INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver -- please, please talk to Logitech support!  (Read 7062 times)

hakuin

• World Citizen
  • Old pond, leap-splash-a frog.
JRiver -- please, please talk to Logitech support!
« on: May 07, 2005, 01:49:06 pm »

Based on the number of postings in these boards there seem to be many people who use the media keys on logitech keyboards in conjunction with MC.  The trick of adding a line to the players.ini file and adding a registry key has allowed logitech keyboards to work fine with all versions of MC except MC11.   There seems to be no solution for those of us who have upgraded to MC11.

I posted on the logitech support boards and after receving no replies, Logitech support "graciously" stepped in to answer my post....a few days later I received their underwhelming answer:

"The JRiver's Media Center 11 is not a supported media player in the iTouch 2.22 software. Logitech does not have any information available about configuring the iTouch 2.22 software to use the JRiver's Media Center 11 Media Player."   

Note -- just about every other player out there IS supported by Logitech, including a bunch of fairly obscure ones. Is there any chance that someone from JRiver could intervene here to help the situation? 

I use the Media Keys so much when listening to music while working on my computer that I am probably going to downgrade to MC10 . There seem to be numerous people that have posted comments here saying they have downgraded as well.   If the media keys worked fine on all previous versions of MC, there must be some solution for us with MC11??

lEE

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: JRiver -- please, please talk to Logitech support!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 03:44:10 pm »

I have a dream...about full support, as in playing track and minutes shown in the DiNovo media pad. But I'm afraid that with Logitech that's just a dream... Probably the least helpful support people I have ever met, with a possible exeption for Samsung, but that was another (TV) story...
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:48:35 pm »

I checked out the links that Marko provided above (thanks for these)....the hacks seem to apply the newer keyboards and software.  Uninstalling the logitech software (iTouch or the newer app) renders useless the non-media keys on the keyboard, so for me that doesn't work.

JRiver... help!   It seems like what we need is to provide Logitech support the the codes/interface info into MC11 so that they can they give us back the players.ini line and reg entries to add.......   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 08:08:51 am »

Uninstalling the logitech software (iTouch or the newer app) renders useless the non-media keys on the keyboard, so for me that doesn't work.
Are you sure of that?  I don't think so.

The best thing I can recommend is that you and others who want support let Logitech know loud and clear.  Find the product manager's name and start an e-mail campaign.

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 10:00:54 am »

I've done this (let Logitech know loud and clear), but my intepretation of what they have said to me (and other MC users via their posts) is that Logitech needs info from JRiver.  If the players.ini and reg hack has worked in all versions of MC through MC10, and now the hack doesn't work, then something has clearly changed with MC...and what Logitech needs to know is what's changed. 

I am not technical enough to know what lingo to use to describe what exactly this information woiuld be called -- keyboard input codes to MC??   I would be happy to try to get Logitech to agree to help if we get them info about what keyboard related codes have changed in MC11....  if you guys are willing to provide me/them the info....

Lee

Lee

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 10:26:07 am »

I replied to the last support response I got from Logitech with the response below:

Dear Logitech,

There are many people who use your keyboards and who use JRiver's Media Center and are now unable to have functionality from the media keys.  To prove this, I guess I could get a "email logitech"  campaign going on the JRiver message boards, but that seems inefficient and would waste a lot of logitech time/effort. 

The information I provided in my original support question (the additional line we add to players.ini and the registry entries) currently allow Logitech keyboards to work fine with all versions of Media Center through 10.  The players.ini and registry modifications don't work with the current version of Media Center (MC11).  What information would you need from j. river to be able to tell us how to get logitech keyboard media keys working with the latest version of Media Center?  I would be happy to be a liason get this information to you if you tell me what info it is that you need.  I suspect that this is a very simple fix that would make a lot of Logitech (and JRiver) users happy.

Thanks,
Lee

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 12:07:22 pm »

If you can find anyone at Logitech who is willing to talk, please give them my e-mail address as a contact and let them know we would be grateful for any cooperation.

Thanks.

jimh at jriver.com

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 12:53:41 pm »

Thanks.  I'm on it! Will let you all know what happens....stay tuned....

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 09:43:57 pm »

I wanted to note for all who are following this topic that uninstalling iTouch software does seem to work.  I disabled itouch.exe as a startup app, and rebooted.  While many of the "special" keys (home, search, favorites, messenger, etc) no longer work, the forward/back/play/pause/stop media key DO work with MC11 when it is and is not the in-focus application.   I'll take properly working media keys over the "shopping" and "webcam" keys any day., :)

Lee

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 10:14:30 pm »

This sounds simular to the

Remote Wonder prob. ?

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 12:00:51 am »

Its the same for the new Microsoft keyboard. I've resorted to stop installing any programs that comes with the keyboard (rendering all other buttons on my keyboard useless but I couldn't care less about those useless button :D).
Don't Panic!

JONCAT

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 10:28:08 am »

What Logitech systems are people using...model numbers.

I am using the LX700 wireless keyboard and mouse, and ALL my button work w/ the .ini. hack.

