INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC RAW image file support  (Read 1990 times)

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
MC RAW image file support
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:59:53 pm »

Hi,

Just looking for feedback on the RAW image file support (Based on David Coffin's DCRaw.c code.)  in the latest betas. 

.CRW, .CR2, .NEF, .PEF, .RAF, .ORF, .DNG and .SRF.  (.DNG and .SRF might not be in the build yet.) should all be supported.  Unfortunately I only have a lot of canon files.  (Guess which camera I own.)  So I was hoping that some Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, Oly, and Sony users might give it a shot.

Trying to speed some of this up right now.  But RAW files are big so....

Thanks!

Tom

IanG

Re: MC RAW image file support
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:50:48 pm »

I've tried .raf files from my Fuji S7000 - no problems, but is there anything specific you want to know?

Ian G.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 05:05:50 pm »

No, that's cool.  My sample files have come from google.  So I've been running with a pretty limited sample size.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 05:26:23 pm »

Thanks for this.

ORF works. I can see the images and tag them (in the library only). I cannot rotate them.

Perhaps I'll find MC's library useful for them. It seems that I can use "right-click > Send To (external)" for opening them in my Bibble RAW image editor. In general the RAW images, which are obtained directly from the camera sensor, are quite useless before making the necessary adjustments and saving them to a common file format.

Here's a full size Olympus sample:

Link (ORF in RAR package): Helsinki Railway Station Christmas illumination   - not anymore, removed
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

IanG

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 04:45:37 pm »

There may be a problem after all! After an import failed to find any .raf files I checked that RAW was set in the import options, and it wasn't there  (11.0.265) ?  I've installed 11.0.269 and it's back, but ....

Ian G. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 05:52:56 pm »

There may be a problem after all! After an import failed to find any .raf files I checked that RAW was set in the import options, and it wasn't there  (11.0.265) ?  I've installed 11.0.269 and it's back, but ....

Ian G. 

Check for updates is overwriting the file associations.  We'll fix this next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

IanG

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 02:54:24 am »

Check for updates is overwriting the file associations.  We'll fix this next build.

Thank you!

Ian G.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 12:01:53 pm »

It seems that MC gets wrong "Dimensions" information from ORF files. The size that shows up is about half of the real size. E.g. 1288 x 962 instead of 2560 x 1920.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 12:39:06 pm »

Hi,

That has been fixed.  By fixed I mean I now return the correct image size for informational purposes.  However, I decode the image as half size for speed.

The theory here is that half size is fine for slide shows and organizational purposes.  (Why import any images if you can't see them all?)  For printing and other uses of the files a RAW file user will almost certainly use dedicated software.  So it is a compromise.

The correct image size should now be returned.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 01:18:42 pm »

OK. I suppose the half size is a good compromise for internal decoding. It should be enough for on-screen usage. Though, from time to time I pause a running slideshow and zoom in for seeing a detail.

BTW, did you pick up the ORF sample image? I'll remove it from my server later.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:23:10 pm »

I've got it.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up