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 10:04:36 am »

You should try lookin at 1000s of albums in ALBUMS and then try to go to the artist for any one of those ALBUMS (it's not a fun, easy process going back to ARTISTS then having to manually go find the artist, select it and click ALBUMS, for example).

Yep its hard.  i always used the Locate Album/Artist ..but youre talking in the LB. It's a nice idea.

Not really used the LB so far as it was no better than the album thumbnail smartlist i had currently, pretty to look at but not much else. Maybe they make it more usable in v12, i bet they will.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 04:47:59 pm »

It's a good idea.

Remind us again when the ball starts rolling on the next version and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

UnknownID

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 07:28:06 pm »

What? No point release? ;D

UnknownID

Pages: [1]   Go Up