I am using MC11.261

JC

UnknownID

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 10:39:59 am »

What Logitech systems are people using...model numbers.

I am using the LX700 wireless keyboard and mouse, and ALL my button work w/ the .ini. hack.

I am using MC11.261

JC

Doesn't that use the Setpoint software? The problem is with the iTouch software for the older keyboards; I was never able to get any of the posted hacks to work with iTouch.

Cordless Freedom Optical

I had to uninstall the iTouch software to get the basic media keys working, but I didn't really use the other buttons anyway, so this was fine with me.

It would be great if this could work again. Let me know if you need any more information.

UnknownID

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 10:42:20 am »

I'm using Logitech Cordless Elite keyboard with MC 11.0.261.  It uses the itouch not setpoint software.  players.ini hack worked fine with itouch.exe running until MC v11

Stef

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 08:58:50 pm »

Hi,

I'm using MC 11.0.254. I have a diNovo Keyboard and Mediapad that are not working with MC. I never tried to make it work. I just wish it would naturaly.

My SetPoint version is 2.22.124.

It would be cool if this function was working.

Thank you,

Stéphane

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 10:21:11 pm »

Doesn't that use the Setpoint software? The problem is with the iTouch software for the older keyboards; I was never able to get any of the posted hacks to work with iTouch.

I had to uninstall the iTouch software to get the basic media keys working, but I didn't really use the other buttons anyway, so this was fine with me.

I did the same thing.  I have an older keyboard, I believe it's the Internet Commander or something like that.  Not wireless.  I uninstalled iTouch and installed SetPoint.  Wasn't sure if it would be compatible but figured I'd try.  Just like others, some of the other buttons don't work (e-mail, shopping, etc.), but I never used them.  The media controls, however, are indispensible.  And now they work!!

jgreen

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 11:37:53 pm »

I have a Microsoft Media keyboard and it works with MC 10 but NOT MC11 (I thought it was just a driver thing til I read these posts).  In a contest of wills between MSFT and jriver, jriver must adapt.  I'll upgrade when you make your software work with the pre-exisitng keyboard.  In the meantime it works with MC10 and the keyboard is a bigger priority than the upgrade to MC11.

mooseman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 01:56:15 am »

Another post for the not working with MC11 and Msft Media keyboard.  I may roll back to 10.0 as well.

This doesn't look like a logitech only issue.

BernieD

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 02:57:09 am »

I'm using MC 11.0.251 and the diNovo Keyboard, Media Pad and mouse.  Most of the time all the buttons worked, but sometimes they didn't.  There seems to be a problem with SetPoint. (2.22)  50% of the time I would start up my system, the mouse wouldn't be recognised.  Sometimes it would say the battery was running flat (when it was fully charged) and the media pad would prompt me with the mail I received two or three posts ago (never the latest).  I've tried many versions of setpoint and they all had a differing problem.
Last week, I unistalled setpoint.  I was surprised, all the bluetooth connections still work and this time reliably.  The mouse is recognised everytime I start up and ALL the buttons on the keyboard are recognised.  That is, all the media buttons work with MC as well as the MAIL key (which I always use).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 12:28:15 pm »

In the next build of MC 11:

NEW: When Logitech iTouch is installed, MC will automatically integrate into it. (may require latest iTouch to be installed)
NEW: MC responds to multimedia app commands from remotes, non-standard keyboards, etc. (like v10 did, but maintains v11's superior handling with standard keyboards)

Thanks everyone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 12:50:20 pm »

NEW: When Logitech iTouch is installed, MC will automatically integrate into it. (may require latest iTouch to be installed)
NEW: MC responds to multimedia app commands from remotes, non-standard keyboards, etc. (like v10 did, but maintains v11's superior handling with standard keyboards)

Thanks everyone.

No.  Thank you!

UnknownID

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 01:51:45 pm »

Thanks everyone.
I'm curious, did you actually get in touch with someone at Logitech or is this your own solution?

UnknownID

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 02:03:35 pm »

It's Matt's solution.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 02:17:36 pm »

Are you serious!?!?!?!   :o

* glynor does the dance of joy!

Assuming this works, I will be the happiest little MC user there is.  Yippie!  Thank you Matt!  You are a scholar and a gentleman.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jgreen

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 06:14:24 pm »

MC 11.0.264:  YOU COMPLETE ME!
As promised, the latest rev works PERFECTLY with my MSFT multimedia keyboard.  Thank you, guys, for your hard work and great results--and rapid turnaround!

So scthom--how's that FLAC encoder coming along?

UnknownID

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 07:02:25 pm »

Nice work on this :)

UnknownID

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 10:17:25 pm »

It does work, including with the Remote Wonder (and both my Microsoft Keyboard and my Logitech one).  However, the functions still don't work when operating in Full Screen Mode for me.  Can anyone else confirm this?

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 10:42:24 pm »

Remote wonder

Wonders will never cease with MC

;D

Works here.

J-Team, I also notice Yens (Pgh. thing)

Got add, in last level menu (Theater view) fix.

Thanks

Now I got to do more testing.

Was not going to use MC11 on HTPC.

Now you got me thinking.

Still dont like, route to playing now and back.

But, we'll see.

Thanks

Wallace

;D

jgreen

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 11:14:59 pm »

Glynor--
MSFT Multimedia keyboard v1.0--keys are still functional in full screen mode; for audio, at least.

modelmaker

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 11:17:48 pm »

ATI RW is sorta working....the player controls work ONLY in standard view, volume does not work in any view. I do not have iTouch installed.

Media Center Registered 11.0.264 -- C:\Program Files\J River MC 11\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1645 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 309 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1612 (xpsp2.041207-1145) / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3900.7032 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

Listening to: 'One (Hu)'man One Vote' from 'Premium Gold Collection' by 'Johnny Clegg & Savuka' on Media Center 11
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 07:58:59 am »

Glynor--
MSFT Multimedia keyboard v1.0--keys are still functional in full screen mode; for audio, at least.

You're right.  I just did some more testing though, and I'm not getting the correct results using my Microsoft keyboard now. 

1.  Volume doesn't work using Remote Wonder (though used to) - I'm using system volume not internal.
2.  Remote Wonder has no control while in Full Screen View (I haven't tried Mini View but Modelmaker seems to indicate that it doesn't work).
3.  My Microsoft Keyboard keys are "double" activating.  For example, when I press Play/Pause while playing back a track, it Pauses, but then Immediately plays again.  Pressing FF/Next skips ahead two tracks, and RW/Back skips back two.  Also, pressing Play while stopped (but having a file selected) does not play the track (becaused MC goes immediately into Pause mode).  The Volume does work on the Microsoft keyboard.  This applies to both Audio and Video.

I have not yet had time to do thorough testing on my Logitech keyboard (because of the other problems I had last night), so as far as I know this only applies to my Microsoft Keyboard.  I do have the Microsoft keyboard "software" installed, but the multimedia buttons are set to their defaults.

jgreen

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 09:37:12 am »

Glynor--
I confirm your "double activation".  I will press the "pause/play" button and the playback will pause and then resume.  I noticed it right away but it was late at night and I just figured I was hearing double.  However it's an intermittant phenomenon, and this morning I can't repeat it at all.  So a good night's sleep appears to help, and also a reboot.  I think the reboot helped more, in this case.  But that's not to minimize the value of a good night's sleep in getting complex equipment to work properly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 10:14:39 am »

3.  My Microsoft Keyboard keys are "double" activating.  For example, when I press Play/Pause while playing back a track, it Pauses, but then Immediately plays again.  Pressing FF/Next skips ahead two tracks, and RW/Back skips back two.  Also, pressing Play while stopped (but having a file selected) does not play the track (becaused MC goes immediately into Pause mode).  The Volume does work on the Microsoft keyboard.  This applies to both Audio and Video.

You may need to either update your keyboard software or remove it altogether and let the default Windows code run.  The system is firing two commands for one keypress, which is a bug.  XP with no software or the latest Intellitype should work as expected.

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 10:21:03 am »

You may need to either update your keyboard software or remove it altogether and let the default Windows code run.  The system is firing two commands for one keypress, which is a bug.  XP with no software or the latest Intellitype should work as expected.

I dunno about this... prior to build 264 my Microsoft keyboard's multimedia keys worked fine. Now I'm getting the same error reported by others.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 10:51:08 am »

I dunno about this... prior to build 264 my Microsoft keyboard's multimedia keys worked fine. Now I'm getting the same error reported by others.

Hmm... maybe there's a different problem with our multi-handler approach.  They don't fight on any machines we've tried, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

It's amazing what a mess this area is -- every manufacturer has their own system for doing this stuff.  Ugh.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2005, 11:09:37 am »

I have logitech on my dev pc and MS on my htpc and, provided I don't load their software I find that all the media keys work fine.  It's just stuff like favourites, shopping etc that don't work.  Even the 'Home' key works and launches my browser without their software.  To anyone who is having trouble I would say try uninstalling the software first and reboot.
JLee

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2005, 12:39:47 pm »

Hmm... maybe there's a different problem with our multi-handler approach.  They don't fight on any machines we've tried, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

It's amazing what a mess this area is -- every manufacturer has their own system for doing this stuff.  Ugh.

Matt ... I'll try to uninstall my Intellitype and test it out tonight, and then see how it acts when I re-install Intellitype.  I'm not enamored of Intellitype on my MS Keyboard, so if I need to have it uninstalled ... Oh well.  About all I use it for is to re-assign some of the buttons to run different features in MC anyway!

The volume control loss on my ATI Remote Wonder (and lack of functionality in Full Screen and Theater View) is another story.  As you mentioned here to modelmaker (my Remote Wonder-using cohort) the volume command buttons were removed from Theater View....

My only way to change the volume level right now is to get up off of the couch (or in some cases come in from outside) and adjust the volume knob on my Klipsch system or to exit Theater View and use a mouse.  I'm pretty lazy when I'm not working, so this isn't ideal.   ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2005, 12:41:17 pm »

You may want to wait for the next build, as there are some more enhancements to the multimedia key handling coming.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up